Rate the swp performance?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Rate the swp performance?

Postby ryanmjo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:09 am

He was okay for me. Did a better job than Milner at handling Cherundolo, but I think his miss was nearly as bad as Heskey's.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:12 am

brite blu sky wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I think SWP did the job he was asked to do pretty well ie.the defensive part of the game to control their right flank which Milner wasnt doing.
Going forward we saw quite a bit of the SWP we know where he wanted to run at people but rean into them .His effort was good and he was involved in a few good things.All in all , especially as he was on the left he did ok and I reckon Capello would have been happy with him.

This.Spot on.

i tend to disagree with Ted about his shot.. yes he should have buried it.. instead he played safe.. over conscious of making 'mistakes'.. like perhaps all the England players were apart from Gerrard (who looked relaxed). SWP is a bit inconsistent but i would say no more than a lot of other wingers. He can and has buried shots like that on many occasions and sometimes with total conviction and venom. I dont see it as a particular weakness in his game.
As fans we expect everything to be perfect it seems..

I watched SWP as a kid & he had it in him to do all of the things I've mentioned. The better the technique the more it stands up under pressure. If Beckham had been in the same position & produced the same finish we would all be criticising him. SWP is playing out wide for England, similar job to Beckham & had he worked at his game the way Beckham did, would be finishing moves to at least a comparible standard, which allied to his pace & trickery, would have made him a star in this England team. The natural ability was there. Beckham worked harder to improve.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby frozen_pea » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:07 pm

I think he played well compared to the rest of the team, but not a great performance.

His shot was disappointing, however I think being on the left caused that issue. When coming in from the right me seems to be able to strike with is right foot and can score.
I think because he's cut in from the left, the angle of the shot is very different, so he's tried to place it but it didn't work out.
Most wingers prefer cutting in on their stronger foot, but I think SWP prefers to be able to lash at the ball, it's what he's used to and more comfortable with.
frozen_pea
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Like many have said, he was brought on in order to stop America's right wing play, which he did very effectively and although he missed the goal, I would say he had a 6 out of 10 game. Saying that, I would've only rated one player higher, and that was Gerrard for his 1st half display.

The only thing I wanted to see was Joe Cole to come on and Shaun switch to the right. It was if Fabio was doing a Sven and playing not to lose, not seeming to allow Ashley Cole or Johnson get up the wings.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Slim » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Like many have said, he was brought on in order to stop America's right wing play, which he did very effectively and although he missed the goal, I would say he had a 6 out of 10 game. Saying that, I would've only rated one player higher, and that was Gerrard for his 1st half display.

The only thing I wanted to see was Joe Cole to come on and Shaun switch to the right. It was if Fabio was doing a Sven and playing not to lose, not seeming to allow Ashley Cole or Johnson get up the wings.

Cole maybe, but I thought Johnson was playing as a striker he spent so much time in the USA box.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Slim wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Like many have said, he was brought on in order to stop America's right wing play, which he did very effectively and although he missed the goal, I would say he had a 6 out of 10 game. Saying that, I would've only rated one player higher, and that was Gerrard for his 1st half display.

Cole maybe, but I thought Johnson was playing as a striker he spent so much time in the USA box.

i've spent a lot of time in USA box, and i'm a bald, defensive mid.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:26 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Slim wrote:

cheers

I prefer to attack the box myself DM, but each to their own.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Slim » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Slim wrote:

cheers

I prefer to attack the box myself DM, but each to their own.

Lack of decent meat.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum