Ambition driving Boateng's switch

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ambition driving Boateng's switch

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Roberto Mancini’s vision and ambition, his own firsthand knowledge of City fans’ passion and a desire to improve are the three overriding factors in Jerome Boateng swapping the Bundesliga for the Premier League.

The versatile 21-year-old defender flew into Manchester from Berlin yesterday morning for a medical and will officially become a City player in three weeks time on July 1.

He is now in South Africa preparing for Germany’s World Cup bid where he hopes to further enhance a growing reputation as one of the best young defenders in Europe.

“I am really looking forward to the World Cup and then to joining City,” he said during an interview with mcfc.co.uk before having a look around the City of Manchester Stadium.

“I spoke at length with Roberto Mancini and he impressed me with his plans for the team in the coming seasons. It was a very good conversation.

“And I know about City from when Hamburg played here in the Uefa Cup. I played in the second leg which we lost but won on aggregate on the way to the semi-finals.

"I learned that night about the passion
and commitment of the City fans. They
made it very hard for us and got
behind the side in a great way"

Boateng is not expecting any difficulties settling into his new surroundings. Although he has not spoken English since his schooldays he has a good enough command of the language for it not to be a barrier to conversations or interviews and there are familiar faces at Carrington already.

He is a former Hamburg teammate of both Vincent Kompany and Nigel de Jong and spoke with the Belgian a couple of months ago about life in the Premier League.

“He told me of the strength of the English game, the passion of the fans and like the coach he spoke of the vision of the club to win trophies,” confirmed Boateng.

“I can’t wait to work with so many top players and show what I can do and become a better player. I believe my strengths are my pace and reading of the game. I can play at full back on either side but I prefer the central defensive position.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Ambition driving Boateng's switch

Postby blootoof » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:24 pm

I can see this lad bein one hell of a signin given time
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:35 pm

blootoof wrote:I can see this lad bein one hell of a signin given time

I can also see him being dissapointed if he thinks that kind of atmosphere is the same every home game.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby blootoof » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:44 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I can also see him being dissapointed if he thinks that kind of atmosphere is the same every home game.

That did cross my mind tbh .. Just hope he doesn't expect 30 million of us to turn up at Blackburn :)
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 pm

blootoof wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

That did cross my mind tbh .. Just hope he doesn't expect 30 million of us to turn up at Blackburn :)

It's alright, I'll be there.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
blootoof wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Are you saying you can replicate the Hamburg atmosphere on your jack jones?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby blootoof » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
blootoof wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

My other 3 quarters could the loud cunt.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:17 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
blootoof wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Oh yes mate, every game is like sitting on the tunnel next to the away fans in the Kippax, or being 6 feet away from them in the North Stand. Nothing changes, although the tunnel is smaller, I still walk out singing the ultimate words, 'CITY'!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to The Maine Football forum