Why 23

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Why 23

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Can someone explain to me from where did this magic number come from for International squads? Why not 22 which is double the number of players that can be fielded and makes some sense. Why not 24 or 25 or even 30 ?? A team going all the way to the semis or the final can end up (with injuries and card bans) with much less than the 23 they started with. So why is this number set in stone.
And if I remember correctly, in the WC's, the 12 non starters can be on the bench from which 3 can be chosen. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Re: Why 23

Postby Lee_Kinda » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm

I am guessing but I think its 2 for every position and 3 in goal.
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Dipstick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:50 pm

I suspect that they worked it out as a player + replacement for each position plus an extra goalie.
"People say I'm egocentric, but enough about them." Lily Allen
Dipstick
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchster CIty
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Dipstick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Lee_Kinda wrote:I am guessing but I think its 2 for every position and 3 in goal.

Great minds think alike.
"People say I'm egocentric, but enough about them." Lily Allen
Dipstick
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchster CIty
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Socrates » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:03 pm

yep. used to be 22 then they added in an extra place for a third goalie.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Socrates wrote:yep. used to be 22 then they added in an extra place for a third goalie.

Makes sense.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Makes no sense at all, it's just an enigma.

The 23 enigma refers to the belief that most incidents and events are directly connected to the number 23, some modification of the number 23, or a number related to the number 23. Did you not see the film?!?

For more, you know you want to click [urlnp=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_Enigma]Here[/urlnp] ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Slightly related, it seems that when they made it 23 they made in mandatory to take 3 'keepers:

John Ashdown @ The Guardian wrote:Fifa rules apparently state that teams must name three goalkeepers in their squad for the World Cup," writes Joe Diaz. "Has anyone ever used all three, or is it just a complete waste of a squad number?"

Article 26.3 of Fifa's World Cup Regulations (a thrilling read if you have the time) indeed states: "Each association will be required to provide Fifa with a final [squad] list of no more than 23 players (three of whom shall be goalkeepers)." The convention of naming three keepers in a squad goes back to 1934 (the United States had named only one in their squad in 1930). Several teams changed goalkeepers mid-tournament in the early years but you have go all the way to 1974 to find the first substitute goalkeeper, when Mwamba Kazadi of Zaire conceded three goals in the first 20 minutes and was replaced by Tubilandu Dimbi (who went on to concede another six).

The need to use several goalkeepers is rare – in 1990 the 24 teams used a total of 27 keepers, while as recently as 1998 the 32 sides in France used a combined 36. In all, only four teams have ever used three goalkeepers in a single World Cup tournament. That's out of 371 teams to have qualified for the finals – surely time for Fifa to change the rules.

First to use a trio of keepers were France in 1978. The No1 was Jean-Paul Bertrand-Demanes who played in Les Bleus' opening game against Italy. In the second group game against Argentina, Bertrand-Demanes smashed either his back or head (it varies between reports) on a post after pulling off a save and had to be replaced by Dominique Baratelli, a 31-year-old who had made sporadic appearances since 1969. He conceded the winning goal against Argentina and was replaced for France's final group game by Dominique Dropsy. The game against Hungary was Dropsy's debut and he would go on to win another 16 caps. Neither Baratelli nor Bertrand-Demanes would ever play for the national side again.

Belgium went into the 1982 tournament with the eccentric (he served a three-month ban in 1980 after elbowing a linesman in a Belgian Cup match) but hugely talented Jean-Marie Pfaff as their first choice. Pfaff had been welcomed, somewhat apprehensively, back to the fold after missing the 1978 European Championships because of his practical joking, but he couldn't keep his inner comedian under wraps. He was dropped following the first group stage after apparently pretending to drown in the swimming pool at the team hotel. His replacement in Belgium's opening game in the second group stage was Theo Custers, whose performance against Poland was so abject it was his last ("Custers's last stand," notes the World Cup historian Cris Freddi). For the Belgian's final game Jacky Munaron took the gloves.

Also in 1982, Czechoslovakia used three keepers. Zdenek Hruska played from start to finish against Kuwait, but Stanislav Seman was preferred for the Czech's game against England. A calamitous performance – it would be his last for the national side – lasted 75 minutes before he broke a finger and was replaced by third-choice Karel Stromsik, who kept the No1 spot for the final group game.

The most recent team to use three goalkeepers in a single tournament were the hapless Greece side of 1994. The Greeks had gone undefeated through qualifying and named the experienced Antonis Minou, who had conceded only twice in five qualifiers, as No1 for the opening game against Argentina. A 4-0 defeat saw 25-year-old AEK keeper Elias Atmatsidis in goal against Bulgaria. Another 4-0 defeat followed and he was replaced by 24-year-old Christos Karkamanis for the final group game. That brought a slight improvement in fortunes – a 2-0 defeat to Nigeria.

Source
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:08 pm

23 is a mathematically magic number..

but hey thats got absolutely nothing to do with it.. 22 + 1 extra goalie

mushy peas

cheers
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Makes no sense at all, it's just an enigma.

The 23 enigma refers to the belief that most incidents and events are directly connected to the number 23, some modification of the number 23, or a number related to the number 23. Did you not see the film?!?

For more, you know you want to click [urlnp=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_Enigma]Here[/urlnp] ;-)

Yep. Ridiculous film. Nice one Bingo.

Back to topic I would've thought our end of season scenario made it clear why you need 3 keepers. One gets injured and you have no sub keeper. You end up with things like an injured Gordon Banks on the bench, and Peter Bonetti on the field . Arghhhh!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 pm

oh i forgot.. 23 is a masonic code...

surprise.. surprise! relating to money..!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:32 am

brite blu sky wrote:oh i forgot.. 23 is a masonic code...

surprise.. surprise! relating to money..!

That's it then. The most logical explanation !!
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:51 am

john@staustell wrote:

Back to topic I would've thought our end of season scenario made it clear why you need 3 keepers. One gets injured and you have no sub keeper. You end up with things like an injured Gordon Banks on the bench, and Peter Bonetti on the field . Arghhhh!

Cheeky bastard, Bingo's a good looking lad I'll have you know ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Cheeky bastard, Bingo's a good looking lad I'll have you know ;-)

you tell him mate!
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Return to The Maine Football forum