World Cup memories - 1966.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

World Cup memories - 1966.

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:08 am

The thread on North Korea got me thinking about how well their team did in England in '66. Remember Pak Do Ik? NK beating Italy at Ayresome Park and sending the Italians home in disgrace, then leading Portugal 3-0 in the quarter finals at a packed and ecstatic Goodison before Eusebio decided to beat them on his own, and it ended 5-3. It was the same day England beat Argentina at Wembley and their captain got sent off for something akin to "aggressive walking." Like it was yesterday I can see this Brazilian lad waving his flag as he hitch-hiked to see his team play in LIverpool, he was so excited running to get into a car that stopped for him he left his bag by the side of the East Lancs Road. (pity I can' t remember much from yesterday.)
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Re: World Cup memories - 1966.

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:14 am

I was very nearly 6. Actually remember fuck all except the final being played and a big fuss, but obviously read/seen everything else over the years.

Now if ever a man was in the right place at the right time it was Geoff Hurst. So if Jimmy Greaves had been fit.........................
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:17 am

I wasn't even a twinkle in the postman's eye at that point.

FFS we got some old cunts on here.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:46 am

Wait til john68 gets on - it was just before he retired!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:14 am

Ah, respect yer elders you young f*ckers. I was actually thinking about posting about the 1958 World Cup in Sweden (England, Wales, N. Ireland, and Scotland all involved.) Watched that on a brand new 11'' black & white telly that had to warm up after you turned it on and had a little white dot that slowly disappeared when you turned it off. Anyway age is relative, me and John68 are only youngsters, my dad's 90 and still follows City when he can remember which button to press on the wireless and with a bit of luck I'll still get to games when Joe Hart's lad is in the nets.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Slim » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:18 am

On the wireless? I hear that young Orson Wells is doing a radioplay later, should be fun.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:45 am

BobbyJ1956 wrote:Ah, respect yer elders you young f*ckers. I was actually thinking about posting about the 1958 World Cup in Sweden (England, Wales, N. Ireland, and Scotland all involved.) Watched that on a brand new 11'' black & white telly that had to warm up after you turned it on and had a little white dot that slowly disappeared when you turned it off. Anyway age is relative, me and John68 are only youngsters, my dad's 90 and still follows City when he can remember which button to press on the wireless and with a bit of luck I'll still get to games when Joe Hart's lad is in the nets.

FFS buy him a telly!
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Return to The Maine Football forum