***Official Japan v England Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Official Japan v England Thread***

Postby Dameerto » Sun May 30, 2010 4:18 pm

The two friendlies have featured two half-teams though - it's pointless dooming them on their two most recent perfomances until we see something close to an actual eleven that can be expected to play together in South Africa - and in a formation that isn't a late minute experiment.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby bluej » Sun May 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Dameerto wrote:The two friendlies have featured two half-teams though - it's pointless dooming them on their two most recent perfomances until we see something close to an actual eleven that can be expected to play together in South Africa - and in a formation that isn't a late minute experiment.

Yeah, good point well made. At least Capello is experimenting with some alternative plans for when we're out there.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby HeyMark » Sun May 30, 2010 4:48 pm

razor400 wrote:
HeyMark wrote:England are so shit, no chance of winning the world cup if they play like this. They'll come up against a decent passing team who can keep position and will get slaughtered

What like Mexico? erm

More like a Spain, Brazil, Holland
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby brite blu sky » Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm

bluej wrote:
Dameerto wrote:The two friendlies have featured two half-teams though - it's pointless dooming them on their two most recent perfomances until we see something close to an actual eleven that can be expected to play together in South Africa - and in a formation that isn't a late minute experiment.

Yeah, good point well made. At least Capello is experimenting with some alternative plans for when we're out there.

im not sure i really buy that.. or should i say this experimenting to find out which peripheral players should go.
I rekon that some serious practice games with the first 11 would be more beneficial.. IF England actually had 11 clear first choice players. Therein lies the problem, the so called first 11 are who exactly?
There are a lot of the current squad who dont perform.. first 11 or not.
In an ideal world you would look to some consistency.. and develop at the side of it.. something smacks of not right if you are experimenting to see how wildly different combinations work or not at this stage. The best spin i can think of is that in the spirit of openess etc, Capello has given opportunities to most of the players that were on form towards the end of the season or are established England squad anyway, to show something. But i cant for the life of me believe that spin, because surely the way to suss players out is slotting them into system you want to play one or two at a time.

We know that capello prefers a 4-4-2, so the problems appear to be that apart from Rooney England dont have a consistent first choice striker. Both wings are unclaimed in the sense that anyone is any good.. Lennon perhaps.. Joe Cole many would say.. truth is there is no-one consistently taking those positions = dont have anyone really cutting it at this level.
i Still have no idea what Lampard actually does in matches for England, apart from the penalties and too many free kicks.
Barry is sorely missed, even though he like many others has had a subdued season at club level.

Capello has said he knows his 23, but i dont believe it for a minute.. hardly anyone in that squad is on form..
AJ perhaps the only one if the reports coming out of training are to be believed. Gerard showed some spirit.

He has been looking to see if anyone on form other than the regulars had it in them to show themselves capable of making a difference at this level. The conclusion must be they cant.. so it seems he must rely on the regulars none of whom seem like they are any where near on form.

That said they will probably go on to win the WC.
my money is still on Argentina though.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun May 30, 2010 7:54 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
bluej wrote:

im not sure i really buy that.. or should i say this experimenting to find out which peripheral players should go.
I rekon that some serious practice games with the first 11 would be more beneficial.. IF England actually had 11 clear first choice players. Therein lies the problem, the so called first 11 are who exactly?
In an ideal world you would look to some consistency.. and develop at the side of it.. something smacks of not right if you are experimenting to see how wildly different combinations work or not at this stage. The best spin i can think of is that in the spirit of openess etc, Capello has given opportunities to most of the players that were on form towards the end of the season or are established England squad anyway, to show something. But i cant for the life of me believe that spin, because surely the way to suss players out is slotting them into system you want to play one or two at a time.

We know that capello prefers a 4-4-2, so the problems appear to be that apart from Rooney England dont have a consistent first choice striker. Both wings are unclaimed in the sense that anyone is any good.. Lennon perhaps.. Joe Cole many would say.. truth is there is no-one consistently taking those positions = dont have anyone really cutting it at this level.
i Still have no idea what Lampard actually does in matches for England, apart from the penalties and too many free kicks.
Barry is sorely missed, even though he like many others has had a subdued season at club level.

Capello has said he knows his 23, but i dont believe it for a minute.. hardly anyone in that squad is on form..
AJ perhaps the only one if the reports coming out of training are to be believed. Gerard showed some spirit.

He has been looking to see if anyone on form other than the regulars had it in them to show themselves capable of making a difference at this level. The conclusion must be they cant.. so it seems he must rely on the regulars none of whom seem like they are any where near on form.

the problem is simply that Capello has no formation he likes without Barry in the lineup.

Shows you how seriously fragile this golden generation is tbh. I would have thought Scott Parker would have got a run if he truly thought Barry might not be back. Don Fabio is clearly banking on Barry being fit...or else he's fucked. imho.

i don't think AJ is on the plane. It'll be Cole based on today's match from what i saw. Also, SWP will be on hols immediatefuclingly, as he's kinda been for the last 6 months...nothing really new there. Hart may get the nod to start i think.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby gillie » Sun May 30, 2010 9:42 pm

One thing we do know is he will take all 3 keepers so he has to find 20 out of 27.Imo the definates are.
Rooney.
Wio.
Fat Frank.
Stevie G.
Twat Terry.
Cashley.
G.Johnson.
Gaz Baz(if fit).
Walcott.
Stickman Crouch.
Defoe.
Ledley no knees.
Then he has to pick 8 out of 15 and i ain't got a clue on those so it's anyone's guess.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby citytilidie » Sun May 30, 2010 10:57 pm

I fancied AJ to make the plane however after today, it will be J. Cole instead.

SWP won't make it.

Gutting really, only 2 (if barry fit) city players in the squad... and people wonder why i find it hard to support england
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't.
citytilidie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Dameerto » Sun May 30, 2010 11:00 pm

brite blu sky wrote:

The experimentation was to find a formation suitable for counter attacking with pace - but our players haven't showed they are comfortable with anything other than a 4-4-2, he has basically had to abandon both experiments at halftime in the two friendlies. There were only a small number of players he was unsure of, in the match against Mexico he obviously couldn't field the Chelsea players or James from Portsmouth even if he had wanted to, because it was too soon after the Cup final.
Last edited by Dameerto on Sun May 30, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby gillie » Sun May 30, 2010 11:02 pm

citytilidie wrote:I fancied AJ to make the plane however after today, it will be J. Cole instead.

SWP won't make it.

Gutting really, only 2 (if barry fit) city players in the squad... and people wonder why i find it hard to support england

Mate who else from City do you think have played well enough all season to warrant a place in the 30? And Shauny imo is a lucky boy to be in that 30 never mind having a chance to be on the plane.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby halnone » Sun May 30, 2010 11:06 pm

can't wait till the world cup now. i think usa has a chance against england. the US know how to show up for big games, like beating a full spain side 2-0 last summer. the England team was shit today imo.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby gillie » Sun May 30, 2010 11:17 pm

We have more players in the 30 man squad than the Scum,Arse,Villa,Scouse1 and the same as the champions only Spuds have more than us.So this bollox about not supporting England coz there are no City players is just that Bollox.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon May 31, 2010 12:53 am

gillie wrote:We have more players in the 30 man squad than the Scum,Arse,Villa,Scouse1 and the same as the champions only Spuds have more than us.So this bollox about not supporting England coz there are no City players is just that Bollox.

I dont understand this mentality either.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Slim » Mon May 31, 2010 2:34 am

I gotta be thinking AJ is on the plane, this was essentially the last chance saloon for players not on the plane and he didn't even make the pitch. Gets the chop given 6 minutes on the pitch last game and no time at all this one. We need four wingers and Lennon, Cole, AJ and fucking 'waste of a good seat' Walcott will probably get the nod.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon May 31, 2010 5:55 am

Slim wrote:
You better hope we don't turn up, cause that's the only way you're getting anything from the game.

All this You and We talk means you cant switch sides when one of them goes out like you normally do. Pick a team and stick with it Jocko.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 am

Slim wrote:I gotta be thinking AJ is on the plane, this was essentially the last chance saloon for players not on the plane and he didn't even make the pitch. Gets the chop given 6 minutes on the pitch last game and no time at all this one. We need four wingers and Lennon, Cole, AJ and fucking 'waste of a good seat' Walcott will probably get the nod.

I also think that AJ is safe and Cap is already convinced about him, otherwise he would have given him a chance yesterday.
Don't know about Shaunie, but he might still have a chance as Cap prefers experience to youth (Becks, Heskey are good examples) and Shaunie has always performed for England even playing on the left.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby john@staustell » Mon May 31, 2010 9:41 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Slim wrote:I gotta be thinking AJ is on the plane, this was essentially the last chance saloon for players not on the plane and he didn't even make the pitch. Gets the chop given 6 minutes on the pitch last game and no time at all this one. We need four wingers and Lennon, Cole, AJ and fucking 'waste of a good seat' Walcott will probably get the nod.

I also think that AJ is safe and Cap is already convinced about him, otherwise he would have given him a chance yesterday.
Don't know about Shaunie, but he might still have a chance as Cap prefers experience to youth (Becks, Heskey are good examples) and Shaunie has always performed for England even playing on the left.

Many 'safe' players were playing yesterday. I reckon AJ was accelerated into the squad for experience but will be told to keep at it and ready himself for next season's England squads. Lennon will be there, Joe Cole will be there, and very sadly I reckon the useless Walcott will be in. 'Still carrying on with his development' as these idiot pundits will be saying until the day he retires! Not sure about SWP.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum