The TEN World Cup starlets Outside The Premier League

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The TEN World Cup starlets Outside The Premier League

Postby Vhero » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Only 10 more days to go until the biggest event in football begins and engulfs a month of our lives (a worthwhile one though wouldn’t you say?).

The World Cup is a stage not only for established players in football, but it’s also a stage where young rising stars can showcase their talents and become household names in years to come.

Here are the top 10 young stars to look out for at this year’s World Cup in South Africa:

Mesut Ozil (Germany)

Young, talented and highly ambitious, three words to describe Germany’s rising star Mesut Ozil.

Playing his football for Bundersliga side Werder Bremen, the 21-year-old has already established himself as one of, if not, the Germans main man for World Cup glory. Ozil put himself on the map when he was just 17, when the German attacking midfielder signed for Schalke 04 in 2005. In 2008 Ozil signed for Werder Bremen for an estimated £4.3 million and has since shined very brightly.

Ozil was playing his international football for the German U-21 team and was the key catalyst to his side winning the U-21 European Championships last summer.

Ozil will be taking a huge step playing for the senior national team, but with the talent he possesses the midfielder is sure to be a big hit for Germany and the tournament in whole. A definite one to watch this summer and clubs around Europe will no doubt be monitoring the German ace in South Africa.

[youtube]bM8qJdF3qhY[/youtube]

Alexis Sanchez (Chile)

Known as ‘El Nino Maravilla’ (the wonder boy) the Chilean is exactly that. The 21-year-old Udinese winger is blessed with explosive pace, bags of trickery and has a keen eye for goal. With all these attributes at his disposal, the Chilean poses a major threat for any full-back that comes up against him this summer.

Sanchez has already managed to make 28 appearances for his country and has netted 11 times along the way. Chile boasts a real star in the making, and a great tournament for the young winger/striker could spark interest from a number of clubs around Europe and in England. Watch out for him this summer in South Africa, he looks to be a potential star of the tournament.

[youtube]HY9FoCNlSsM[/youtube]

Simon Kjaer (Denmark)

At only 21 years of age, the Danish centre-back has already established himself as a first-team performer for Serie A side Palermo in under just 2 years. A lot of interest has been shown in the 6’ 2’’ defender in recent months and a buy out clause of £11 million will no doubt attract more attention this summer.

He is currently one of the most talked about defenders on the market, and his performances this season have no doubt credited such gossip. Kjaer is young, strong, quick and very assured when in possession of the ball (everything a defender must acquire to become a great one).

Although Kjaer is still very young, he is highly rated in Europe and is tipped to be a world-class centre-back in the near future. Look out for the solid defender this summer, he is sure to be a big hit this summer.

[youtube]KScAAgf95Jo[/youtube]

Victor Obinna (Nigeria)

The 23-year-old Inter Milan striker has agility, blistering pace and strength to accompany these. Obinna was on-loan this season with Primera Division side Malaga, where the young forward managed to bag 9 goals in 24 appearances (not bad at all). The Nigerian also has 24 caps to his name and 10 goals for his country as well. The highlight of his career is arguably when he captained his national team at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, where he managed to pick up a silver medal.

The rapid striker may not start for Nigeria this summer, but he is bound to get a game somewhere along the way. Watch out for him and if he impresses there is no reason why clubs won’t be after him after the competition.

[youtube]5taqDmlkGMk[/youtube]

Michael Bradley (USA)

Son of the US manager Bob, Michael is in the team on merit that’s for sure. Bradley is a huge fan favourite at Borussia Monchengladbach for his all out action midfield style. The midfielder loves to attack as well as break them up, and has great passing and ball control (England you have been warned). The young midfielder already has 42 caps and 7 goals for his country; he can only get better with time and the right guidance. Premier League clubs will no doubt be keeping tabs on his performances in South Africa this summer.

The 22-year-old poses a real threat in the middle of the park, and is sure to be one of the potential stars in this year’s World Cup.

[youtube]8nprZBsiTSM[/youtube]

Angel Di Maria (Argentina)

Diego Maradona has tipped the left winger to be a worldwide superstar in the future, and all signs lead to Angel Di Maria being exactly that.

The Argentine has great skill, pace and bags of trickery and most importantly loves to run at defenders. The wide man loves to whip in deadly crosses and can bag a few goals as well. With this ability at his disposal, Di Maria has the potential to be a rising star of the tournament and football in general.

The Benfica man has only 8 caps and 1 goal for his country so far, but he is still very young at only 22 years old. Chelsea and Manchester United have shown interest in the past and will no doubt be monitoring his performances in South Africa. A very promising talent, and if a man like Diego Maradona says the player will be a worldwide superstar, then we should take his word for it.

[youtube]40xNb8b6Kkk[/youtube]

Gregory van der Wiel (Netherlands)

A more recent product of the famous Ajax academy, van der Wiel appears to be a talented young right-back for the future.

The Ajax no.2 is only 22 years old, but has already attracted the likes of Manchester City and Arsenal. The Dutch full-back loves to bomb down the flanks with his pace when possible and he can also defend (unlike some full-backs these days).

Van der Wiel possesses great speed, agility and movement which will cause the opposition some bother this summer. The right-back will surely be apart of the Dutch setup and with recent interest shown in him already; a good tournament could attract more clubs.

[youtube]aNCsLEW1cgc[/youtube]

Sotiris Ninis (Greece)

The 20-year old Greek has great technique, ball control, vision and passing, and is Greece’s wonder boy for this year’s World Cup.

Ninis plays his club football for Panathinaikos and is highly rated in his homeland. The attacking midfielder is still very young but has extraordinary talent for such a tender age. Rather than score a goal, the midfielder loves to thread balls and plays a simple game (which is great to see).

Although, he only has 3 caps and only just the 1 goal for his country so far, he is bound to change this as time goes by. If the youngster can perform well this summer, then you can expect European clubs (including Premier League) looking to acquire his signature. Remember where you heard about this kid first, without question, he will be a star in the future.

[youtube]Og6HhvZQq0o[/youtube]

Marko Marin (Germany)

Marko Marin is the German Lionel Messi. The 21-year-old is highly rated in his country and has great ability for such a young age. The winger has great pace, bags of trickery and superb balance as well as ball control. You wouldn’t think he was a German player with all these attributes, but he is definitely something different and will be utilized well this summer.

Marin and Ozil will give the Germans a new dimension at this year’s World Cup. Both midfielders’ play for Werder Bremen, which means they will have a good understanding of one another’s approach on the pitch.

Marin has not yet attracted attention from clubs in the Premier League, but this can change in a hurry. A rising star for sure and could be the key to success for the Germans this summer in South Africa.

[youtube]YlMCNLUj0A4[/youtube]

Marek Hamsik (Slovakia)

Napoli’s attacking midfielder poses a major threat to the oppositions defence this summer. At only 22 years of age, Hamsik is Slovakia’s main man at the World Cup and will be heavily relied on to spearhead his country to World Cup glory

The Slovakian has a piercing eye for goal, superb technique and precise passing and is tipped to be a huge star in the future and in this summer’s World Cup. Premier League clubs will no doubt be sending scouts to South Africa to watch this young talented footballer.

[youtube]fWPncEFb5tI[/youtube]
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: The TEN World Cup starlets Outside The Premier League

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Yes, Hamsik, the one we have no intention of signing but if he has a good world cup could more or less choose his club. Apparently we arent interested. HMM
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Kyle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:45 pm

You should be more excited, there's actually only 7 days until copa mundial mate!
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Kyle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Oh and that ninis fella looks a bit overrated in my eyes. I would actually like to see him make a volley instead of being labeled a wonderkid and only show random crosses and missed volleys on the vid... I mean just learn from samaras on how to be manipulative with a youtube vid, but this little guy apperently hasn't learned the tricks yet.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby halnone » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Michael Bradley is one of the best usa prospects imo. he's a great player and has a great future
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Svensational wrote:We've been linked with 5 of those.

Only 5? There's time yet.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:02 am

That's actually pretty good shopping list.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ryanmjo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:51 am

It's kind of funny about Michael Bradley. He seems to be pretty well respected over in Europe, yet in the US a lot of people aren't too sure about him yet. He has an unfortunate knack for picking up red cards right before big games.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Knappe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:15 am

Bradley didn´t make any great impression on me in the Bundesliga. By the way, why is there never a goalkeeper in that kind of list?
Die Nummer 1 im Pott sind wir
Knappe
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Schalke04

Postby Slim » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:28 am

Knappe wrote:Bradley didn´t make any great impression on me in the Bundesliga. By the way, why is there never a goalkeeper in that kind of list?

Lloris would be about the only one I think.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:01 am

Knappe wrote:Bradley didn´t make any great impression on me in the Bundesliga. By the way, why is there never a goalkeeper in that kind of list?

How did Bayern's young leftback do over the season? (Holger Badstuber) I'm trying to find a few opinions on him (I saw the Champion's League final but was busy watching Lahm rather than their leftback) - he seems to have impressed in his first season though. Hopefully he will get some match time in the World Cup.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby edge275 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:21 am

Personally I think Alexis Sanchez is an absolutely brilliant player and I'm glad he's in that list. I reckon we'd have to pay Udinese £20 mill for them to consider selling him.

I also quietly reckon Weiss will be able to showcase his talents on the world stage and will wake some people up as to how good he is. If we had Sanchez, Hazard, Weiss and A. Johnson all fighting it out for our wing positions we'd have the best options in world football for the wing.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Knappe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:35 am

Dameerto wrote:

How did Bayern's young leftback do over the season? (Holger Badstuber) I'm trying to find a few opinions on him (I saw the Champion's League final but was busy watching Lahm rather than their leftback) - he seems to have impressed in his first season though. Hopefully he will get some match time in the World Cup.

Badstuber is originally a center back. He made nearly all of the Bayern matches this season over the full distance and that in his first season. It was quite impressing, but i have my doubts watching him as a left back on an international level. If Marcell Jansen is not fit, the german team will have some real problems on the left side and he might really get some match time there.
Die Nummer 1 im Pott sind wir
Knappe
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Schalke04

Postby Vhero » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:57 pm

edge275 wrote:Personally I think Alexis Sanchez is an absolutely brilliant player and I'm glad he's in that list. I reckon we'd have to pay Udinese £20 mill for them to consider selling him.

I also quietly reckon Weiss will be able to showcase his talents on the world stage and will wake some people up as to how good he is. If we had Sanchez, Hazard, Weiss and A. Johnson all fighting it out for our wing positions we'd have the best options in world football for the wing.

Would love Alexis Sanchez at city to show his magic he is like Robinho but without the sulking. I reckon he could make it in the prem and light it on fire. He would give Weiss a run for his money aswell..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby edge275 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Vhero wrote:
edge275 wrote:Personally I think Alexis Sanchez is an absolutely brilliant player and I'm glad he's in that list. I reckon we'd have to pay Udinese £20 mill for them to consider selling him.

Would love Alexis Sanchez at city to show his magic he is like Robinho but without the sulking. I reckon he could make it in the prem and light it on fire. He would give Weiss a run for his money aswell..

Agree. Sanchez works his socks off. If I was manager him and Eden Hazard would be must buys, along with Jovetic from Florentina. Get the next superstars and make them our own.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:10 pm

he was good but hardly outstanding in the dutch league the last two seasons before moving to boroussia. i always enjoyed watching him, but don't think he has what it takes to make it really big. mid table bundesliga, or balckburn/fullham seems to be his top level, imo. but he's still young,so he might still develop...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Florida Blue » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:19 pm

ryanmjo wrote:It's kind of funny about Michael Bradley. He seems to be pretty well respected over in Europe, yet in the US a lot of people aren't too sure about him yet. He has an unfortunate knack for picking up red cards right before big games.

Ryan, that is my feeling on him too, but in the Confederations Cup that red (cannot recall if it was a second yellow or not) was really unwarranted and the official a bit zealous. I am not a huge fan of his father, but I think he will be a very good player, but on skill alone, not really what we would want at City.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ryanmjo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Florida Blue wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:It's kind of funny about Michael Bradley. He seems to be pretty well respected over in Europe, yet in the US a lot of people aren't too sure about him yet. He has an unfortunate knack for picking up red cards right before big games.

Ryan, that is my feeling on him too, but in the Confederations Cup that red (cannot recall if it was a second yellow or not) was really unwarranted and the official a bit zealous. I am not a huge fan of his father, but I think he will be a very good player, but on skill alone, not really what we would want at City.

The red in the Confederations Cup was a straight red, for a "studs up" tackle in the 86th minute, up 2-0. I thought the call was really unwarranted as well, just pointing that out. I don't think he fits into City's plans, just thought it was interesting that he got a positive mention on the Times World Cup podcast and now on this list, while he seems to be a kind of divisive figure here in the States.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby colonel_muck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:32 am

crcking read that loving the sound of michael bradley. doubtless city are going to get linked to everyone who scores a goal or makes a great tackle.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Esky » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 am

How is Obinna still only 23? Feels like he's been around for 10 years now. Of the rest, Hamsik and Di Maria are the only ones I'm familiar with beyond FM.

Also hoping Ozil and Marin are very quiet in the group stage.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum