Craig Bellamy article (Times Online)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Craig Bellamy article (Times Online)

Postby Exiled » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:25 am

Craig Bellamy the wayward star provides light for extended family
Owen Slot, Chief Sports Reporter, Sierra Leone

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 144288.ece

The setting sounds pretty splendid, but do not be taken in. We are sitting poolside, the Atlantic Ocean is breaking on the rocks below and the drinks are cool. But, on the other hand, the climate is tropical humid and the hotel air con is apathetic; plus, the fish is good but Craig Bellamy’s stomach concedes defeat every time he comes here.

The point is this: he need not be in Sierra Leone at all. For starters, it is half-term, the only week of the year when he and his children have overlapping holidays, yet he is missing the first three days of it.

Two days previously, we had met his “other” family. He has scouted 16 of the best under-12 footballers in the West African country, he has built them a first-rate school here — and playing fields — and has promised to treat them like his own.

Soon, he will start recruiting the second-year intake. Soon, too, his spending on the Craig Bellamy Foundation Academy will near £1 million. And now he is telling me that he plans to fly Year 1 to England before Christmas for a week’s training. “I hope to bring the kids, the coaches, everything,” he says. “Give them the chance to stay in a hotel; give them an idea of Europe that is totally foreign to them.”

But each flabbergasting detail returns to the essential disconnect in the story. How do you marry the football philanthropist with the man more broadly recognised as the “Nutter With The Putter”?

Clearly, pigeonholing does not work. I offer the observation that he has a complex personality and it seems we are getting somewhere. “Completely,” he says. “If you [a manager] sign me, you’re taking on more than your normal. I am simply not like other people; I have always been fully aware of that. I’m very demanding, I’m demanding of the people around me, I want the best, I want everything to be right. If you want a comfortable life, you don’t want me. But if you get me right, you have a good player.”

He says that only two managers have got him right, Sir Bobby Robson and Mark Hughes. You wonder, then, why he does not change tack, try demanding less and fitting in more. “I’ve done that once at a football club and they never got anything out of me,” he says. “I was a shadow of a player. So I thought, ‘Sod it. I’ll go about it my way.’ If it rubs people up the wrong way, so be it.”

This might be the time to go into the crime sheet, but he has no appetite for denial. He acknowledges his mistakes, but what he will not do is apologise for who he is.

Even when we discuss John Arne Riise and the famous eight-iron, he will say, “Does it look great to be wielding a golf club? Of course it doesn’t,” but he will also tell you how much Riise was asking for it. He will add, too, that the mud started sticking to him long ago and that he cannot lose it. He reads a lot but says, sarcastically: “Don’t tell anyone about the books because it would spoil my image.”

On another occasion, we are by a river whimsically discussing the odds on the following headline — “Bellamy attacked by crocodile” — and he says: “They [the media] would say I provoked it. They’d take the crocodile’s side and say I was asking for it.” Bellamy does take himself seriously but he can laugh at himself, too.

He holds an educated debate as well. He can move with ease across different subjects, from poverty patterns in Africa to the moral vacuum in Premier League football. But you suspect that his distinguishing characteristic is the one, as he tells us, that says: sod it, I’ll go about it my way.

His formative years are a case in point. He came from working-class Cardiff, took the teenage thing seriously, “made every wrong turn you could imagine”, and, at 14, started absconding regularly from school. Norwich City, who had already signed him, identified the problems and moved him up to East Anglia before he was 15. Then he got worse.

“I was homesick,” he says. “I spent a year and a half trying my best to get sacked. I’d get involved in incidents, fights and a lot more. It was two warnings and you’re out, but I definitely went past that. For me, it’d have been a great excuse to go home; it’d have been the coach’s fault, I could have blamed everyone else so I wouldn’t have been a failure.

“My wife then became pregnant, we were both 16. That was the turning point for me. It was either: do you want to raise this child in a flat doing God knows what? Or, do you want to give him the best opportunity possible? So I trained my balls off. I found that the more I trained, the less homesick I got. I only got homesick when I went back to my digs. I got shingles; that was why I used to cry myself to sleep every night.”

At that time, Bellamy was earning £45 a week and he says that “the fear of not being able to provide for a child was the greatest fear I have ever experienced”. It was also the making of him. “If it wasn’t for my son, no way would I be here. Until fatherhood and that responsibility, I was going down that [wrong] path.”

The right path has been a fascinating one: eight clubs in 13 years. His reputation among team-mates is of as determined, hard-working and ambitious a player as you will find, but his complexities have made him one of football’s most unsettled souls. Even now there is uncertainty over whether he will remain at Manchester City next season. And he has been left with a diminished view of the game.

“Football is the greatest game in the world, don’t get me wrong,” he says. “I love playing it, but I’m not in love with it. Playing on a Saturday, there is no better feeling. But in football clubs you now have this survival mode. It’s too much.

“For every individual, players or kitchen staff, it’s all about survival, staying in your job. If someone says jump, people jump. There are individuals who will shake your hand one minute and as soon as you’re out of favour the next, they won’t look at you. Loyalty? In a football club? You’ll never see any such thing. It’s people interested in looking after themselves. I find it very tough to be around.”

And no doubt when the team are told to jump, Bellamy is the last player with two feet still on the ground. In Sierra Leone, though, he can move to his own tune. As unlikely as it is, the academy project seems ideal for him, a channel for his energy and determination; when he believes in something, he is not interested in the half-hearted approach. He has effectively taken on responsibility for the futures of 16 young boys. As he says: “I have to make it work.”

So this is no millionaire footballer buying off his own conscience. He gets mobbed here, but is uneasy with adulation. Neither is it a grandiose PR campaign because he does not court publicity — although he does get a kick out of proving the doubters wrong. “The first thing I got told by people in African football was that it can’t be done,” he says. But it can.

“I don’t think anything else in my life can give me the feeling that this does,” he says. “This gives me self-satisfaction in abundance.”

There is, you suspect, some reassurance here, too. It also demonstrates for him — not for anyone else — that he is not the character he reads about in the press. But actually, for a complex character, it is quite simple: it is about 16 boys. And soon there will be more.

Man with a history . . .

His future post-football “I’d like to be involved at youth level. Being a manager? I have no interest in that. But I’d like to work in an academy within a club.”

Popularity issues “I understand the way I play may not endear me to people, but if you see me playing for your team, I’m sure you would appreciate the effort I make.”

Sierra Leone “There’s a stigma about this country — people still think it’s a war zone. I think that plays on people’s minds about coming here. They still think you’re going to see nine-year-olds walking around with AK-47s, but that’s not the case. Having been through such a war, it amazes me how happy and friendly they are.”

Reading “I like non-fiction, history. Whether its about the war in Kosovo, Chechnya; it has to be non-fiction. My favourite book is Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah; incredible.”

Reading on the team bus “Being on a coach with 30-odd players is not the time to get into a book. We have a guy at Man City called Vincent Kompany. He takes a lot of the stick that I would get. He is the next Nelson Mandela. If he ain’t on his laptop studying, he’ll have a Mandela book open. He’s very aware, very articulate.
Exiled
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City

Re: Craig Bellamy article (Times Online)

Postby one man army » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:33 am

On another occasion, we are by a river whimsically discussing the odds on the following headline — “Bellamy attacked by crocodile” — and he says: “They [the media] would say I provoked it. They’d take the crocodile’s side and say I was asking for it.”

lol, so true...
ŁÓDZKI 1908 KLUB 2015 SPORTOWY
107 years and counting...
NIGDY NIE ZGINIE! ŁKS NIGDY NIE ZGINIE!
one man army
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: ŁKS & MCFC
My favourite player is: Bodzio W.

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:33 am

great read. I like Craig. I hope he has a couple more seasons of influence at City. i think he's really a great footballer, good family man, and i'd bet when he befriends you that you have a friend who'd walk to the end of the earth for you.

Come on Craig...stick it out here brother. You found a place to play a few more years, retire and work at our academy. Do it!

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:58 am

Exiled wrote:
Reading on the team bus “Being on a coach with 30-odd players is not the time to get into a book. We have a guy at Man City called Vincent Kompany. He takes a lot of the stick that I would get. He is the next Nelson Mandela. If he ain’t on his laptop studying, he’ll have a Mandela book open. He’s very aware, very articulate.

And that's why he NEEDS tpo get the armband next season.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Dronny » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:05 am

DoomMerchant wrote:great read. I like Craig. I hope he has a couple more seasons of influence at City. i think he's really a great footballer, good family man, and i'd bet when he befriends you that you have a friend who'd walk to the end of the earth for you.

Come on Craig...stick it out here brother. You found a place to play a few more years, retire and work at our academy. Do it!

cheers

Totally agree Doomy, I'd hate to see him leave and I'd love it if he worked with our Academy. If the kids couldn't look up to what he's done and the mistakes he made when he was younger and learn, then they'd be fools.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:17 am

Dronny wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:great read. I like Craig. I hope he has a couple more seasons of influence at City. i think he's really a great footballer, good family man, and i'd bet when he befriends you that you have a friend who'd walk to the end of the earth for you.

cheers

Totally agree Doomy, I'd hate to see him leave and I'd love it if he worked with our Academy. If the kids couldn't look up to what he's done and the mistakes he made when he was younger and learn, then they'd be fools.

Agree. Make him settle down, bit of an academy role, as he clearly can't play as much as he'd want to, but I get the impression he'd really love bringing some kids through (although there could be problems if you didn't play one of them!)

Also, following the Kaka incident, Cook spoke about wanting to set up foundations in Kaka's name as part of his salary etc. Promote Kaka, City and do a bit of good at the same time. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but maybe City should really support Bellamy with his foundation instead. He wants to fly kids over here for training - we have the support of an airline and training facilities.

To be cynical, it's also an excellent marketing opportunity, would keep Platini et al off our backs a bit if we're spending money on those sort of projects and may open up some talent in Sierra Leone and potentially other countries to give us first pick of the next Drogba or Toure.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:53 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:Agree. Make him settle down, bit of an academy role, as he clearly can't play as much as he'd want to, but I get the impression he'd really love bringing some kids through (although there could be problems if you didn't play one of them!)

Also, following the Kaka incident, Cook spoke about wanting to set up foundations in Kaka's name as part of his salary etc. Promote Kaka, City and do a bit of good at the same time. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but maybe City should really support Bellamy with his foundation instead. He wants to fly kids over here for training - we have the support of an airline and training facilities.

To be cynical, it's also an excellent marketing opportunity, would keep Platini et al off our backs a bit if we're spending money on those sort of projects and may open up some talent in Sierra Leone and potentially other countries to give us first pick of the next Drogba or Toure.

When you look at it, Bellamy has already done all of it for himself. His Foundation doesn't need City.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby ashton287 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:52 pm

i liked bellamy and thought he was hard done by till he refused to sign my little cousins shirt in the tunnel at the swamp so now i go with everyone else and say he is a cunt.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:19 am

ashton287 wrote:i liked bellamy and thought he was hard done by till he refused to sign my little cousins shirt in the tunnel at the swamp so now i go with everyone else and say he is a cunt.

Are you serious? You're mad because he refused to sign a shirt, IN THE TUNNEL?

Yeah! I hate Kobe Bryant, because he refused to sign a jersey a couple of nights ago, in the tunnel, right before tip-off against the Celtics. What a jerk!

And I hate LeBron James, because he refused to talk to me.. in between free-throws. What the hell is wrong with him.. doesn't he know I am a paying fan? Who cares if the game is going on, I payed for a ticket!

And I hate Ashley Cole because he refused to sign an England jersey for my friend.. of course, I did walk into his hotel room while he was having sex with a cleaning maid.. but STILL.. doesn't he know that I help support the Prem by watching it on FSC every weekend, which indirectly supports his team, and thus helps pay his salary! What a jackass!

(Actually, no sarcasm there, we all know he is a jackass)

Sometimes, I wonder how/where people were raised, when they make statements like this. I could care less how big/small of a star a particular player might be, they are not required to sign a shirt, on demand. Doesn't matter if it's a child, or the PM.. these players probably get asked all the time, everywhere, and on most occasions the request is highly intrusive and inappropriate.

If one takes the time to look past the surface of the English tabloids, I think that the reasonable conclusion would be that Bellers is a decent man who has made some serious mistakes in the past, due to an unruly childhood that led to a fiery temper.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:11 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:
ashton287 wrote:i liked bellamy and thought he was hard done by till he refused to sign my little cousins shirt in the tunnel at the swamp so now i go with everyone else and say he is a cunt.

Yeah! I hate Kobe Bryant, because he refused to sign a jersey a couple of nights ago, in the tunnel, right before tip-off against the Celtics. What a jerk!

And I hate LeBron James, because he refused to talk to me.. in between free-throws. What the hell is wrong with him.. doesn't he know I am a paying fan? Who cares if the game is going on, I payed for a ticket!

And I hate Ashley Cole because he refused to sign an England jersey for my friend.. of course, I did walk into his hotel room while he was having sex with a cleaning maid.. but STILL.. doesn't he know that I help support the Prem by watching it on FSC every weekend, which indirectly supports his team, and thus helps pay his salary! What a jackass!

Sometimes, I wonder how/where people were raised, when they make statements like this. I could care less how big/small of a star a particular player might be, they are not required to sign a shirt, on demand. Doesn't matter if it's a child, or the PM.. these players probably get asked all the time, everywhere, and on most occasions the request is highly intrusive and inappropriate.

If one takes the time to look past the surface of the English tabloids, I think that the reasonable conclusion would be that Bellers is a decent man who has made some serious mistakes in the past, due to an unruly childhood that led to a fiery temper.

Funny you should mention someone who has sexually assaulted a woman.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby colonel_muck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:22 am

please don't go craig.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 am

colonel_muck wrote:please don't go craig.

No chance of that happening, he has over 5000 posts.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Citeh&Crew wrote:

I personally don't find that fact funny.

FWIW, I am not a Kobe "fan". I used his name because I hoped it would be recognizable enough for those to get my point.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Citeh&Crew wrote:

I personally don't find that fact funny.

FWIW, I am not a Kobe "fan". I used his name because I hoped it would be recognizable enough for those to get my point.

Are you familiar with concept of irony?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Citeh&Crew » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants. wrote:Are you familiar with concept of irony?

What? Is that something you do to clothing?
Citeh&Crew

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Are you familiar with concept of irony?

Are you?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Fish111 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Slim wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Are you familiar with concept of irony?

Are you?

PMSL.

Regarding Bellamy. I find it very difficult to get too attached to players anymore and it looks like he finds it too hard to get too attached to any particular football club. He's a very good player that i want in my team but i wouldn't start crying if he left us.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum