Confession: I Don't Really Like World Cup

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Confession: I Don't Really Like World Cup

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 am

You know what, I have to make a confession. I don't really like World Cup that much. Sure I'll be watching 90% of the games but I'm hardly waiting it like new football season.

I can't stand the fact that it draws all the cunts who know fuck all about football following the game all of the sudden. I LOVE chinwag with proper football people but I can't fucking stand talking to people who take interest in the game once in every four years. Most people know that I'm a football man and come to talk about making stupid fucking questions like "who you'll be supporting". Well I don't support any fucking body. Finland's not in the competition. I can't stand cunts who walk around in Brazil shirts. In fact, I refuse to speak to anyone wearing a fucking Brazil or Spain shirt. Cunts.

I read some cunt saying that World Cup is "celebration of football". Well it fucking well isn't. It's a marketing operation first and foremost. When I freeze my bollocks off in lower league game in late october with handfull of people, I'm celebrating football. When I yet again spend money I don't have on getting to watch City I'm celebrating football. Any person anywhere in the world spending last of their hard earned on season ticket are celebrating the football. People who miss their missus' birthdays to get to a shit 0-0 draw are celebrating the football. Bunch of cunts sitting in front of telly for second half of World Cup final (say Spain - France) wearing Brazil shirt are NOT celebrating football. They are just cunts. People wearing "funny" glasses and hats and blowing horns for 90 minutes whilst mostly watching people around them rather than what's happening on the pitch are NOT celebrating football. They are just cunts.

That's my opinnion anyway.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Confession: I Don't Really Like World Cup

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 am

I HATE international football! I don't follow the World Cup and won't be doing this year. I won't be swapping shifts at work just to watch England get knocked out.....again! Just because Rooney pulls on a white shirt instead of a red one he's not a prick anymore and I should shout his name?? Fuck that! He's still a fat scouse bastard! And watching these non-stop England adverts on TV make me sick! Fuck seeing Bobby Charlton's face on MY fuckin TV! Fuck off you old bastard!
RANT OVER!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:07 am

Granted it's not City but it will do.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Granted it's not City but it will do.

Aye, a lot better than no football at all.

One funny thing though. Many people, when they live outside their homeland, become somewhat more patriotic. I even bought a St George's Cross postcard today for my wall at work. Wanton extravagance, I know.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:13 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Granted it's not City but it will do.

Aye, a lot better than no football at all.

One funny thing though. Many people, when they live outside their homeland, become somewhat more patriotic. I even bought a St George's Cross postcard today for my wall at work. Wanton extravagance, I know.

The way i see it is,the world cup serves a purpose and it also takes away all this stupid transfer talk which is doing my swede in.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby dikdik » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:17 am

Disco Stu I'm with you.
Good God think what you're saying guys. With no world cup football how many chores would you have to do around the house. How many shopping trips does it get you out of?
I mean... a whole month without having to talk to the wife....
:)
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 am

I love the world cup. Love the fact there is a load of football on everyday and alot of time you never know what to expect. Like Greece winning the Euros (I know its not the wc) was just fantastic. Granted it brings alot of idiots out the woodwork who never normally pay attention to football and know nothing about it but if you cant put up with them then how do you put up with the idiots who go the games and still have no idea about football, these lot are worse imo.

Lighten up NQDP, go buy yourself a silly pair of glasses, a massive hat and a spain shirt and enjoy the show.

Havent had the standard england v city debate on here yet. Usually gets thrown up around now. I dont understand people who dont get behind their country, I for one get behind them just as I do City (I have probably just started the debate off now).

Come on England!
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:You know what, I have to make a confession. I don't really like World Cup that much. Sure I'll be watching 90% of the games but I'm hardly waiting it like new football season.

I can't stand the fact that it draws all the cunts who know fuck all about football following the game all of the sudden. I LOVE chinwag with proper football people but I can't fucking stand talking to people who take interest in the game once in every four years. Most people know that I'm a football man and come to talk about making stupid fucking questions like "who you'll be supporting". Well I don't support any fucking body. Finland's not in the competition. I can't stand cunts who walk around in Brazil shirts. In fact, I refuse to speak to anyone wearing a fucking Brazil or Spain shirt. Cunts.

I read some cunt saying that World Cup is "celebration of football". Well it fucking well isn't. It's a marketing operation first and foremost. When I freeze my bollocks off in lower league game in late october with handfull of people, I'm celebrating football. When I yet again spend money I don't have on getting to watch City I'm celebrating football. Any person anywhere in the world spending last of their hard earned on season ticket are celebrating the football. People who miss their missus' birthdays to get to a shit 0-0 draw are celebrating the football. Bunch of cunts sitting in front of telly for second half of World Cup final (say Spain - France) wearing Brazil shirt are NOT celebrating football. They are just cunts. People wearing "funny" glasses and hats and blowing horns for 90 minutes whilst mostly watching people around them rather than what's happening on the pitch are NOT celebrating football. They are just cunts.

I dare say you'd be more interested if Finland were there. I get where you're coming from, but there are so many things I like about the WC. It's a great showcase for the different footballing styles (e.g. Italy's patience, Brazil's fluidity and incisiveness, England's tempo and physicality). It's also the pinnacle of the career of any serious pro. It gives some players a once-in-a-lifetime chance to shine on a world stage, and a country like Senegal the chance to revel in dumping out an old colonial powerhouse like France. I like it. It doesn't really bear comparison with watching City as it's a completely different experience, and it's a million miles away from watching Rochdale in teh Johnstone's Paint Trophy on a wet Tuesday in November.

P.S. I own the Spain 2002 World Cup shirt!
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:31 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
I can't stand the fact that it draws all the cunts who know fuck all about football following the game all of the sudden.

When I freeze my bollocks off in lower league game in late october with handfull of people, I'm celebrating football. When I yet again spend money I don't have on getting to watch City I'm celebrating football.

These two points I agree with 100% - I had a row(ish) with the mrs' aunt and uncle about club versus country, they were saying I shouuld follow coutry over club... this thing is, they would say that as they are not 'proper' football fans! they just follow bits from time to time.

If I choose to spend x amount of my time and hard earned money on supporting my club, then it's my fucking choice who I support.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:53 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:You know what, I have to make a confession. I don't really like World Cup that much. Sure I'll be watching 90% of the games but I'm hardly waiting it like new football season.

I dare say you'd be more interested if Finland were there. I get where you're coming from, but there are so many things I like about the WC. It's a great showcase for the different footballing styles (e.g. Italy's patience, Brazil's fluidity and incisiveness, England's tempo and physicality). It's also the pinnacle of the career of any serious pro. It gives some players a once-in-a-lifetime chance to shine on a world stage, and a country like Senegal the chance to revel in dumping out an old colonial powerhouse like France. I like it. It doesn't really bear comparison with watching City as it's a completely different experience, and it's a million miles away from watching Rochdale in teh Johnstone's Paint Trophy on a wet Tuesday in November.

P.S. I own the Spain 2002 World Cup shirt!

Well, you are right of course but the general point stands. And like I said, I love football as a game and will be watching the vast majority of the games. It's just all the shit surrounding the competition that does my head in.

And IF Finland would ever make it to major competition, I think the feeling would be somewhat bitter sweet. All of the sudden there'd be 5 odd million people "supporting" our national side. I remember vividly watching Finland against Albania in march in about -25 degrees with roughly thousand other people in early-80's and driving 150 kilometers back home, last 100km with no heating. I've been through thin and thinner following them whereas these cunts would enjoy the "fruits".
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:01 am

I love the world cup, its fucking class. Some of the best matches and individual performances I've ever seen were in the world cup.

It does my head in that we're not there, but I'll be rooting for Argentina again. I know Maradonna's a lunatic, but they've always been my second international team and its nice to have someone to support.

Saying you hate it but you're going to watch 90% of it is a bit mad, no? There's little chance you'd get me to watch the "vast majority" of neighbours if there was a marathon of it on. I fucking hate that show.
Original Dub

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 am

Going slightly off topic but wasnt Bellamys comments after a Wales game about Finland. He said something like "I dont no how they have scored" haha. Least he was honest about his opinion ha
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:03 am

I can understand that view, but I think the thing that annoys me is the quality of players on show is never reflected in the play. I understand they don't play together as much, but some of the fundamental mistakes that still creep in are almost beyond forgiveness.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:06 am

Original Dub wrote:I love the world cup, its fucking class. Some of the best matches and individual performances I've ever seen were in the world cup.

It does my head in that we're not there, but I'll be rooting for Argentina again. I know Maradonna's a lunatic, but they've always been my second international team and its nice to have someone to support.

Saying you hate it but you're going to watch 90% of it is a bit mad, no? There's little chance you'd get me to watch the "vast majority" of neighbours if there was a marathon of it on. I fucking hate that show.

"Hate" being very relative term here. I "hate" it compared to most club football but "love" it compared to almost anything else on telly.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 am

Original Dub wrote:I love the world cup, its fucking class. Some of the best matches and individual performances I've ever seen were in the world cup.

"Hate" being very relative term here. I "hate" it compared to most club football but "love" it compared to almost anything else on telly.

Ah right so....

Well, the last time the world cup was on I tore my cruciate the day before it started and couldn't work. So I was parked in my bedroom and watched every single match I could.

And it was glorious!
Original Dub

Postby Dronny » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:15 am

Chill Andy, just think of the increased awareness created by this WC for City as a club. Think of our player's who will be playing and hearing City being mentioned as their club team and then think of the player's who we will be associated with, all this bodes well for City.....any spotlight put upon the club is good and I'm sure the owner's will be chuffed.

So what if it creates a load of "johhny come lately's", this is something we will have to get used to, not something we have to like but that's the price of popularism.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 am

I agree with the majority of NQDP / Mase's points, particularly the bits about all the bullshit surrounding the tournament, which is effectively not a football celebration, but a marketing celebration designed to fill up FIFA's coffers for Blatter & Co's pampering over the next 4 years.

Also, yes, Rooney is still a fucking fat ginger ranny shagging munich cunt, and I am only gutted that Ferdinand's injury is not life threatening, i dont give a fuck that it is about country rather than club, I can't stop hating the wankers just because they pull on a different shirt. Nevertheless it would be nice to see England to do well, and if the granny shagger scores the winning goal in the final, great, but he will still be as described above to me - he is just part of a team who quite frankly, I am ambivalent about.

I will be watching it all, because its different, its once every 4 years and I get to see lots of players who I dont get a chance to see every week in the premier league. I could get most of my fix for foreign players in the Champions league maybe, but I truly truly fucking hate that competition, so the rarity of a world cup is what makes it special for me.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby dazby » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:57 am

It's one of the few times when football overtakes Rugby League, Aussie Rules and Rugby Union in Oz with regards coverage. I'm a fan.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:01 am

dazby wrote:It's one of the few times when football overtakes Rugby League, Aussie Rules and Rugby Union in Oz with regards coverage. I'm a fan.

Point being that who cares about people who normally prefer Rugby??

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 am

dazby wrote:It's one of the few times when football overtakes Rugby League, Aussie Rules and Rugby Union in Oz with regards coverage. I'm a fan.

Point being that who cares about people who normally prefer Rugby??

I don't care about that.

Here's the thing mate. Murdoch owns the majority of the press in Oz. They also have ownership of the rugby league which means that the back page of the paper is invariably about the number of shits Darren Lockyer took yesterday. As they own the league it's in their vested interest to maintain enthusiasm for the sport. Football is a minority sport when it comes to coverage. It takes a world cup for football to nudge ahead and get some decent coverage.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum