Spain Squad - WC

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Spain Squad - WC

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Spain played Poland last night in their final warm up game. Poland did put some effort in but the Spanish players just raised their game each time to see them off at the pass.. tragic for Poland. The Rojos had their first 11 out.. but then made some changes.. which didn't seem to make one bit of difference.. in fact they got better. It was kind of scary to watch and realise what sort of quality in depth the Spanish team has. The whole team are so fluid in position it was difficult to pin down what formation they adopted.. but it appears to have been a kind of 4-2-3-1.

Ok Poland are not very good, but on this evidence it is going to take a Mourinho style defensive park the bus masterclass to beat this lot

Casillas;
Arbeloa (Ramos, m. 55), Puyol (Marchena, m. 73), Piqué, Capdevila;
Busquets, Alonso;
Silva (Navas, m. 55), Xavi (Fabregas, m. 55), Iniesta (Pedro, m. 39);
Villa (Torres, m. 66).

Subs not used: Reina, Valdés; Albiol, Javi Martínez, Mata y Llorente.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Spain Squad - WC

Postby gillie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:33 pm

It's a very fuckin scary squad that's for sure mate.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Fabregas and Torres aren't even first choice, says enough.
I'll eat my own cock if they don't win the world cup
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby dazby » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Fabregas and Torres aren't even first choice, says enough.
I'll eat my own cock if they don't win the world cup

Quoted for posterity.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby kinkylola » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:16 pm

yea defo a good squad ... we beat them what? 2-0 in the confed cup? gave us a good game mind.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Crossie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Theyll bottle it dont worry
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Crossie wrote:Theyll bottle it dont worry

that is one way they might get beat.. another is Mourinho style and the third being kicking them off the ball
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 pm

They are clear favorites and rightly so - best team they have ever had imo.

When could we meet them?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Vhero » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:21 pm

They gonna be clear faves with that team but clear faves don't always win it.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ashton287 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:50 pm

simlar to us four years ago though, looking at our squad on paper we should have destroyed every other team there but we didnt because football is a bitch. Reckon there'll fuck it up or pick up a few injuries on the way because there all soft cunts.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 pm

ashton287 wrote:simlar to us four years ago though, looking at our squad on paper we should have destroyed every other team there but we didnt because football is a bitch. Reckon there'll fuck it up or pick up a few injuries on the way because there all soft cunts.

We didnt have the squad - just like this time round the first team looks ok, but there is no strength in depth. 90% of that Spain squad would be first choice in any club side in the world - last time I saw a squad that good, was probably France 1998

They have the tools to go all the way, even with a few injuries - I think no other squad can compete with that.

We just have to hope that Euro 2008 was a blip, and Spain will go back to having the best players going into tournaments then proceed to blow it in the early rounds.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:57 pm

I'd say the best 22 on paper at the WC, but I think their luck will run out and they'll lack the physicality of such a big tournament.

I fancy the Italians more and more each day.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:07 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I'd say the best 22 on paper at the WC, but I think their luck will run out and they'll lack the physicality of such a big tournament.

Fuck know's why?

They have the weakest squad they have ever had......they wont do diddly squat in this tournament.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I'd say the best 22 on paper at the WC, but I think their luck will run out and they'll lack the physicality of such a big tournament.

Fuck know's why?

They have the weakest squad they have ever had......they wont do diddly squat in this tournament.

People were saying that about them last time round chief.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:58 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Fuck know's why?

People were saying that about them last time round chief.

True,but last time round they had a decent squad...these lot this time around are mediocre at best and that kind of team wont get anywhere in a WC tourn.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:25 pm

If teams go out to play them with too much respect Spain can walk to victories.
However I feel there is too much respect for them.

Yes their squad is fantastic but we all know what you can do with very organised team, with players being talented or not.

Spains defence has always been shaky too and from what I've read during the qualifiers from reports, nothing has changed. And tbh I haven't seen Arbeloa much this season so don't know how much he has developed since his days at Anfield but I'd be confident if there was a fast, tricky left-sided winger in my team. Same goes for the other side. Imo Capdevila was the weakest link of euros two years ago, being constantly slightly out of position.

Not saying they're not good players, not saying Spain aren't favourites but what the hell. Imo it is very much possible that even a mediocre side in the WC can beat the Spaniards and not because they bottle it or are overconfident.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:If teams go out to play them with too much respect Spain can walk to victories.
However I feel there is too much respect for them.

Yes their squad is fantastic but we all know what you can do with very organised team, with players being talented or not.

Spains defence has always been shaky too and from what I've read during the qualifiers from reports, nothing has changed. And tbh I haven't seen Arbeloa much this season so don't know how much he has developed since his days at Anfield but I'd be confident if there was a fast, tricky left-sided winger in my team. Same goes for the other side. Imo Capdevila was the weakest link of euros two years ago, being constantly slightly out of position.

Not saying they're not good players, not saying Spain aren't favourites but what the hell. Imo it is very much possible that even a mediocre side in the WC can beat the Spaniards and not because they bottle it or are overconfident.

i would say their weak spots are the two sides of the defense.. which is helped by the fact they all troop up the feild at every given opportunity. They are well organised and fluid though.. perhaps their discipline will show them up though at some point. I think though in their favour is they have a lot of experience at national and top level.. so more difficult games they may not be as gung ho. They are gonna take some beating if the stroll they had around Poland was anyhting to go by.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 pm

kinkylola wrote:yea defo a good squad ... we beat them what? 2-0 in the confed cup? gave us a good game mind.

My thoughts exactly, they had a similar line up last summer...
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:29 pm

noticeable that torres and villa didn't play together again. that's why i don't see barca signing torres

when i did my predictions, i ended up with a spain v england final. can't see us handling their movement, but capello could certainly do a job on them
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:noticeable that torres and villa didn't play together again. that's why i don't see barca signing torres

when i did my predictions, i ended up with a spain v england final. can't see us handling their movement, but capello could certainly do a job on them

There's only one reason Torres didn't feature as first choice (apart from the fact it's a meaningless warm-up) and that's because he's just coming back to full fitness from a serious operation and a period of not playing. Only a lunatic would risk him full-on at this stage.

Villa and Torres up front is first choice, no doubt at all!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum