Benitez Out?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Benitez Out?

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Renato_CTID wrote:I'd bet for Kenny Dalglish as their new manager, he'd deserve at all!

If I was putting money on it, I'd probably go the same; Kenny for Caretaker. Butif they are going to sell off the jewels, I'd suggest someone who has more of a reputation to gain by being at Liverpool than let's say, a lower team (or no job at all ;-)).

Amongst all the discussions Benitez will have had, im pretty sure it was a key demand of his that not only were the best players to stay, but he wanted more money to strengthen. By all accounts he was told there was no money to strengthen unless he sells, which was probably the reason they have come to this compromise.

Benitez was on a dodgy wicket with the fans after the team's performance last year. Had he also then been responsible for selling the best players, he was a dead man walking anyway - and with his record in the transfer market, he would have only spunked the proceeds on a load of very average players.

So, will the next manager sell to buy, or will he keep Torres / Gerrard and hope they do better next year? Its often forgotten that Benitez once went over 100 games without naming the same team twice, so maybe all they need is a manager who actually knows what they are doing, stop wasting money on shit players and to play attacking football that their squad is perfectly suited for

Good post mate, pretty accurate in my opinion. The only thing I'd add is 'Will the new manager have a choice of who stays or goes?', and I'm sure the players will have a say as well.

Ultimately, the better players now have their perfect excuse to agitate for a move. If they want to leave it really is now or never for them, particularly Gerrard, and they probably wouldnt be seen in a bad light by the Liverpool fans
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I don't know if it's already been posted but Liverpool have confirmed that Rafa will leave the club.

Benitez leaves Liverpool

Liverpool have confirmed that manager Rafa Benitez is to leave the club by mutual consent after six years at the helm.

The Spaniard had found his position under severe scrutiny after a miserable season which saw the Anfield outfit finish seventh in the Premier League, missing out on UEFA Champions League football next term.

Benitez's relationship with American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett had become increasingly strained and rumours began circulating that he was to be shown the door on Wednesday evening.

It emerged negotiations were under way behind the scenes to agree a severance package, which is believed to be £6million, with the former Valencia boss having only recently signed a lucrative new long-term contract.

And Liverpool finally broke their silence over the issue shortly before 4pm on Thursday with confirmation that the man who secured the Champions League trophy in 2005 and the FA Cup the following season was heading for the exit.

Benitez told the club's official website: "It is very sad for me to announce that I will no longer be manager of Liverpool FC. I would like to thank all of the staff and players for their efforts.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool.

"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

The club will now begin their search for a new boss, with managing director Christian Purslow and club ambassador Kenny Dalglish charged with selecting potential candidates for the role

Several names have already been linked with the post, including Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, Fulham manager Roy Hodgson and Guus Hiddink, who recently signed a deal to manage the Turkey national side.

Benitez's departure leaves the club in an even greater state of flux, with Hicks and Gillett keen to sell their stake to new owners and doubts persisting over the future of star players such as Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

Reds chairman Martin Broughton saluted their outgoing manager but claimed that a change at the top was necessary after a miserable season on the field.

He said: "Rafa will forever be part of Liverpool folklore after bringing home the Champions League following the epic final in Istanbul but after a disappointing season both parties felt a fresh start would be best for all concerned.''

skysports.com
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby bluej » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Anyway, I'm shocked that it took this long. Benitez is a shit manager who has no idea how to buil a squad. He lived off that Champion's League win for five years. He has spent hundreds of millions on absolute dross and that is one of the main reasons why Liverpool are in shite right now, not because of their oweners.

Completely agree with this, the bloke won the CL with someone else's squad and has done very little since.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:30 pm

bluej wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Anyway, I'm shocked that it took this long. Benitez is a shit manager who has no idea how to buil a squad. He lived off that Champion's League win for five years. He has spent hundreds of millions on absolute dross and that is one of the main reasons why Liverpool are in shite right now, not because of their oweners.

Completely agree with this, the bloke won the CL with someone else's squad and has done very little since.

Yeah great point that. He signed Alonso and Luis Garcia. Having said that though, the guy knows how to do well with a shit side in a cup - I would argue that our current side is twice the side these are, but would we expect to win the CL with it?

Possibly one of the worst sides ever to win the CL, Traore says it all

Dudek, Finnan (Hamann 46), Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Kewell (Smicer 23), Baros (Cisse 85).
Subs Not Used: Carson, Josemi, Nunez, Biscan.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:05 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
bluej wrote:

Yeah great point that. He signed Alonso and Luis Garcia. Having said that though, the guy knows how to do well with a shit side in a cup - I would argue that our current side is twice the side these are, but would we expect to win the CL with it?

Dudek, Finnan (Hamann 46), Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Kewell (Smicer 23), Baros (Cisse 85).

johnpb78 wrote:
Craig B wrote:
Manx Blue wrote:RAFFA HAS GONE....R5L CONFIRM

Yep rubber-stamped now - quotes and everything! Quite a touching goodbye from him as well..

LINK

Fucking gutted, they will be a threat next season with a competent manager in charge of a league campaign

Wait, so did Fray Benitez work miracles to win the CL with a crap team or will a decent manager make them a threat for the title?

Can someone please clear this up?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
bluej wrote:

johnpb78 wrote:
Craig B wrote:
Manx Blue wrote:RAFFA HAS GONE....R5L CONFIRM

Yep rubber-stamped now - quotes and everything! Quite a touching goodbye from him as well..

LINK

Fucking gutted, they will be a threat next season with a competent manager in charge of a league campaign

Wait, so did Fray Benitez work miracles to win the CL with a crap team or will a decent manager make them a threat for the title?

Can someone please clear this up?

Sorry mate, maybe thread didnt read on as it should. I had earlier said about their league predicament:

Its often forgotten that Benitez once went over 100 games without naming the same team twice, so maybe all they need is a manager who actually knows what they are doing, stop wasting money on shit players and to play attacking football that their squad is perfectly suited for

He is a good cup manager, that is absolutely not in doubt, his messing about with the squad, team selection etc makes him a disaster in the league though
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:11 am

Has anyone suggested Phil Neal yet?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 am

john@staustell wrote:Has anyone suggested Phil Neal yet?

Nope but give it a week or so.

Personally I think getting rid of Rafa (or should that be Rafa nicking £6m large and doing a runner) is going to be a disaster for them but then I actually rate Rafa what with 2 CL finals, running a close second last year in the PL and throwing in an FA cup in his 5 years there.

Who they get next will tell us everything about where they will be for the foreseeable future. If its MoN or Hughsie or even (god forbid) Dalgleish as manager then that's Liverpool as a top 10 side battling for a Europa League on a modest budget for the next few years.

So short of a sugar daddy type swooping in to buy them in the next few months they are screwed.

Ain't history a bitch.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Exiled » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 am

Get the fucking violins out.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ind ... c=214282.0

They have a (relatively) shit season, lose their manager and then a thread like this turns up on RAWK. They don't know what failure is do they :D
Exiled
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am

aladdinblue wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Ahhh well,Klinsmann or Hughes in i reckon.

A Liverpool fan I know would be up for Sparky but he's only a young lad and might just be grabbing names out of the air

Ermmmmmm, yeah alright.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby btajim » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:32 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
aladdinblue wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Ahhh well,Klinsmann or Hughes in i reckon.

A Liverpool fan I know would be up for Sparky but he's only a young lad and might just be grabbing names out of the air

Ermmmmmm, yeah alright.

Hughes belongs at a Club like Newcastle. If they left him to it then he could make them a reasonable side on a limited budget. Would be very underwhelmed if I was a Liverpool Fan and they appointed him and Bowen etc.

Keegan?!
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Grob » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:01 am

His head had to roll following last season and looking at how he has spent money in the past, i wouldnt give him anymore.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum