Sunday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Sunday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:12 am

Bellamy's academy brings hope to Sierra Leone
Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy 's football academy in Sierra Leone, aimed at developing young talents, is progressing well and Sierra Leoneans believe it has brought hope to the game in the country.
Already 11 young players, mainly under 14 years old, have been chosen and will represent the first generation of players enrolled in the Craig Bellamy Football (CBF) academy when it is officially opened in September.
The players are currently undergoing training at the Right to Dream football academy in Old Akrade in eastern Ghana.
They were selected as a result of a nationwide league and scouting programme. The league is comprised of 44 clubs, including four women's teams and a total of 1,680 players.
Bellamy visited the young players in Ghana and is pleased with their progress.
"I visited the boys in Ghana and I'm really satisfied with the progress they're making," Bellamy said on his recent visit to Sierra Leone.
"They are willing to learn, they're excited about learning and they're fast learners.
"What matters for me most is their education and they're doing very well in that area. The concept of education is first for me and football second."
The CBF academy is currently under construction in Tombo village, outside Freetown. It is divided into two phases.
Phase one is almost finished as geometry for 20 students, class rooms, apartments for teachers, coach and technical director as well as the canteen have been completed.
It remains a grass pitch which will be ready by September for completion of the first phase.
Bellamy is concentrating his efforts on his academy in the close season
Director of Craig Bellamy Football Tom Vernon said phase two, comprising additional classrooms, apartments and artificial turf is expected to be completed within two years time.
He added: "A Uefa 'A' license coach, Johnathan McKinstry, from Northern Ireland is coming over to Sierra Leone to serve as technical director of our academy.
"In our long-term plan, he will have to train Sierra Leonean coaches who in return will train the boys in the academy."
Bellamy has expressed satisfaction over the construction of the academy.
"I'm pleased from what I'm seeing so far regarding the construction of the academy. This is most satisfying trip I've had in Sierra Leone," said Bellamy.
Originally, the Sierra Leone government agreed to provide 25 acres of land but reduced it to 15 without any explanation.
Sierra Leoneans, including the country's sports minister, and Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) officials have complemented the CBF academy and they believe it has brought hope to the game in the country.
The Sierra Leone sports minister Dr Minkailu Bah told BBC Sport that the CBF academy is in the right place to develop football in the country.
"We wholeheartedly welcome the CBF academy to Sierra Leone because we believe it is the best way to develop football," said Bah.
"Football and education should go side by side and the game should be developed from the grass roots level.
"We're convinced the CBF academy will make an impact on Sierra Leone in the near future and that's why my government provided Bellamy with massive land."
The CBF academy is part of the solution to problems in Sierra Leonean football
The President of the SLFA Nahim Khadi said: "The Bellamy football academy is good for football in Sierra Leone because I believe the game should be developed from grass roots level in the country."
"The CBF academy is part of the solution to problems in Sierra Leonean football," one fan, Alimamy Turay said.
"The country will soon begin to feel the positive impacts of Bellamy's efforts. Sierra Leone should be grateful to him."
Bellamy is expected to spend about $1m of his own money by the time he completes his academy and it's expected that sponsors will come on board to keep the academy running.
Already, the academy has attracted sponsors, such as the Security Support Group International (SSGI) in Sierra Leone, which has decided to contribute $300,000 within three years.
The package will include cash, engineering technical assistance and security.
Sierra Leone football has up to now lacked youth programmes, which is seen as one of the major factors that responsible for the recent decline of the game in the country.
But with the emergence of the CBF academy, which is the first in Sierra Leone, the future for the most cherished sport in the country looks bright.

FERNANDO TORRES SPARKS £70M SCRAP
FERNANDO Torres will follow Rafa Benitez out of the Anfield exit door – sparking a furious £70million scrap for the Liverpool striker between Chelsea and Manchester City.
The Spanish star’s agent Jose Antonio Peton has given a half-hearted pledge that Torres would like to stay and help restore the Merseyside club to former Champions League glories.
But now that the man who signed him has gone, Torres feels little allegiance to Liverpool after ­publicly criticising their lack of ambition in signing big-name players.
Torres, 26, said: “We need four or five top-class players to compete with our rivals. There has to be signings.
“The fans are worried about players going. It’s a problem when you start to fear that your players are going.”
Torres, like Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard, will make a decision on his future after the World Cup.
But it’s becoming increasingly clear that Torres would jump at the chance of joining either Chelsea or City.
Torres craves Champions League football which will obviously be guaranteed by Chelsea.
City can’t match that attraction but boss Roberto Mancini will sell the promise to Torres that, with his help, they can achieve a Champions League spot next season.
Meanwhile, Peton is trying to convince everyone on Merseyside that Torres will give it another go for one more season.
He said: “Everything is down to Liverpool’s attitude but for the time being Fernando is happy at the club.”
But they will be hollow words when Chelsea and City come knocking on the door with wads of cash next month.

More Milner bollox
Aston Villa’s most valuable asset James Milner is yet to resolve his future amid keen interest from Manchester City.
Despite having the World’s richest club breathing down their necks, the status quo is unlikely to change before the start of the World Cup with Villa holding out for an even more substantial fee.
The West Midlanders have already turned down a £20m bid and Martin O’Neill is frantically trying to hang onto his prize player by convincing him to stay as an integral part of the club’s future. The rhetoric emanating from Villa Park is understandable but most will feel that O’Neill is simply swimming against the tide.
£30m is generally considered to be the magic number needed for City to secure the deal and for Villa to capitulate in the face of market forces. With Milner following in the footsteps of former teammate Gareth Barry looking like a foregone conclusion, the pertinent question is – is he worth it?
Milner admirers would state that the sum reflects the fact that the 24-year-old has established himself as a permanent fixture in the England side and that he has time on his side to continue to develop.
On the other hand, £30m does look like an awful lot of money for a player who cost Villa just £12m to sign from Newcastle 18 months ago and who only began to capture the public imagination last season following O’Neill’s decision to move him to the central berth.
There will come a point when even City will question whether they are getting value for money and I suspect that if Villa continue to call their bluff, it might just come back to haunt them

WAG OF THE DAY
http://www.wsn.com/blog/2010/05/19/wag- ... esca-lodo/

TRANSFER BOLLOX
JIMMY Bullard will travel to Celtic this week to secure a 12-month loan deal with the Scottish giants.
The former Wigan and Fulham midfielder, 31, is being forced out at Hull, who are desperate to get his £45,000-a-week salary off their wage bill to ease the financial crisis at the KC Stadium.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to listen to offers for striker Dimitar Berbatov, with Juventus and AC Milan thought to be prepared to pay £18m for the Bulgarian. caughtoffside.com

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could move for CSKA Moscow's £16m-rated Serbia international midfielder Milos Krasic. caughtoffside.com

Fulham will allow goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to move to Arsenal in a £3m move and have already begun the search for a replacement. News of the World

England and Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole will snub Manchester City's overtures and instead move to the Blues' London rivals Arsenal after the World Cup. Sunday Mirror

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp wants to bring AC Milan's Dutch striker Klaas Jan Huntelaar to White Hart Lane this summer, and is also considering a move for Everton's South African midfielder Steven Pienaar.
Full story: Mail on Sunday

Redknapp also wants Bolton defender Gary Cahill and is ready to offer full-back Alan Hutton in a cash-plus-player deal. Mail on Sunday

Netherlands international winger Eljero Elia is another on Redknapp's radar, with Spurs set to bid £12m of the Hambug man. caughtoffside.com

And Spurs are considering making a bid for West Ham midfielder Scott Parker, with Jamie O'Hara moving the other way to be re-united with Avram Grant. Sunday Mirror

Yet another target for Spurs is Udinese's 19-year-old Ghana international centre-back Jonathan Mensah but they face competition for him from Aston Villa. Sunday Mirror

One player who could be heading for the exit at White Hart Lane is Jermaine Jenas, with Stoke ready to make a £7m offer. Sunday Mirror

Chelsea are considering a move for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. caughtoffside.com

West Ham are preparing a new bid for Everton striker ­Aiyegbeni Yakubu - they have made an offer of £4m but the Toffees want £6m. Sunday Mirror

Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta is set to reject offers from Manchester United and Arsenal to sign a new deal to stay at Goodison Park.Sunday Mirror

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano is keen to join Inter Milan, particularly if ex-Reds boss Rafael Benitez is confirmed as their new manager. Sunday Mirror

Steven Gerrard is another being linked with a move away from Anfield, but Liverpool expect their skipper to reject a move to Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid. Sunday Mirror

Sunderland are looking at signing Aston Villa's Luke Young to ease their shortage of right-backs.Sunday Mirror

Harry Redknapp is apparently setting his sights on impressive young Dutch international winger Eljero Elia as he looks to further strengthen his White Hart Lane squad ahead of next seasons Champions League campaign. The 21 year old Hamburg man is part of Holland’s World Cup squad and has been a big hit in the Bundesliga since his move from FC Twente last summer.

Chelsea are considering an audacious move for Newcastle United youngster Andy Carroll. The Stamford Bridge outfit are on the look out for new up and coming options as Carlo Ancelotti plans for the future whilst dealing with a somewhat aging squad.
Having captured the likes of Ross Turnbull and Daniel Sturridge last summer the club is continuing to look for promising ‘homegrown’ players and are rumoured to be impressed by the 21 year old’s performances with the Magpies last season and with Chelsea’s main attacking options, Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka, both being over 30 years of age the west London side is keen to bring in new signings.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is rumoured to be ready to cut his losses and sell Dimitar Berbatov this summer and it appears that a move to Italy is the most likely to suit all parties. After two decidedly average seasons at Old Trafford the former Tottenham man will reportedly be shown to the exit as the club tries to retrieve as much of their £30.75m investment as possible.
Reports coming from Italy suggest that Juventus and AC Milan are both keen on the 29 year old Bulgarian but may only offer around £18m for the forward who has netted 26 goals in 86 appearances. Issues may become clearer with the two Serie A clubs once managerial changes are bedded in with the Turin outfit having only recently appointed Luigi Delneri and AC still without a replacement for the outgoing Leonardo.

Arsene Wenger is rumoured to be interested in making a move for highly rated Serbian international Milos Krasic this summer. The Arsenal manager is looking to bring in some big name signings with top level experience and was apparently impressed with the CSKA Moscow midfielder’s showing in both Champions League and World Cup qualifying action.
25 year old powerful runner can play in a number of positions across the midfield but works best as an advanced ball winner who can also propel attacks and has a knack of scoring crucial goals. Very much the all purpose player he is set to leave Russia after six and a half successful seasons and a move to the Premier League has been mooted.

OTHER BOLLOX
Liverpool will make a formal approach to Fulham to speak to manager Roy Hodgson about the possibility of him succeeding Rafael Benitez in the Anfield hotseat. News of the World

England manager Fabio Capello has told crocked captain Rio Ferdinand he can stay with the squad at the World Cup finals in South Africa after the Manchester United defender was ruled out of the tournament on Friday with knee ligament damage. News of the World

New Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho will have only £45m to spend on transfers, unless the Spanish giants can raise extra funds through player sales.News of the World

Season Review pt 11 - Carling Cup
Roque Santa Cruz headed his first goal for Manchester City as Mark Hughes's side thrashed Scunthorpe to reach the Carling Cup quarter-finals.
Stephen Ireland gave City the lead with a curling shot before Jonathan Forte slotted in an equaliser for the Iron.
Santa Cruz converted Pablo Zabaleta's cross before Joleon Lescott headed home a Shaun Wright-Phillips corner.
Carlos Tevez prodded in from a Vladimir Weiss pass and Michael Johnson sealed a resounding win with a 25-yard drive.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 323120.stm
Last edited by Chinners on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Sunday's B*ll*x

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:55 am

Torres £70mill, sign him up.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby ashton287 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:35 am

torrres was valued at 40 like 3 weeks ago, fuck 70 million let chelsea have him and get anelka for 25-30 of them.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby colonel_muck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 am

great player torres but an absolute crock. i would pay £30m but no more. like someone said just get anelka back would be made up with that.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby btajim » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:29 am

Why would we want to hand 70 Million to Liverpool? It'd ease the debt and give the new Manager some money to spend. It's the same with Milner. O'Neill could sign 4 or 5 good players if we threw money at Villa. He's that shrewd in the transfer market.

I understand the concept of buying established Premiership talent when our ambitions are immediate - but paying over the odds for players isn't right. I can't believe the Board will be happy for us to be held to ransom over every Player we bring in.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Esky » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14 am

btajim wrote:Why would we want to hand 70 Million to Liverpool? It'd ease the debt and give the new Manager some money to spend. It's the same with Milner. O'Neill could sign 4 or 5 good players if we threw money at Villa. He's that shrewd in the transfer market.

I understand the concept of buying established Premiership talent when our ambitions are immediate - but paying over the odds for players isn't right. I can't believe the Board will be happy for us to be held to ransom over every Player we bring in.

I agree. Last summer we went for proven Premiership players and overhauled the squad to do it. This time round I'd settle for 2 or 3 considered signings from the continent.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Slim » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 am

btajim wrote:Why would we want to hand 70 Million to Liverpool? It'd ease the debt and give the new Manager some money to spend. It's the same with Milner. O'Neill could sign 4 or 5 good players if we threw money at Villa. He's that shrewd in the transfer market.

I fully expect SoF to call you a fucking idiot now, after all she wouldn't want to be hypocritical.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 am

My impression of ' a deal worth £70M', is that it includes all the player's wages and agents fees etc, when it was first mentioned last week. Actual transfer fee will be less.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 am

They need Torres' goals. Not many players of that quakity would want to join mess they are now.

Milner signing at that price would be stupidity that would come back to haunt us for sure. Milner is nothing like 30 million pound player, 10 tops, and O'Neil would considerably improve that team.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:51 am

Elmundo Deportivo reckons we are in an auction now with Chelsea for Touré and Ibrahimovic, especially now Mikel is injured at Chelsea.

Remembering that the Chelski chief exec said they wouldn't be getting into any bidding wars with City, I'll take both this and the Torres story with a pinch of salt. Everyone trying to up fees!

Edit - oh and there was a 'City and Chelski battle for Silva' story on the 4th (Sport.es). But we hear today that Sir Alex Baconface is spitting feathers because we are beating his pauper club to Silva!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:22 am

I think we should subract from the 70m the cost of physio benches Torres will wear out during his contract - I reckon we could probably end up buying him for £2.50
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:38 am

john@staustell wrote:Elmundo Deportivo reckons we are in an auction now with Chelsea for Touré and Ibrahimovic, especially now Mikel is injured at Chelsea.

Remembering that the Chelski chief exec said they wouldn't be getting into any bidding wars with City, I'll take both this and the Torres story with a pinch of salt. Everyone trying to up fees!

Edit - oh and there was a 'City and Chelski battle for Silva' story on the 4th (Sport.es). But we hear today that Sir Alex Baconface is spitting feathers because we are beating his pauper club to Silva!

If they both go to Chelsea, can we get Anelka and Essien instead.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:31 pm

May I be the first to say what a cracking WAG you have served up today Mr Chinners
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Chinners » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:43 pm

OFFICIAL BOLLOX
Roberto Mancini’s vision and ambition, his own firsthand knowledge of City fans’ passion and a desire to improve are the three overriding factors in Jerome Boateng swapping the Bundesliga for the Premier League.
The versatile 21-year-old defender flew into Manchester from Berlin yesterday morning for a medical and will officially become a City player in three weeks time on July 1.
He is now in South Africa preparing for Germany’s World Cup bid where he hopes to further enhance a growing reputation as one of the best young defenders in Europe.
“I am really looking forward to the World Cup and then to joining City,” he said during an interview with mcfc.co.uk before having a look around the City of Manchester Stadium.
“I spoke at length with Roberto Mancini and he impressed me with his plans for the team in the coming seasons. It was a very good conversation.
“And I know about City from when Hamburg played here in the Uefa Cup. I played in the second leg which we lost but won on aggregate on the way to the semi-finals.
I learned that night about the passion and commitment of the City fans. They made it very hard for us and got behind the side in a great way
...Jerome Boateng

Boateng is not expecting any difficulties settling into his new surroundings. Although he has not spoken English since his schooldays he has a good enough command of the language for it not to be a barrier to conversations or interviews and there are familiar faces at Carrington already.
He is a former Hamburg teammate of both Vincent Kompany and Nigel de Jong and spoke with the Belgian a couple of months ago about life in the Premier League.
“He told me of the strength of the English game, the passion of the fans and like the coach he spoke of the vision of the club to win trophies,” confirmed Boateng.
“I can’t wait to work with so many top players and show what I can do and become a better player. I believe my strengths are my pace and reading of the game. I can play at full back on either side but I prefer the central defensive position.”
Watch out for a video of Jerome’s visit on mcfc.co.uk on Monday.

Dzeko prefers Juve to City
Juventus have reportedly edged ahead of Manchester City in the race for Wolfsburg hitman Edin Dzeko.
The Bosnian is hot property on the transfer market and, according to Tuttosport, next week director general Beppe Marotta will meet with his agent.
Although Roberto Mancini’s City are likely to offer more money, the Turin-based newspaper claims Dzeko would prefer Juve.
He considers Eastlands to represent a less prestigious venture and would prefer Serie A to the Premier League.
Dzeko had already suggested this last season, when he was at the centre of a transfer tug-of-war with Milan.
Wolfsburg refused to budge due to their €40m buy-out clause, but a year later could change their minds.

Season Review pt 12
Manchester City had Shay Given to thank as his penalty save ensured they earned their fourth successive league draw against hard-working Birmingham.
Christian Benitez hit a post early on for the home side and Craig Bellamy saw a shot blocked for City.
Keeper Given came to the visitors' rescue early in the second half, saving James McFadden's penalty after Nigel de Jong had handled in the box.
Barry Ferguson's second yellow saw Birmingham reduced to 10 men late on.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 328092.stm
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Was that the time when Nige kissed Shay for his penalty save?

Don't pretend like you missed it. I got a boner from that save too so i might have kissed Shay if he saved my ass.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:55 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Was that the time when Nige kissed Shay for his penalty save?

Don't pretend like you missed it. I got a boner from that save too so i might have kissed Shay if he saved my ass.

Cheers

Or did he do that when Shay saved Lampards' penalty at home? Maybe he did both and he's a serial snogger
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Chinners » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:07 pm

craigmcfc wrote:May I be the first to say what a cracking WAG you have served up today Mr Chinners

You are welcome, a lovely find very early this morning
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:26 pm

craigmcfc wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Was that the time when Nige kissed Shay for his penalty save?

Cheers

Or did he do that when Shay saved Lampards' penalty at home? Maybe he did both and he's a serial snogger

I think yr right Craig.

Can one of the mods on the site move this to the classics topic? Craig was right about something.

Jeers.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:30 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

Cheers

I think yr right Craig.

Can one of the mods on the site move this to the classics topic? Craig was right about something.

Jeers.

Ahhh now my day is complete

Cheers
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Here you go DM, thought I'd make the effort for the Classics Thread, have your boner at the ready -

[youtube]qNH0hmSXBdI[/youtube]
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum