FIFA scrap 6+5 rule.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

FIFA scrap 6+5 rule.

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:07 pm

Fifa has said it will scrap plans for a minimum of six "home-grown" players in clubs' starting line-ups.

The so-called "6+5" rule had been expected to be brought in by 2012 but has now been abandoned.

Football's world governing body, at its congress in South Africa ahead of the World Cup kick-off, said it will now look at "other eligibility" options.

BBC Sport understands the European Commission said such a proposal would contravene EU labour laws.

From next season, the Premier League will bring in a system where there must be eight home-grown players in squad of 25.

Also at the congress in Johannesburg, Fifa president Sepp Blatter said he would seek another term of office next year.

"I have not yet completed my mission as president of Fifa, I am motivated to go for another term," said the 74-year-old Swiss who has held the post since 1998.

He was then interrupted by applause from delegates before adding: "Thank you for your confidence. I would like to say we will go for it together. I am ready, you are ready."

Delegates also decided to keep an age limit of 23 with three over-age players permitted per team for the London 2012 Olympic football tournament.

There had been pressure from clubs to make it an under-21 competition.

But the International Olympic Committee warned that any change could affect the number of teams allowed in the event.

Barcelona and German sides Werder Bremen and Schalke all won a ruling in 2008 against being forced to released their players for the Beijing Games.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled as the Olympics was not on Fifa's international calendar, the clubs were not obliged to release the players.

Was always going to happen imho. I guess the Premier League will be next to scrap this.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Re: FIFA scrap 6+5 rule.

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Does this mean that £30m for Milner is officially fucking ridiculous
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:11 pm

johnpb78 wrote:Does this mean that £30m for Milner is officially fucking ridiculous

yes. his value is now 15M.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Well the article does not really state whether the Premier League will scrap it too... but sure they have to considering it is against EU Labour Law?
avoidconfusion

Postby Vhero » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Hmmmm I wonder why they scrapped this rule?? I reckon a couple of big teams had something to do with this it ridiculous really how much power the big teams really have over the official boards.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Vhero wrote:Hmmmm I wonder why they scrapped this rule?? I reckon a couple of big teams had something to do with this it ridiculous really how much power the big teams really have over the official boards.

Or maybe they were scared of being sued for breaching EU Labour Laws.
avoidconfusion

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 pm

johnpb78 wrote:Does this mean that £30m for Milner is officially fucking ridiculous

If the Prem get rid of this rule, then yeah Milner's price will have to come down.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:

If the Prem get rid of this rule, then yeah Milner's price will have to come down.

mate his price won't really come down i hate to say. i joking said it's cut in half, but we're already pregnant with this one...we've blown our wad...you can't unravel it and find a way to offer them 18M or 20M and think you'll get it done. You could try and get into some dirty scrap and beat them down 5M or something, but honestly, yr more at risk to ruin your chances and stain your image publicly than it's worth. The ram has touched the wall.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:44 am

Vhero wrote:Hmmmm I wonder why they scrapped this rule?? I reckon a couple of big teams had something to do with this it ridiculous really how much power the big teams really have over the official boards.

Absolutely nothing to do with any big clubs and everything to do with EU laws of labour. Which I said from the very beginning. If I knew there was no chance of this happening then how the hell FIFA and more improtantly UEFA didn't know about it?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Vhero » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:48 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Absolutely nothing to do with any big clubs and everything to do with EU laws of labour. Which I said from the very beginning. If I knew there was no chance of this happening then how the hell FIFA and more improtantly UEFA didn't know about it?

Thats what I mean surely they had a way around it at first and then decided they could use that law as a get out of jail free nobody asks any questions card.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:41 am

Vhero wrote:

Thats what I mean surely they had a way around it at first and then decided they could use that law as a get out of jail free nobody asks any questions card.

Can't see that they would've had way around. First player who misses out spot in playing squad and takes his case to EU court, in similar fashion to Mark Bosman, would've got it overruled.

These people in football governing bodies sometimes seem to think they are living outside ordinary world and it's laws. That is not the case.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Wooders » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:41 pm

so its just occured to fifa that they cannot change actual EU law... took them long enough
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Wooders wrote:so its just occured to fifa that they cannot change actual EU law... took them long enough

Wait till Blatter tries to prevent a club from entering the champions league and find out how toothless he really is.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby SORTED » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:54 pm

We should forget about Milner now - unless we can get him for £18 mill, which aint gonna happen is it? - there is much better value to be had by going abroad.

The Germans have a couple of young lads (Marin & Muller - both 21) that I'm looking forward to seeing in action during the world cup. I reckon both would be a better bet than Milner and would cost a third of the price that is being bandied about for Horse Jaw.
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Socrates » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:58 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:Well the article does not really state whether the Premier League will scrap it too... but sure they have to considering it is against EU Labour Law?

Not the same rule at all and indeed it is a version that FIFA could possibly adopt. The Premier League rule insists on 8 players that have been at a qualifying academy and as these players can be any EU nationality it may well be that this version doesn't contravene EU law.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Vhero wrote:

Can't see that they would've had way around. First player who misses out spot in playing squad and takes his case to EU court, in similar fashion to Mark Bosman, would've got it overruled.

These people in football governing bodies sometimes seem to think they are living outside ordinary world and it's laws. That is not the case.

I thought they said they'd spoken to the EU comission about it & had it all okayed? (which surprised me as I thought it'd be kicked out!)

Bunch of fucking knobs, the lot of 'em. I fully expect the same thing to happen if they start trying to prevent legitimate businessmen from investing in their own companies whilst allowing others to rack up billions of debt...
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:21 pm

SORTED wrote:We should forget about Milner now - unless we can get him for £18 mill, which aint gonna happen is it? - there is much better value to be had by going abroad.

The Germans have a couple of young lads (Marin & Muller - both 21) that I'm looking forward to seeing in action during the world cup. I reckon both would be a better bet than Milner and would cost a third of the price that is being bandied about for Horse Jaw.

Ride this beat. beat. beat. Like a Pony.

Hard. So Hard.

cheeers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Do any of you hero's know if the Premier Leagues new 25 squad rules are within the law, considering this has been scrapped?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:36 am

The premier league is governed by FIFA and if they are scrapping this law then the Prem will have to follow their directions.
If the prem could pick and choose what directives they wanted to follow from FIFA surely if FIFA introduce the financial fair play rules the prem can decide that they dont want any part of it,but they cannot,if they want to stay affiliated to FIFA.
So if FIFA say they are scrapping the 6-5 rule the prem will have to follow suit.
As for the 25 man squad limit I would think there are ways around it which the club is keeping to itself.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:45 am

SORTED wrote:We should forget about Milner now - unless we can get him for £18 mill, which aint gonna happen is it? - there is much better value to be had by going abroad.

It makes it pretty pointless to buy ANY english players if applied to the premier league.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum