which 7 wont go to the World cup?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: which 7 wont go to the World cup?

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Emile William Ivanhoe Heskey, 7 goals in 58 games for England. Going to World Cup. Explain that to me.

was totally aginst him going until i found out his middle name is Ivanhoe.

first name on the teamsheet now.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:20 pm

dissapointed for aj on a personal basis but hopefully 2 weeks with England's best (and heskey) should have taught him something and a summer break will be good for him. Needs to improve his stamina for next season and he can look forward to Euro 2012 and, hopefully, a world cup in england in 2018
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CityGer » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Feel a bit for AJ but I can understand him omission. I just wonder whether his fitness/stamina was an issue.

What I can't understand is the inclusion of Upson and Carrick - Madness. Both are in shocking form and aren't exactly world beaters when on song.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby edge275 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:13 pm

I think it's a really poor choice of players.

SWP over Johnson is stupid. Johnson is a much better player, in much better form and can play both right wing and left wing better than SWP whilst SWP is typically a right winger and that's it. All SWP has over AJ is experience.

Bent over Heskey is an atrocious decision. Heskey scored 3 league goals in 31 matches last season, a 1 in 10 strike rate whilst Darren Bent scored 24 goals for fucking Sunderland! Seriously, what more does Bent have to do? If I was him I'd be furious that buffoon Heskey has been chosen ahead of me.

Carrick has been absolutely shite the last season just gone yet is chosen ahead of the excellent Parker. This choice seems to be the same old bullshit of choosing players who play for the top clubs regardless of how they've performed and regardless of how players in lesser clubs perform. Reminds me of SWP having to break his balls to get in the England squad when for us he was sensational then goes to Chelsea and doesn't get a look in there yet is a shoe in for the England team every time.

Upson is another farce of a choice. He has been distinctly average for West Ham (some people may say that's being kind) yet is chosen ahead of Dawson who was simply fantastic for Tottenham last season.

Carragher is another who was terrible last season. His best days are well behind him. I would choose Lescott over Carragher every time.

You should hang your head in shame Fabio.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Grob wrote:Today just proved that Capello had pretty much picked his squad long before the last 2 'make or break' matches. I dont blame him for picking players who have done the job for him before. Its a shame he didnt take AJ just for a bit of something different but hey ho.

Baines and Huddlestone were out of their depth, Walcott too much of a gamble, Parker/Dawson/Jonno didnt get a look in, Bent was scoreless again against Japan.

I trust Capello

i don't. he will get ripped apart by a team that has anyone with some creativity. AJ's omission is a mistake, and SWPs inclusion is one as well. Carrick is a joker. Parker should be in the squad as well.

i think he's losing it at the 11th hour because he thinks his shit doesn't stink. he might find out otherwise when a ball gets kicked in anger in about 10 days or so...

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:26 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Grob wrote:Today just proved that Capello had pretty much picked his squad long before the last 2 'make or break' matches. I dont blame him for picking players who have done the job for him before. Its a shame he didnt take AJ just for a bit of something different but hey ho.

Baines and Huddlestone were out of their depth, Walcott too much of a gamble, Parker/Dawson/Jonno didnt get a look in, Bent was scoreless again against Japan.

I trust Capello

i don't. he will get ripped apart by a team that has anyone with some creativity. AJ's omission is a mistake, and SWPs inclusion is one as well. Carrick is a joker. Parker should be in the squad as well.

i think he's losing it at the 11th hour because he thinks his shit doesn't stink. he might find out otherwise when a ball gets kicked in anger in about 10 days or so...

cheers

Got to agree mate. We have a squad that is going to have a headless chicken on the right (perm 1 from 2), Joe Cole on the left who is made of glass, and Rooney who becomes made of glass as soon as England reach the knockout stages of a tournament. Injury to J Cole or Rooney and England can forget it as we have found to our cost in the previous 2 tournaments.

Capello has gone back on his word - would only pick players in form - Heskey? Upson? Carrick? SWP?

Emile fucking Heskey makes my blood boil, and yes, I already blame him for us not winning the world cup. To put his goalscoring record into perspective.
Rene Higuita - GK - 68 caps, 8 goals
Jose Luis Chilavert - GK - 74 caps, 8 goals
Emile Heskey - FWD - 58 caps, 7 goals
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:39 pm

I really thought that AJ will make it but can understand why he did not. Some of Capello's other choices are rather strange to say the least (Carrick over Parker, Upson).
However I don’t understand how some here can begrudge SWP being picked. I predicted that he will be yesterday based on his experience and his overall performance for England and the goals he has scored. He narrowly missed out in 2006 and I’m very glad that he made it this time which was his last chance. I predict that he will make us Mancity fans proud with his performance in South Africa.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:I really thought that AJ will make it but can understand why he did not. Some of Capello's other choices are rather strange to say the least (Carrick over Parker, Upson).
However I don’t understand how some here can begrudge SWP being picked. I predicted that he will be yesterday based on his experience and his overall performance for England and the goals he has scored. He narrowly missed out in 2006 and I’m very glad that he made it this time which was his last chance. I predict that he will make us Mancity fans proud with his performance in South Africa.

i hope you are right about SWP, but as a City fan you've seen Jinky giving us boners for the last 6 months while SWP has had his tiny little ass glued to the subs bench, right?

just checking.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:04 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:I really thought that AJ will make it but can understand why he did not. Some of Capello's other choices are rather strange to say the least (Carrick over Parker, Upson).

i hope you are right about SWP, but as a City fan you've seen Jinky giving us boners for the last 6 months while SWP has had his tiny little ass glued to the subs bench, right?

just checking.

cheers

I don't disagree with you on AJ mate and I would have loved to see him in the squad along with SWP. But my point was that I am happy for Shaunie to have been picked.
Off topic and you should know, what ever happend to Boy Wonder Freddy Adu. He was supposed to be the next big thing in World Football before anybody had heard of Messi and others. What happened to this kid.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Apparently on loan in Greece (from Benfica) - this is from that font of all knowledge known as 'wikipedia' though, so believe it at your own risk.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby ryanmjo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah, Freddy has had some trouble as of late. He's not very intelligent (in the football sense) it seems, and he's gotten into a few disagreements with coaches as well. One in Portugal described his attitude as "party every night". I don't think starting out with MLS at age 14 was the best move for him, a lot of responsibility for his failure to improve lies on his shoulders to be sure, but I think coaching has failed him along the way as well.

Still though, he's only 20 years old, and still has time to turn things around I guess. Hope he does.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:39 pm

ryanmjo wrote:Yeah, Freddy has had some trouble as of late. He's not very intelligent (in the football sense) it seems, and he's gotten into a few disagreements with coaches as well. One in Portugal described his attitude as "party every night". I don't think starting out with MLS at age 14 was the best move for him, a lot of responsibility for his failure to improve lies on his shoulders to be sure, but I think coaching has failed him along the way as well.

Still though, he's only 20 years old, and still has time to turn things around I guess. Hope he does.

Thanks mate and also Dameerto. Glad to hear that at least he is still playing. Thought he'd given it up completely.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Crossie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Bias, but AJ should in there instead of SWP, however we have 3 City players going to a world cup, when did that last happen?

Just a shame there no one there who could spring a suprise, we know that squad inside out.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

just checking.

cheers

I don't disagree with you on AJ mate and I would have loved to see him in the squad along with SWP. But my point was that I am happy for Shaunie to have been picked.
Off topic and you should know, what ever happend to Boy Wonder Freddy Adu. He was supposed to be the next big thing in World Football before anybody had heard of Messi and others. What happened to this kid.

Freddy Adu is a total joke. i think he's about 30 years old too. Typical.

cheers

p.s. here's a nice article to satiate your curiousity...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:08 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

just checking.

cheers

cheers

Thanks Doomy. A very good (and satiating) article, but I especially liked the "bonus feature": Athletes in Swimsuits ! I recommend it to others.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:04 pm

All this tweeting or whatever it is revealing the squad before it was revealed isn't classy. Its messy, but having realised that at some point the FA had their greasy little mits over it, I'm not surprised. Sorry Fabio, our press are cunts but if if pains you after earning whatever million a year just to do ONE press confrerence to announce the squad before any other cunt does then please do so. Let the FA earn their money by insisting no questions will be taken. Is that too much to ask?

As for the squad, pleased the mirage that is Walcott has been dealt with, delighted for Shauny, would have taken AJ over him but I wont push it. Upson and Carrick are passengers but every England squad has them. Its called lack of quality.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:24 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

Hypercorrection - a well-known phenomenon.

If you are going to try and be English, you need to get it right. ;)

Cheers.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:26 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

Hypercorrection - a well-known phenomenon.

If you are going to try and be English, you need to get it right. ;)

Cheers.

So sayeth Yoko.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:51 am

Crossie wrote:Bias, but AJ should in there instead of SWP, however we have 3 City players going to a world cup, when did that last happen?

Just a shame there no one there who could spring a suprise, we know that squad inside out.

+ RSC and Weiss. That makes it six!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:23 am

mr_nool wrote:
Crossie wrote:Bias, but AJ should in there instead of SWP, however we have 3 City players going to a world cup, when did that last happen?

+ RSC and Weiss. That makes it six!

Think he means for England.

Hart
Barry
swp
robinho
tevez
weiss
rsc
nige

is that everyone going then?
Tracking back is overrated.