Inter Milan Confirm Rafa Benitez As New Manager

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Inter Milan Confirm Rafa Benitez As New Manager

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Inter Milan have reached an agreement with Rafa Benitez to become their new manager, club president Massimo Moratti has revealed.

The Serie A giants have been looking for a replacement coach since Jose Mourinho opted to take on a fresh challenge at Spanish giants Real Madrid.

The Portuguese coach departed Giuseppe Meazza at the end of the 2009/10 campaign after guiding Inter to an unprecedented Treble, which saw them land the Serie A title, Coppa Italia and the UEFA Champions League.

Once it became apparent that Mourinho was looking to move on, rumours began circulating as to who his possible replacement might be.

Spanish coach Benitez was considered to be a leading candidate and his departure from Liverpool last week opened the door for a switch to Italy.

Inter quickly identified him as their number one choice for the role and have pressed ahead with formal negotiations.

Talks have now reached a conclusion and Moratti confirmed that Benitez has agreed to become Inter's new coach.

"We've got an agreement, we finalised the last details that in any case weren't important," he told the club's official website.

"Tomorrow (Wednesday) we will say when Rafa Benitez will be presented.

"All we need is a counter-signature. In any case I think Benitez is not in Italy and will arrive here for the presentation."

Benitez will arrive at Inter fresh from a six-year stint at Liverpool which saw him land the Champions League crown in 2005 and the 2006 FA Cup.

He also enjoyed considerable success in his homeland with Valencia prior to moving to Anfield, winning two Primera Liga titles and the Uefa Cup.

skysports.com
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Inter Milan Confirm Rafa Benitez As New Manager

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Idiots
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:37 pm

I agree with Johnpb78, this is pretty insane and they will come to regret this day.

Also seems like he managed to mug the Dippers for £6M whereas if he'd just resigned he would get nothing. If Inter had poached him they would pay compensation.

Nice to see the new chairman and chief exec there looking after the finances!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:15 am

i actually think rafa will do well at inter as long as he doesn't make wholesome changes to the squad as its pretty darn good already.
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:17 am

people rave about Wenger like he's a fuclin genius and Rafa's done more for Scousy twats that Wenger's done for Gooners lately.

I hope he does well at Inter. He's ok. Not the worst manager in a high profile job by a long shot. Some iffy transfers, but i'd have Kuyt, Babel, Masch, and Torres in an instant.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:22 am

DoomMerchant wrote:people rave about Wenger like he's a fuclin genius and Rafa's done more for Scousy twats that Wenger's done for Gooners lately.

I hope he does well at Inter. He's ok. Not the worst manager in a high profile job by a long shot. Some iffy transfers, but i'd have Kuyt, Babel, Masch, and Torres in an instant.

cheers

itlian football will suit benitez' style. However, Doomy, how can you say you would want Kuyt and Babel??? URGH, no thanks..... torres is a good shout and Mascherano is OK but he is no essien.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 am

Wonderwall wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:people rave about Wenger like he's a fuclin genius and Rafa's done more for Scousy twats that Wenger's done for Gooners lately.

cheers

itlian football will suit benitez' style. However, Doomy, how can you say you would want Kuyt and Babel??? URGH, no thanks..... torres is a good shout and Mascherano is OK but he is no essien.

Essien is my fave player in the world. Love him. But i was just commenting on Rafa's purchases in the transfer market specifically wrt to my commentary...I like Kuyt and Babel. if we had a bench with them on it we'd be in pretty ok shape i think. Love Kuyt's graft and i think Babel's got some skills. Masch is great tho. Come on. Remember how Liverpool basically LOST the CL a few years ago because Rafa took Masch out of the match when he had manmarked Kaka out of the match, only to let them nearly instantly score from a nice through ball from Kaka? Retarded point to make in a thread where i've defended Rafa, but you get my point.

By the way, buy a vowel when spelling Italian next time.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby ant london » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:02 am

Terrible manager and a whiney cocksucker

The Premiership will be a better place minus the Spanish waiter
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Vhero » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:18 am

Guy lived on his early career at the scouse and am surprised a big club had the faith to take him in.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby bigsam » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:31 am

Inter need a coach who have personality like Mourinho, not the case of Benitez
bigsam
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Barcelona
My favourite player is: David Villa

Postby Vhero » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 am

bigsam wrote:Inter need a coach who have personality like Mourinho, not the case of Benitez

Well its good for us as they will probably crash under him and that can't be bad can it? Less competition in Europe next year :)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 am

Inter have employed him because of his record in Europe. 2 CL finals and a SF whilst at dippers. Consistent top 4 finishes with a net spend over 5 years of £140m (or 1 Lescott per year) and recorded their best PL finish (2nd) with a record total points for a runners up place. Rafa's record at dippers against a background of crappy owners and declining investment is damn good and provided that Inter keep up the level of investment and as with Jose don't let Rafa have total say on transfers he will get them into a CL final again.

On a personal level Rafa mugged them for £6m and landed one of the best club jobs in Europe.

And you think he is shit? Who the f**k do you guys regard as a good manager then?
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Dronny » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:14 am

BobKowalski wrote:Inter have employed him because of his record in Europe. 2 CL finals and a SF whilst at dippers. Consistent top 4 finishes with a net spend over 5 years of £140m (or 1 Lescott per year) and recorded their best PL finish (2nd) with a record total points for a runners up place. Rafa's record at dippers against a background of crappy owners and declining investment is damn good and provided that Inter keep up the level of investment and as with Jose don't let Rafa have total say on transfers he will get them into a CL final again.

On a personal level Rafa mugged them for £6m and landed one of the best club jobs in Europe.

And you think he is shit? Who the f**k do you guys regard as a good manager then?

Well they can't be benchmarking him against City Manager's that's for sure!!
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:54 am

BobKowalski wrote:Inter have employed him because of his record in Europe. 2 CL finals and a SF whilst at dippers. Consistent top 4 finishes with a net spend over 5 years of £140m (or 1 Lescott per year) and recorded their best PL finish (2nd) with a record total points for a runners up place. Rafa's record at dippers against a background of crappy owners and declining investment is damn good and provided that Inter keep up the level of investment and as with Jose don't let Rafa have total say on transfers he will get them into a CL final again.

He paid nearly £10m for Albert Riera. Case closed.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

5th choice,if we got rid of Bob we'd be in the same boat.

So...........he stays and returns with his new teddy boy image for the next three years.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby razor400 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 am

johnpb78 wrote:

Don't forget Dossena Agualani Keane and selling Bellers Crouch and Xavi Alonso (after treating him like shit)
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 am

johnpb78 wrote:

So? Wenger bought Jeffers for £7m. Taggart bought Veron and Berbatov for £30m a pop. Mourinho is cack at buying players full stop. Fact remains on a net spend of just over £25m per year Rafa got to two CL finals and took dippers to their highest PL finish with some great results and performances along the way. All this against a backdrop of the two owners slugging it out in the background and bleeding the club dry. Sure last season was crap by the previous standards Benitez had set but the media driven consensus that Benitez is a crap manager who has left them in the shite is the usual media bollocks.

The spine of the side with Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano and Reina is first rate and 3 out of those 4 were bought by Rafa. Kuyt is an excellent worker for the side and has a habit of knocking in vital goals at the right time. Alonso was the big miss but people conveniently forget that previously he had gone off the boil and no one would have cared if Rafa had replaced him with Barry when he originally planned. Alonso then hit top form and suddenly everyone was saying how instrumental he was to the side.

It is the usual death by punditry with snap smart arse comments replacing objective analysis. I also fail to see how the Premiership can benefit with Europe's best managers plying their trade elsewhere. The media are wankers because give it a year or so and they will be bemoaning the loss of Benitez and saying what a great record he had at dippers. They cry over the loss of Mourinho yet in his last year here they were riding his back too. MoN keeps Villa treading water and losing when it matters and he has had a 'great season'. Wenger gets 3rd place without a proper striker for most of the season yet 'arry gets 'PL manager of the year' for finishing behind Arsenal with 4 f**king strikers.

Go figure.
BobKowalski

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:14 am

BobKowalski wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

So? Wenger bought Jeffers for £7m. Taggart bought Veron and Berbatov for £30m a pop. Mourinho is cack at buying players full stop. Fact remains on a net spend of just over £25m per year Rafa got to two CL finals and took dippers to their highest PL finish with some great results and performances along the way. All this against a backdrop of the two owners slugging it out in the background and bleeding the club dry. Sure last season was crap by the previous standards Benitez had set but the media driven consensus that Benitez is a crap manager who has left them in the shite is the usual media bollocks.

The spine of the side with Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano and Reina is first rate and 3 out of those 4 were bought by Rafa. Kuyt is an excellent worker for the side and has a habit of knocking in vital goals at the right time. Alonso was the big miss but people conveniently forget that previously he had gone off the boil and no one would have cared if Rafa had replaced him with Barry when he originally planned. Alonso then hit top form and suddenly everyone was saying how instrumental he was to the side.

It is the usual death by punditry with snap smart arse comments replacing objective analysis. I also fail to see how the Premiership can benefit with Europe's best managers plying their trade elsewhere. The media are wankers because give it a year or so and they will be bemoaning the loss of Benitez and saying what a great record he had at dippers. They cry over the loss of Mourinho yet in his last year here they were riding his back too. MoN keeps Villa treading water and losing when it matters and he has had a 'great season'. Wenger gets 3rd place without a proper striker for most of the season yet 'arry gets 'PL manager of the year' for finishing behind Arsenal with 4 f**king strikers.

Go figure.

All three new players there were world class when they were bought. Hardly finds. And those are his only good signings. Rest were fucking pap and at horrible prices. Especially considering how easy it is to get people to Liverpool.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Go figure.

All three new players there were world class when they were bought. Hardly finds. And those are his only good signings. Rest were fucking pap and at horrible prices. Especially considering how easy it is to get people to Liverpool.

Mascherano couldn't get in the West Ham team and I don't recall anyone else vying for his services. And if its a case of 'if you exclude all of Rafa's good signings then all his other signings have been pap' then well duh yes because on that criteria every manager buys pap. I also think Glen Johnson is a good buy, Benayoun, Kuyt, Aggar, Crouch, are or were good buys as well. Rafa likes to trade in players. Some work. Some don't. Benitez like all top managers makes mistakes but to discount his overall record at the dippers and elsewhere is ludicrous.

And back to the media are wankers theme. Turned on SSN over lunch and they decide to compare the records of Jose and Rafa. But based on last year only. So perspective much. No mention of the disparity in investment and overlooks the fact that Rafa beat Jose twice in the CL in his time at dippers and getting to the final on two occasions.

The best managers don't get it right all the time. They just get it right more often than most. And Rafa gets it right more often than most.
BobKowalski

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Go figure.

Mascherano couldn't get in the West Ham team and I don't recall anyone else vying for his services. And if its a case of 'if you exclude all of Rafa's good signings then all his other signings have been pap' then well duh yes because on that criteria every manager buys pap. I also think Glen Johnson is a good buy, Benayoun, Kuyt, Aggar, Crouch, are or were good buys as well. Rafa likes to trade in players. Some work. Some don't. Benitez like all top managers makes mistakes but to discount his overall record at the dippers and elsewhere is ludicrous.

And back to the media are wankers theme. Turned on SSN over lunch and they decide to compare the records of Jose and Rafa. But based on last year only. So perspective much. No mention of the disparity in investment and overlooks the fact that Rafa beat Jose twice in the CL in his time at dippers and getting to the final on two occasions.

The best managers don't get it right all the time. They just get it right more often than most. And Rafa gets it right more often than most.

But its not just one player is it.

Not only were those 4 established players - and yes Mascherano was established in the Argetina side, but the "net transfer spend" you quote includes a large number of players bought from Spain etc, then sold 18 months. The problem was that most of the sub standard players were £7m plus and should have done MUCH betteror never signed in the first place.

Thats not "trading in players" that is buying a lot of sub standard players
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum