U17 Euro Final England v Spain

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

U17 Euro Final England v Spain

Postby brite blu sky » Sun May 30, 2010 2:59 pm

16.30 UK time ( i think ) 17.30 CET

unfortunately we dont have any players in the squad.. but nevertherless a chance to see some up and coming talent on the big stage.

there are some rivers available in the usual places
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: U17 Euro Final England v Spain

Postby brite blu sky » Sun May 30, 2010 4:16 pm

1-1 half time

og. for spains
then Eng livened up a bit got one back 8 mins later. Andre Wisdom ( Liverpool ) the scorer.
Eng goalie look good, well confident.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby brite blu sky » Sun May 30, 2010 5:22 pm

crackng game that was.. level of football was well worthy of any final.

Spain are a pure quality as you would expect.. but England were a class act 2-1 in the end but Engalnd should have had 4.

We are probs gonna see more of this lot.. first English European champions of any age since 93.. first ever U17's

The last lot to win anything were the 1993 U19's. Including Sol Cambell, Paul Scholes, Chuckle1 and Robbie Fowler.. amongst others.

That was a disciplined and classy performance against arguably easily the best side in Europe. Spain kids are the same the fookin big team.. can pass it about like a dream and have one or two dangerous players to run and skip defenders. They met their match today though.. England coming across as the better team in the end, twice with only the keeper to beat the lads hit it straight at him. Really should have had one of them and be 3-1 up.
Spain went all out to get an equaliser but the English lads held superbly, not least the goalkeeper..incidently who is at Brum.. and showed the characteristic confidence of our Joe.. wonder if that has rubbed off while he was there.
As i say England should have got another as they still took the game to Spain right to the end.

Apart form the first 10mins or so it never looked like U17's, thats how top class a game it was.
I wonder if the press will bother to pick up on this..

The whole spanish first team went out to watch apparently.. heres a report
http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u17s/News/match-centre/2010/EnglandvSpain/Report
Last edited by brite blu sky on Sun May 30, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby zuricity » Sun May 30, 2010 5:26 pm

England won it , it was 2-1 when I looked in, but I've just seen them being presented with the trophy.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby brite blu sky » Sun May 30, 2010 6:17 pm

brite blu sky wrote:crackng game that was.. level of football was well worthy of any final.

Spain are a pure quality as you would expect.. but England were a class act 2-1 in the end but Engalnd should have had 4.

We are probs gonna see more of this lot.. first English European champions of any age since 93.. first ever U17's

The last lot to win anything were the 1993 U19's. Including Sol Cambell, Paul Scholes, Chuckle1 and Robbie Fowler.. amongst others.

That was a disciplined and classy performance against arguably easily the best side in Europe. Spain kids are the same the fookin big team.. can pass it about like a dream and have one or two dangerous players to run and skip defenders. They met their match today though.. England coming across as the better team in the end, twice with only the keeper to beat the lads hit it straight at him. Really should have had one of them and be 3-1 up.
Spain went all out to get an equaliser but the English lads held superbly, not least the goalkeeper..incidently who is at Brum.. and showed the characteristic confidence of our Joe.. wonder if that has rubbed off while he was there.
As i say England should have got another as they still took the game to Spain right to the end.

Apart form the first 10mins or so it never looked like U17's, thats how top class a game it was.
I wonder if the press will bother to pick up on this..

The whole spanish first team went out to watch apparently.. heres a report
http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u17s/News/match-centre/2010/EnglandvSpain/Report
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 am

Have to say that I was really impressed with England side as whole. Ten years back, overall skill level with English lads at this level were considerably lower.

As always though U17 is poor indicator of anything. One or two might make it to full England squad if they are lucky. 5 to 10 will make it in professional football. And rest of them end up sliding out of the game. So many things can, and will, happen for them in the future. One of the biggest factors being physical growth. Some of the more talented lads haven't had full growth yet and therefore are blow radar of national team coaches. Some of the bigger lads make it into squad because they stand out in games because of their physical attributes rather than actual talent. Ages 15 to 17 are actually hardest to judge when it comes to player talent.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon May 31, 2010 5:53 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:.

As always though U17 is poor indicator of anything.

Correct. Didnt Ireland win the Under 17s world Championship wth Flood McCarthy Ireland and one other City player. They havent made a major tournament since. Only Ireland from that side has made any impact. Scotland got to the U19's final a few years back and non of them are currently in a very poor Scotland side. I remember a very long time ago the Scotland U16 losing the in the U16's World Cup final. The only player who went on to make a very good living for himself out of football was non other than Paul Dickov.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Mon May 31, 2010 6:16 am

ross.mcfc wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:.

As always though U17 is poor indicator of anything.

Correct. Didnt Ireland win the Under 17s world Championship wth Flood McCarthy Ireland and one other City player. They havent made a major tournament since. Only Ireland from that side has made any impact. Scotland got to the U19's final a few years back and non of them are currently in a very poor Scotland side. I remember a very long time ago the Scotland U16 losing the in the U16's World Cup final. The only player who went on to make a very good living for himself out of football was non other than Paul Dickov.

Stephen Elliott?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Curlie » Mon May 31, 2010 8:18 am

I take it no City kids featured?
City are coming to get you!
Curlie
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Nige

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 31, 2010 8:34 am

Curlie wrote:I take it no City kids featured?

Nope.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 31, 2010 3:21 pm

Gerard (one of the two scorers) is the young lad that's just beaten Rooney's youth record for goals in a season, isn't it?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby brite blu sky » Mon May 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Dameerto wrote:Gerard (one of the two scorers) is the young lad that's just beaten Rooney's youth record for goals in a season, isn't it?

Not sure about that.. Gerard is definitely head and shoulders above the rest of his peers in the Spain squad. Looks very tricky and well handy plus putting the effort in.

As someone pointed out U17 dont mean a thing as to who will develop and go on.. but then obviously some do and i wouldn't think a bet on that Gerard lad would be out of place.

By the way Gerard's goal for Spain was deflected in. was a sharp shot but i think Butland the Eng keeper would have had it if it hadn't been deflected.

I hope our academy scouts were at the final watching as there were some players worth taking note of.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 31, 2010 4:34 pm

I was thinking of someone else - a young kid called Gerard Garner
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby brite blu sky » Mon May 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Gerard plays for Spain.

the lad your on about wasn't even in the Eng squad.. maybe he isn't english. He is with Scouce1 apparently.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 31, 2010 6:34 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Gerard plays for Spain.

the lad your on about wasn't even in the Eng squad.. maybe he isn't english. He is with Scouce1 apparently.

That's why i was saying I was thinking of someone else - I had heard the Gerard bit previously but it was the young English kid's first name rather than surname.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Return to The Maine Football forum