NURNBERG SWOOP FOR MAK

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

NURNBERG SWOOP FOR MAK

Postby blue wine » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:57 pm

would be very sad to see him go! :-( always thought he would make it at city..

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/tr ... nberg.html

NURNBERG SWOOP FOR MAK

Nurnberg have signed Slovakian youngster Robert Mak for an undisclosed fee from Manchester City.

The 19-year-old, who has spent the last five years in England, has signed a three-year contract with the Bundesliga club, where he is expected to push for a place in the first team.

"Robbie is extremely quick as well as both technically and tactically well-educated," said Nurnberg's director of sport Martin Bader on his club's website.

"He wants to make the grade in the Bundesliga and the fact he has chosen to join us shows that young players see good prospects at Nurnberg."

Mak received advice from his two compatriots Marek Mintal and Robert Vittek, who have both shone for Nurnberg in recent years.

"Of course I know about Nurnberg - they have always been a big club for us Slovakians thanks to Marek Mintal and Robert Vittek," said the Slovakia Under-21 international.

"Marek advised me to move to Nurnberg and I am looking forward to it."
blue wine
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Re: NURNBERG SWOOP FOR MAK

Postby Blue in North London » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Best of luck to the lad. Always looked a decent prospect but we are setting our sights much higher these days. Nurnburg will be a good club for him.

FC Nurnburg have one thing in common with us - relegated the year after winning a championship.
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby Vhero » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Obviously not got what it takes otherwise we wouldn't have let him go.. A shame really but at least he got a professional contract and will be playing regular football now.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Vhero wrote:Obviously not got what it takes otherwise we wouldn't have let him go.. A shame really but at least he got a professional contract and will be playing regular football now.

i don't think we released him. i think he's been sold (or at least some kind of development fee will have been involved). He'll probably feel more comfortable in Europe (especially Eastern Germany) than being loaned out up and down England in the lower leagues.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Very very disappointed about this. One of the only half decent striking prospects to come out of our academy in years & he's not even had a sniff of the 1st team. Don't know whether he'll make it or not as I've never seen him play above his level but he has pace & scores goals so certainly should have been tried. I expected us to at least give him a crack pre season before making any decisions on his future.

Don't understand this at all.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:38 pm

My mate goes to all the youth and reserve games and is always singing Robbie's praises. Seems a shame to see him to go but if it's good for him then I'm sure it's good for both party's.

Do we have a sell on clause?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:08 pm

i thought they swooped for Mark Mak after seeing his "lone striker" moves in 5 aside.

Maybe not tho it seems.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby zuricity » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Er.....

Any of you lot ever seen the kid play ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:28 pm

zuricity wrote:Er.....

Why what's he done wrong when you've seen him? Admittedly I've only seen him about 10 or so times in his career but he's always looked quick & dangerous to me, in fact on average better than Weiss.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:02 pm

zuricity wrote:Er.....

Yes, I have.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:12 pm

He's behind Guedetti and Nimley, good move for him.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby aaron bond » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:38 pm

I've never seen him play so have no idea whether he is good enough or not, but let's be honest, an academy player will have to be potentially world class to get into our team now.

With our ambitions, we are no longer developing players either to sell onto bigger clubs or to earn their place in a mid/lower table team, we need players who can potentially play for a top 4 team. That's why so few players have made it into United and Chelsea's teams in recently years as they need world class players in their side pretty much all of the time.

I would love to have the spine of our team filled with academy players but the fact is we cannot be sympathetic anymore and hold on to players who won't make it at the top level. Our coaches and academy are all qualified enough and should be able to spot a potential star from our crop of players so if we let one leave I trust their opinion that the player will not be good enough.

The best way to judge is to get the young players in the reserves/academy all out on loan at Prem clubs or at least top Championship clubs. At least this will give us an idea if they can cut it at a decent level. With so much at stake now though in the Premier League and in our cup matches, I don't know how realistic it is to blood our youngsters in our first team matches as we need to be winning all of the time and cannot take a risk, like perhaps United, Arsenal and Chelsea can do.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Very very disappointed about this. One of the only half decent striking prospects to come out of our academy in years & he's not even had a sniff of the 1st team. Don't know whether he'll make it or not as I've never seen him play above his level but he has pace & scores goals so certainly should have been tried. I expected us to at least give him a crack pre season before making any decisions on his future.

Bit surprised at you coming out with the old 'disappointed' line Ted. How many dozens of times have we been down this road, just with strikers (Ched Evans, Stephen Eliot etc)? We have to trust the management's judgement and we are now looking to challenge for the league, not 'try people out'. Most likely we would've kept him for a bit but the offer came in.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:45 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Very very disappointed about this. One of the only half decent striking prospects to come out of our academy in years & he's not even had a sniff of the 1st team. Don't know whether he'll make it or not as I've never seen him play above his level but he has pace & scores goals so certainly should have been tried. I expected us to at least give him a crack pre season before making any decisions on his future.

I'm with Ted on this. Suprised and somewhat shocked. Granted, I haven't seen him myself but reserves and Academy blogger seemed to rate him and everyone I know who attends reserve and youth team games seemed to rate him.

Not saying we let next Pele go but I believe he had shown enough promise to be considered as legit prospect.

I find it weird that we let him go without a fight, yet seem to be keen to give chances to likes of Clayton. Sure, we shouldn't force anyone to stay if they don't want to but.... Dare I say that he wouldn't have left if Cassell was still Academy director. Ok, that's just guessing now.

Oh, and only way this would really make sense is if we put buy back clause to the contract.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:00 am

Good luck MAK. Always liked his name.

I'm not too bothered. Never saw him play either but from what I read I never thought he'd become a top class striker. Mancin gave the chance to a younger Alex Nimely, is that saying something too? Maybe not but I'm sure that Mancini, Marwood and co have seen enough of him to make a proper assessment.

I also thought David Ball was ahead of him and anyway it would've been extremely difficult for Mak to break through. Like someone said he would've probably only ended up going on loan to different lower teams. And when a Bundesliga team came knocking I'm not surprised he bought their lies and felt that is the best option.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:03 am

I am a little surprised as I thought he had something but those who work closer with him must have thought different.
Ball is probably a better finisher but probably not as quick or as strong. Nimely has a really good touch but when I have seen him just seems to want to hang on to the ball too much and has never seemed a great finisher.

Time will tell as if Mak does have what it takes we will hear more of him for sure.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Tony P » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 am

Useless fact, his surname means 'poopy seed' in Slovak.
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:01 am

Sad to see him go, mainly cos his Dad worked on our trains. Proper nice intelligent guy who brought his family over here and was prepared to take a pretty shitty job so his son could have a crack at pro football. he told me in January that Robbie was within an ace of going to Nurnburg on loan but it fell through at the 11th hour.
Pity, he was also getting good reviews in the stiffs.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:34 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

I'm with Ted on this. Suprised and somewhat shocked. Granted, I haven't seen him myself but reserves and Academy blogger seemed to rate him and everyone I know who attends reserve and youth team games seemed to rate him.

Not saying we let next Pele go but I believe he had shown enough promise to be considered as legit prospect.

I find it weird that we let him go without a fight, yet seem to be keen to give chances to likes of Clayton. Sure, we shouldn't force anyone to stay if they don't want to but.... Dare I say that he wouldn't have left if Cassell was still Academy director. Ok, that's just guessing now.

Oh, and only way this would really make sense is if we put buy back clause to the contract.

I'd like to think we're going to start doing stuff like that because if we're upgrading the standard of the academy & signing players from all over the shop, it stands to reason that we're going to have to let the occasional 'gem' leave to further their careers in the future. If we can buy them back then it's not such a loss.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Return to The Maine Football forum