Official 2010 Fifa World Cup match ball - Jabulani

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Official 2010 Fifa World Cup match ball - Jabulani

Postby craigmcfc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Found this vid quite interesting, though maybe I spend too much time watching "How it's Made" on the Discovery Channel

[youtube]zbLjk4OTRdI[/youtube]

Here's the reason it looks like it does

[youtube]Ap2rE58s9ho[/youtube]
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Re: Official 2010 Fifa World Cup match ball - Jabulani

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:09 pm

The smaller panels and more depth in the stitching has apparently made it not a favourite with the players as it moves a lot more than what they are used to, might make for some outrageous goals though.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dronny » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 pm

One of my favourite rice dishes
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Where are the little Chinese kids that really make these balls?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby TonyM » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:16 pm

How can anyone think it's a good idea to introduce a newly designed ball at this point of the tournament? It's ridiculous to think that players are uncomfortable with the ball at this stage. Fifa are truely a joke.
TonyM
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Slim wrote:The smaller panels and more depth in the stitching has apparently made it not a favourite with the players as it moves a lot more than what they are used to, might make for some outrageous goals though.

At altitude it goes a lot faster and moves a lot more. I'd say that "not a favourite" is an understatement. We have seen interviews from the goalkeepers of several countries over the last few days going mad about the behaviour of the ball at altitude, as nobody apparently thought to check how it would work 2000m up.

Fifa today did a press conference about it absolving themselves of blame, and saying it is Adidas' ball, not theirs. If they are making excuses already, there must be something pretty seriously wrong with it.

But, more goals = more entertainment = more sponsorship, and seeing that FIFA take every penny of the sponsorship from the world cup (yes thats right, South Africa dont get a fucking penny), then it should be right up FIFA's corrupt cheating street.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby craigmcfc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:30 pm

TonyM wrote:How can anyone think it's a good idea to introduce a newly designed ball at this point of the tournament? It's ridiculous to think that players are uncomfortable with the ball at this stage. Fifa are truely a joke.

I think they used it for the World Club Championship around the beginning of the year but apart from that then it's new to most teams and players. Most reports are pretty negative about it and it's certainly not been well received by players
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby halnone » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:49 pm

these players just need to shut up and play. the excuses have already begun. my club has a few of these and i love them. they might be a bit lighter but i feel like i have better control with them anyway. these players are professionals. they should be able to play with this ball just fine.
i like the idea of having a new world cup ball. more goals. more entertainment. so just get over it.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:04 pm

When we go out on pens to a)Germany b)Argentina c)portugal or d)Brazil we can say a)it was the ball b)Heskey should have buried that chance in the last minute c)we needed Walcotts pace d)Maradona is a cheat or, the altenative view e)FIFA are corrupt cunts

I'm blaming the ball already, and FIFA.
Bianchi on Ice

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:When we go out on pens to a)Germany b)Argentina c)portugal or d)Brazil we can say a)it was the ball b)Heskey should have buried that chance in the last minute c)we needed Walcotts pace d)Maradona is a cheat or, the altenative view e)FIFA are corrupt cunts

I'm blaming the ball already, and FIFA.

I'd still settle for Heskey being a satisfactory excuse amongst all that lot
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby JamieMCFC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Adidas hit back Monday at criticism that the World Cup ball is difficult to control and a nightmare for goalkeepers, stressing that it was widely tested and approved long ago.

Company spokesman Thomas van Schaik said he was surprised to hear the critical comments, made by top goalkeepers such as Spain's Iker Casillas and Brazil's Julio Cesar, because the "Jabulani" balls had been used for months without any complaints.

"We started using it in December in a wide variety of leagues," he told The Associated Press. "All the response we have had has been positive.

"On top of that, we have distributed it to all the finalists so that they have been able to get used to the ball. Apparently they have not taken advantage of that if we are only hearing this criticism now. I am quite surprised in these circumstances."

Brazil has been in South Africa since Thursday and Cesar described the World Cup balls as "terrible," comparing them with cheap ones bought in a supermarket. Casillas said the balls were "in an appalling condition."

Field players have been critical, too. Brazil striker Luis Fabiano described the ball as "weird" and suddenly changing trajectory and Italy's Giampaolo Pazzini said it was "a disaster."

"It moves so much and makes it difficult to control," the Italian striker said. "You jump up to head a cross and suddenly the ball will move and you miss it."

In contrast, several German players have said they were happy with the new ball, although some of them or their clubs have adidas sponsorship.

Mario Gomez, who scored with the ball for Bayern Munich, said he found it "a little harder."

"It hurts a little, but if you hit it right, it flies," he said.

Asked why the ball behaved differently at altitude, where many of the games will be played in South Africa, Van Schaik said that applied to all balls.

"It does what every ball does [at altitude] and that really doesn't have anything to do with it," he said. "The different air pressure at altitude does make the ball move faster. We did have extensive testing with regard to altitude."

Van Schaik also said he thinks the criticism will taper off once the games start.

"If you look back in history there have always been criticisms about the ball before the World Cup but not so much afterwards after you've seen great goals or great saves," he said.

"The ball is much more accurate, making the best players in the world even better. If they kick the ball they want it to go where they are aiming for and even the goalkeepers get a better idea of where the ball is going."
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:18 pm

FIFA just need to make sure that if the ball is handled into the net, or bounces on or over the line, or is knocked in by someone in an offside position, that justice is done, and is seen to be done.

Ha! what a naive little shit I am
Bianchi on Ice

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Every fourth year, around a week before the start of the World Cup, some sponsor comes out to say that the ball is "rounder", "lighter". "made of fewer materials" and "swerves more than ever". They should just have done with it and use fly-aways ffs.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 pm

I can imagine it being like one of these on Blackpool Beach.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mr_nool » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 am

On the subject of world cup footballs, [urlnp=http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/bankoniva/2010/06/mundial-moments-vi]HERE'S[/urlnp] a great entry from a Swedish football blog (language is not an issue).
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby dazby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 am

Language is a bit of an issue Noolie. What does it say?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 am

mr_nool wrote:On the subject of world cup footballs, [urlnp=http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/bankoniva/2010/06/mundial-moments-vi]HERE'S[/urlnp] a great entry from a Swedish football blog (language is not an issue).

Nice, I would love to see the players kicking around that ankle breaker from 1934, see if they complain about an overly light ball with too much stitching. I thought the 2006 ball was supposedly the most advanced ball ever created and therefore needed no improvement, or is it like football kits and they need a new one every year?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:26 am

It's the worlds best, until next season's model comes along.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:10 am

mr_nool wrote:On the subject of world cup footballs, [urlnp=http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/bankoniva/2010/06/mundial-moments-vi]HERE'S[/urlnp] a great entry from a Swedish football blog (language is not an issue).

That was interesting remembering how those balls looked at each tournament, as Slim has already said todays' players really aren't in a position to complain after seeing some of those earlier balls
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Chinners » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:21 am

Ha ha, we should put the return of this football in our bid ...

Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum