Glazers £1.1billion in debt.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Glazers £1.1billion in debt.

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:32 am

The Glazer family's ability to keep control of Manchester United is in doubt again after it emerged the American owners are struggling with debts of £1.1billion.

The revelations, to be made by BBC's Panorama programme on Tuesday night, expose £400million of previously unknown debt and cast more uncertainty over how much money manager Sir Alex Ferguson will be given to strengthen his squad this summer.

The programme Man Utd - Into the Red centres on the Glazers' ailing shopping-mall empire, run by their company First Allied Corporation, and is based on the findings of City analyst Andy Green, a United supporter who has joined the anti-Glazer green and gold campaign.

Green said: 'The Glazers have called the US property market appallingly badly. They borrowed more money at inflated valuations right at the top of the cycle.

'These are people who tell us not to worry about Manchester United debt because they are great businessmen. In their core business in the US they got it absolutely wrong.'

Green found the Glazers owe almost £400m on mortgages on 63 of their 64 shopping malls. Many were taken out with Lehman Brothers before the company went bust, triggering the global recession in 2008.

Green's findings also show that many of the malls fail to generate enough income to cover the mortgage, and he claims the Glazers have been so badly caught out by the collapse in US commercial property values that some of their properties are in negative equity.

The banks are so worried about the loans that 28 of First Allied's shopping centres have been put on a 'watch list', and Green discovered that four have gone bust in the last two years.

On one property alone owned by First Allied -Crosswoods Commons in Columbus, Ohio - the Glazers have negative equity of more than £1.4m after the receiver who took control of the site in February admitted he was struggling to find a buyer in the recession and expects to sell for less than £1m.

Green said: 'Around a quarter of them cannot pay the interest on their mortgages already. Another quarter are coming off interest-free deals and, when those interest-free deals end, those shopping centres won't be able to pay their mortgages either.

'So the whole thing adds up to a real cash-flow problem for the Glazer family.'

As well as showing their present financial difficulties in America, the investigation also raises a question mark about the Glazers' takeover of United in 2005.

The family borrowed £500m to buy the club and paid the remaining £272m in cash, but Green has discovered that they remortgaged 25 of their shopping centres in the six months before the takeover.

He said: 'One has to ask: was the cash they put into Manchester United just debt, but from somewhere else?'

The Glazers' leveraged buy-out of United has since plunged the club £700m into the red. Combined with the £70m the family owe against their NFL team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, news of First Allied's £400m debt pushes the total past the £1bn mark.

The key issue hanging over the Glazers, say Panorama, is how they continue to service their debts. With some of United's payment in kind (PIK) loans soon to be charged at a toxic 16.25 per cent, it questions whether the Glazers can stay in control even though they maintain the club are not for sale in the face of public interest from the Red Knights consortium.

The Glazers declined to comment about First Allied. A spokesman has said the family do have debts of at least £1bn but added they have assets worth more than double that.

However, Panorama also point out that Tampa Bay are in the bottom three of the NFL's wage table, while United have yet to make a major signing since Cristiano Ronaldo was sold to Real Madrid for £80m a year ago amid doubts over Ferguson's transfer budget.

United claim the manager has access to up to £100m for new players, and chief executive David Gill has insisted the PIK repayments have nothing to do with the club.

When asked about counter- claims by a Glazer source that the family may indeed use the club's money to pay off those loans in the future, a United spokesman said: 'The club stand by everything David Gill told BBC radio and that the PIKs have no recourse to the club's assets.'

Neither the Premier League, the FA or new sports minister Hugh Robertson were willing to be interviewed by Panorama.

But Wigan chairman Dave Whelan, who considered buying a majority stake in United for just £11m 20 years ago, said: 'I don't think anybody can be satisfied with how Manchester United are being run because we're talking of three-quarters of a billion pounds of debt.

'That can't be the right thing to do and cannot be the right thing for professional football in the UK.'

Panorama: 'Man Utd – Into the Red' will be shown on BBC1 on Tuesday at 10.35pm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1284528/Revealed-The-Glazer-familys-staggering-1-1billion-debt-stun-Manchester-United-fans.html
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Glazers £1.1billion in debt.

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:51 am

Love it - people keep thinking that the shit will not happen to the scum - but I think it is only a matter of time
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby SORTED » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:36 am

mcfc1632 wrote:Love it - people keep thinking that the shit will not happen to the scum - but I think it is only a matter of time

I'm hoping so 1632, I'm bloody hoping so mate. It will teach all their smug twats of fans a lesson.
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby dazby » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 am

The moot point is that the Glazers have to keep control of the club. They can't be forced to sell.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 am

They are milking the scum to keep afloat themselves it seems, I read that the Glazers have already taken £238M in payments out of the swamp, this is why they won't sell until they need to kill the cow.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 am

Really until the reports of them being docked points or going into administration appear this is kind of a pointless thing to brag about.

I hate them like the rest, but if they can be a billion in debt and still kick our arse why would they care?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:27 am

Read this to understand exactly what the fucl all y'all are talking about.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... how_page=0

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby CitizenYank » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:05 am

Rolling Stone? Really? That's like trying to find the Engine Specs on a
2007 Chevy Silverado in Mother Jones magazine.

I mean not to bash Rolling Stones chameleon like ability to transform any
corpo-garbage pop into accepted journalistic cheese wiz, but the US economy??

Jann Wenner's tampon FONT is still under the assumption that Bush is still in office
and conservatives are out pooring sugar in Obama's gas tank (literally and figuratively.)
I can't wait for the connect the dots puzzle on how the BP oil tragedy is related
to Malcolm Glazer's hair jell.

The last time Rolling Stone did any in depth journalism is when they put that cross dresser Lady Gaga
on the cover. His/her ugliness is on scale with Man _____'s IOU output.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby kinkylola » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:50 am

CitizenYank wrote:Rolling Stone? Really? That's like trying to find the Engine Specs on a
2007 Chevy Silverado in Mother Jones magazine.

I mean not to bash Rolling Stones chameleon like ability to transform any
corpo-garbage pop into accepted journalistic cheese wiz, but the US economy??

Jann Wenner's tampon FONT is still under the assumption that Bush is still in office
and conservatives are out pooring sugar in Obama's gas tank (literally and figuratively.)
I can't wait for the connect the dots puzzle on how the BP oil tragedy is related
to Malcolm Glazer's hair jell.

The last time Rolling Stone did any in depth journalism is when they put that cross dresser Lady Gaga
on the cover. His/her ugliness is on scale with Man _____'s IOU output.

jesus that was brutal. well done.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Chinners » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:09 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Really until the reports of them being docked points or going into administration appear this is kind of a pointless thing to brag about.

I hate them like the rest, but if they can be a billion in debt and still kick our arse why would they care?

Spot on ... theres no way a club of their 'status' will ever be 'allowed' to go under ..... ever
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby btajim » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 am

Chinners wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Really until the reports of them being docked points or going into administration appear this is kind of a pointless thing to brag about.

Spot on ... theres no way a club of their 'status' will ever be 'allowed' to go under ..... ever

They own their Ground so it's not going to be bulldozed in to an Asda before too long.

The Glazers need to sell it. You got that, Malcolm? SELL THE GROUND!!!
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Vhero » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:10 am

Fun to read about.. Even better to share on facebook :)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 am

The key point is surely that more and more of Scum's income will be needed to service the parent debts, meaning more sales and less purchases, more along the lines of dodgy young Mexican propect strikers and Fulham youth CBs.

Good time for a bid for Shrek I say. I'm not too proud. Ideal for that spot behind Tevez and Adebayor.

A fax direct to agent Malcolm should do it for £60M I reckon!
Last edited by john@staustell on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby irblinx » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 am

So Panorama have built a programme around the "findings" of one of the Green and YELLOW brigade? A biased report about a subject I couldn't care less about, great use of my license fee, thanks for that beeb
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Guy Debord » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 am

irblinx wrote:So Panorama have built a programme around the "findings" of one of the Green and YELLOW brigade? A biased report about a subject I couldn't care less about, great use of my license fee, thanks for that beeb

Exactly, they should have got NQDP to do a balanced review of the Hughes era while they were at it.

As for Lady Gaga, if that's what cross-dressers look like these days...

Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:27 am

Just seen a post over on BM. Allegedly The PIK debt can raise from £200m to £600m by the raise in interest if the original sum isnt paid.

This means the debt could get as high as £1.5BN. I don't know if anyone on here can confirm that?
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Patrick » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:29 am

cityank 1-0 Doomeh

Lady Gaga has a penis? - ooops
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby btajim » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:13 pm

john@staustell wrote:The key point is surely that more and more of Scum's income will be needed to service the parent debts, meaning more sales and less purchases, more along the lines of dodgy young Mexican propect strikers and Fulham youth CBs.

Good time for a bid for Shrek I say. I'm not too proud. Ideal for that spot behind Tevez and Adebayor.

If Rooney has a stunning World Cup then I can see one of the Spanish sides offering silly money for him. Instinct says he's too loyal to Taggart to leave - but everyone has their price.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:20 pm

btajim wrote:
john@staustell wrote:The key point is surely that more and more of Scum's income will be needed to service the parent debts, meaning more sales and less purchases, more along the lines of dodgy young Mexican propect strikers and Fulham youth CBs.

If Rooney has a stunning World Cup then I can see one of the Spanish sides offering silly money for him. Instinct says he's too loyal to Taggart to leave - but everyone has their price.

'Everton til I die' wasn't it?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby btajim » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:37 pm

john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:If Rooney has a stunning World Cup then I can see one of the Spanish sides offering silly money for him. Instinct says he's too loyal to Taggart to leave - but everyone has their price.

'Everton til I die' wasn't it?

Once a Blue etc. Evertonian Blue.

I meant more that he's developed so much since Taggart signed him at a Teenager and I think he's Man Ure for life - but a move to another Premiership Club is extremely unlikely.

Would have him here in a shot, though. He's the Player of his generation.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum