Palace saved from extinction

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Palace saved from extinction

Postby btajim » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:13 pm

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6184176,00.html

It's been a pleasant surprise that no Club out of the 92 Football League ones have gone the same way as Woolworths during the recession - and now Palace's Fans have saved their Club with a last minute agreement. It wasn't such good news for Chester and Halifax, though.

Pleased for Palace.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Re: Palace saved from extinction

Postby everyonehatesus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:18 pm

thats great news for them, they were one of the great smaller clubs up in the top division when i was growing up.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:28 pm

btajim wrote:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6184176,00.html

It's been a pleasant surprise that no Club out of the 92 Football League ones have gone the same way as Woolworths during the recession - and now Palace's Fans have saved their Club with a last minute agreement. It wasn't such good news for Chester and Halifax, though.

Pleased for Palace.

here here James...and of course we have the link of Malcolm Allison
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby craigmcfc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Pleased for them as it's looked very bleak these last few days. Always remember Terry Venables being there and Wright and Bright too, here's to a stable future
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm

btajim wrote:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6184176,00.html

Pleased for Palace.

I'm pleased for their fans, but I have to ask, why the fuck do banks keep lending money to football clubs. Sooner or later, they know that they wont be getting it back, as pretty much every club outside of the PL seems to have been in administration at one time or another over the last decade.

Its starting to get on my nerves now how the new owner picks up a bargain, and we the taxpayer get saddled with finding the unpaid tax /taxpayer funded bank losses etc. If it were a small business you or I ran, HMRC and the banks would shut us down, no messing about, and personally I think one high profile club needs making an example of.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby btajim » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:44 pm

johnpb78 wrote:I'm pleased for their fans, but I have to ask, why the fuck do banks keep lending money to football clubs. Sooner or later, they know that they wont be getting it back, as pretty much every club outside of the PL seems to have been in administration at one time or another over the last decade.

Its starting to get on my nerves now how the new owner picks up a bargain, and we the taxpayer get saddled with finding the unpaid tax /taxpayer funded bank losses etc. If it were a small business you or I ran, HMRC and the banks would shut us down, no messing about, and personally I think one high profile club needs making an example of.

Simon "Tanning Salon" Jordan blamed City Hedge Funds for ruining Palace. I don't know too many Eagle's who think highly of him, mind.

My tuppenceworth is that Fans of a Football Club have more passion and drive to save the Business they support (CPFC 2010 is headed by two Fans) wheras Darren Giro goes to Wilkinsons for his Pick'n'Mix when Woolworths shuts it's doors for the last time.

The Banks lent to everyone they could. Computer Says Yes? Computer Says No?
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:48 pm

johnpb78 wrote:I think one high profile club needs making an example of.

i think we could put our heads together and come up with a suitable candidate.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:09 pm

btajim wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:I'm pleased for their fans, but I have to ask, why the fuck do banks keep lending money to football clubs. Sooner or later, they know that they wont be getting it back, as pretty much every club outside of the PL seems to have been in administration at one time or another over the last decade.

Simon "Tanning Salon" Jordan blamed City Hedge Funds for ruining Palace. I don't know too many Eagle's who think highly of him, mind.

My tuppenceworth is that Fans of a Football Club have more passion and drive to save the Business they support (CPFC 2010 is headed by two Fans) wheras Darren Giro goes to Wilkinsons for his Pick'n'Mix when Woolworths shuts it's doors for the last time.

The Banks lent to everyone they could. Computer Says Yes? Computer Says No?

Watching SSN before and listening to a couple of Palace fans saying that CPFC2010 are fans the same as them, just made me feel uneasy. It always makes me think back to Franny - a man who absolutely had the best intentions, but just couldnt cut it as the gaffer and ended up presiding over a decline that could easily have put us out of business aside from a last gasp equalizer at Wembley, arguably just so we could build a big shiny new stand.

I dont like fans or anyone with an affinity to the club being in charge. Like it or loathe it, you need businessmen in charge who can take the tough calls, and with all the best will in the world when it comes to the sort of money football clubs deal in these days, emotion shouldnt come into it.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Give Goldberg another crack
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby gillie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Well SJ lost a huge amount on Palace so their fans cant cry really i think he stated he was 35million into Palace so if he did not want success fuck knows who will.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby btajim » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 am

johnpb78 wrote:Watching SSN before and listening to a couple of Palace fans saying that CPFC2010 are fans the same as them, just made me feel uneasy. It always makes me think back to Franny - a man who absolutely had the best intentions, but just couldnt cut it as the gaffer and ended up presiding over a decline that could easily have put us out of business aside from a last gasp equalizer at Wembley, arguably just so we could build a big shiny new stand.

I dont like fans or anyone with an affinity to the club being in charge. Like it or loathe it, you need businessmen in charge who can take the tough calls, and with all the best will in the world when it comes to the sort of money football clubs deal in these days, emotion shouldnt come into it.

I'm presuming the Fans saved the Club because no-one else was willing to rise to the challenge. Fans have blind love. Buying a Football Club nowadays is not a sensible business idea given how badly some of them have been run over the years. Southampton spring to mind. They built that lovely new Ground then sold their best Players to help pay for it.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Mrs Given » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:10 am

I am pleased that they have not gone out of business, one of my favourite away games ever was at Palace. The week before they played the rags in the FA cup final, it was a lovely sunny day. After the game everyone went on the pitch and all the blues were wishing their fans luck.
Mrs Given
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:46 am

Mrs Given wrote:I am pleased that they have not gone out of business, one of my favourite away games ever was at Palace. The week before they played the rags in the FA cup final, it was a lovely sunny day. After the game everyone went on the pitch and all the blues were wishing their fans luck.

When we were in the Championship I was supposed to meet some mates in Whitefield for a lift down, but got horrendously pissed the night before and missed my lift. I had just bought an old Sierra and thought fuck it, i'll risk it. Got all the way down to East Croydon and ran into the worst traffic jam i've ever seen coming off the M25. Broke down in the traffic jam, pushed the car to the hard shoulder took everything out of the car that could identify me and set off walking the 6/7 miles to the ground.

Got there just before half time, even though I think kick off had been delayed .

And we fucking lost.

On the way back when I had found my lift home, my car was still there. So I jumped out had a fiddle with the spark plugs, and bingo - it started, happy days.

Just one of them days I suppose, but the worst thing was, the long walk to the ground kicked off my first ever bout of gout the day after, and I have been almost crippled by it ever since. The things you do for city eh.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Blueishgreen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 am

Good to hear. I can't imagine how that situation must feel to fans.
Blueishgreen
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby btajim » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:11 pm

I was at Palace for the Carling Cup Clash last season and the financial problems were fairly evident. The Stand we were put in was rickety with knackered, wooden seats to sit in. The Toilets were an absolute mess and the Catering Bars were selling warm Beer as the Fridge had packed in.

One of the more enjoyable Awaydays though. Just a good night.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Return to The Maine Football forum