Scum MUST sell players to pay debts

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Scum MUST sell players to pay debts

Postby SORTED » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:48 pm

what a shame :-D

From The Guardian

Manchester United posted a £66.5m loss in the first nine months of their fiscal yearas financing costs and one-time items more than offset increasing media, matchday and commercial revenues.

The accounts of Red Football Ltd, United's holding company, released today, show a £40.6m one-off charge linked to closing down an interest rate swap – or protection that companies buy against interest rate increases – that the firm had to pay when it swapped its loan debt with a bond earlier this year. The company posted a £19m non-cash foreign exchange loss due to the increase in the US dollar against sterling, which makes the bonds that United issued in dollars more expensive. The remaining £7m contained other costs including those related to debt issue.

United posted a £9.3m profit on the disposal of players that was far behind last year, when they sold Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for £80m."The loss shows that the business model doesn't work unless there are player sales," said Philip Long, partner at PKF accountants and business advisers, who has worked on football deals. "It's an absolute mess – when the full-year interest is accounted in and there are no items like last year's sale of Ronaldo, what's going to happen?"

Rising player salaries pushed staff costs up by 7% to £94.5m, from £87.9m, in line with the company's revenue, Manchester United said. The club face rising interest on £225m of payment-in-kind (PIK) loans, incurred in 2005 when the Glazer family bought the club. The PIK interest payments to investors, including hedge funds, are due to increase to 16.25% from 14.25% in August because of the firm's high debts. Apart from the PIK loans, United also have £520.9m of debt but the accounts showed that a £70m facility available to pay down PIK debt has not been used.

The bonds, sold in February at about 98 pence to the pound, trade between 93p and 94p, putting investors at a loss. "All the high-yield market is down," a person familiar with the bond issue said. "And it's a football deal, which doesn't fit into some asset managers' investment strategies."

Bondholders were cheered by boosting media revenue, to £76.8m, which helped lift earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation to £82.1m, up from £63.4m over the same period last year, the company said.

During a conference call, management warned investors that four-quarter growth may be lower because of fewer Premier League games to be played during the period – due to a calendar issue – and the team's elimination from the 2009-10 Champions League in the quarter-finals, having reached the semi-finals in the two previous years.

The company, which said it has £95.9m in cash reserves, is trying to push up advance ticket sales, warning fans that their season tickets will be passed on unless they make a payment. A club email to executive members seen by the Guardian said: "If you do not renew your Old Trafford executive facility for the forthcoming 2010-11 season before the renewal deadline of 31 May, your facility will automatically be released to the seasonal hospitality waiting list." The email said this is now a "matter of urgency".

The club reiterated that United are not for sale. "The board notes recent press speculation regarding a possible bid for Manchester United," the club said. "The owners remain fully committed to their long-term ownership of the club. Manchester United is not for sale and the owners will not entertain any offers."

The Glazer family are keen to hold on to their investment, despite their unpopularity among the fans, who blame them for loading the club with debt and turning it into a commercial venture. The owners, however, do not want to capitalise their investment until revenue-boosting new technology develops, allowing access to live games and more content through mobile phones, a person familiar with the situation has told the Guardian.

The Red Knights, a group of more than 10 wealthy investors led by the Goldman Sachs chief economist Jim O'Neill, declined to say whether their planned offer was still being prepared.
Last edited by SORTED on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Scum MUST sell players to pay debts

Postby Vhero » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Hope Real do put in that lovely bid for Rooney :)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby dario2739 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Haha, great news - where's it from?
dario2739
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Wooders » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Vidic please
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Vhero wrote:Hope Real do put in that lovely bid for Rooney :)

as i see it[ might be wrong] but if u@d dont sell rooney this year or next year, with there losses wont they not be able to play in champs league. JOBS A GOOD UN
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Vhero » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:35 pm

CITYSTEVEDON wrote:
Vhero wrote:Hope Real do put in that lovely bid for Rooney :)

as i see it[ might be wrong] but if u@d dont sell rooney this year or next year, with there losses wont they not be able to play in champs league. JOBS A GOOD UN

Something like that if this is right.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Slim » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Oh please, they will never miss out should they qualify. UEFA wouldn't stand for the loss in income of not having them in the champions league.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Vhero » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Slim wrote:Oh please, they will never miss out should they qualify. UEFA wouldn't stand for the loss in income of not having them in the champions league.

Indeed but them faulting in the rules will be great for us as they will have to change the rules to let them in and jobs a good 'un
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Nah, rule-bending only applies to:

a) any French club

b) any Italian club formerly associated with Platini

Just off to Scum TEAMTALK site to get their latest reaction and have a laugh, at this time of low entertainment!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Unfortunately this article doesn't actually seem to exist.

Is it a SORTED wind-up?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby ashton287 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Vhero wrote:
Slim wrote:Oh please, they will never miss out should they qualify. UEFA wouldn't stand for the loss in income of not having them in the champions league.

Indeed but them faulting in the rules will be great for us as they will have to change the rules to let them in and jobs a good 'un

this would be fucking hilarious to see, that french tart stuttering an explenation out.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 pm

john@staustell wrote:Unfortunately this article doesn't actually seem to exist.

Is it a SORTED wind-up?

The article exisits. The filter on this forum sometimes will mess up links that are posted. Here it is www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/28/man chester-uni ted-sell-players-debts

You will need to cut and paste the linke and take the space out.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Is it a SORTED wind-up?

It does, I read it on Guardian Online over the weekend
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby craigmcfc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Is it just me or does the writing in red hurt anyone elses eyes ?! Maybe it's just been a long day on the Pc at work
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:57 pm

craigmcfc wrote:Is it just me or does the writing in red hurt anyone elses eyes ?! Maybe it's just been a long day on the Pc at work

Mine too - had me squinting
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby SORTED » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 am

Is it a SORTED wind-up?

It's the daft fuckin 'UNIT£D' filter on this site mate that puts in asterisks thus : UNITED

Mods maybe it's time you removed the silly filter you set up?
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 am

SORTED wrote:

Is it a SORTED wind-up?

It's the daft fuckin 'UNIT£D' filter on this site mate that puts in asterisks thus : U***d

Mods maybe it's time you removed the silly filter you set up?

Got it at last.

I agree with your comments on that silly filter. We always call them SCUM or RAGs or something anyway, so the filter only takes out things like in 'United Biscuits' - oops there it goes again
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Return to The Maine Football forum