Silva meeting postponed, Cook's Spanish tour

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva meeting postponed, Cook's Spanish tour

Postby gillie » Fri May 28, 2010 11:33 am

brite blu sky wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:None of the leaks about who we are meeting have come from City, hence why the ITKs are full of bull. It's Valencia who announced this and, according to the Guardian report, Wolfsburg who leaked that we'd been discussing Dzeko.

It's in the interest of the selling club to make sure that others know they need to make a move. If we're serious about someone, there's no point in letting anyone know what we're up to.

I'm not convinced that Silva would come to England, let alone to us and there are reports that Mourinho wants him, so this could be Valencia pushing the price up and hurrying Madrid, since Valencia are desperate for cash. The mystery is why we'd arrange to meet Valencia and then put it off? Complete guess, but maybe we're not really interested in Silva, as we don't believe he'd come. However, if Madrid and Valencia think we're interested, it's going to push the price up as we both bid for him. If we agreed to stay away from Silva, maybe Madrid would be more willing to listen to reason on Gago etc and not want the stupid prices they've been quoting. If they stick with the £10m over the top on Gago, we just push Silva's price up by £10m, so they're no better off and they strengthen a direct competitor more than they have to.

Could be conspiracy theory, but I think with all the meetings going on since last summer, we've learned a lot of lessons about how the top transfers happen. We can't compete with Madrid or Barca, as they are the few clubs who most players would want to go to - even the rags couldn't resist over tranny. What we can do is force them to pay really silly prices if they don't play ball. Let them have their top target, as long as they let us have the next one e.g. a Dzeko or one of their players e.g. Gago or Yaya. That drops us into a bracket of competition with the likes of Bayern or AC, and in that company, our financial muscle can really pay off, as they don't have the romantic lure or Real and Barca.

reading between the lines on all the shenanegins, i think since76 has some good points here.
The fact is that while certainly not exclusive, City are one of the key players in the transfer market.. partly becuase like a mortgage chain, we are more akin to buyer who are currently renting and can therefore move straight away without waiting on their own sale.. that together with the level of cash we are talking about makes us one of the clubs who start the whole merry-go-round in motion. In addition you have this pecking order thing, which as since76 points out is likely to be headed up by Madrid ( this season ). So it makes a lot of sense that Cook goes to Madrid first and finds out first hand what their thinking is, and relates ours.. then to the next important buyers and shakers Barca and so on. The whole thing is a kind of complicated game from City's point of view.. but one where other big players who need to sell to buy, need City to spark it all off. Our play i imagine is to get what we want out of that whilst being the catalyst for all the action to happen.
Madrid and what they want may be one plan to pursue. Barca and what they want may be another separate plan we identified to follow.
I can imagine some serious fun and games yet to develop though, but when it all starts it will be fairly hectic i rekon.

i'm going with us following the Madrid thread.. but that is mainly cos i dont want city to go anywhere near Ibra or Yaya.

BBS we may be going to see Barca regarding someone else not Ibra or Yaya.Possibly AI?.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Twobob » Fri May 28, 2010 11:56 am

Beefymcfc wrote:BS76 and BBS, you make some good points, but could it simply be that Madrid got word of our impending meeting (Valencia hoping to push the price up) and requested us to visit them first so they and we didn't get into a bidding war? They offer us players that we need, they don't pay massively for Silva. Eveyones happy, apart from Valencia.

Beefy, I was thinking the same thing, it would be a loose-loose situation if we go toe to toe at the moment with Real on one of thier targets, the player is more likely to go to Real (chumps league, they can still pay decent wages etc), however the price would sky rocket and Real would end up paying way over the odds and we'd loose face. Puts us in a good position if we're in for players from Real the old "sell him to us and we'll keep our distance from Silva" trick ;-)

Of coruse it could just be a load of bollox and GC has just been taking a holiday in Benidorm ...
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri May 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Twobob wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:BS76 and BBS, you make some good points, but could it simply be that Madrid got word of our impending meeting (Valencia hoping to push the price up) and requested us to visit them first so they and we didn't get into a bidding war? They offer us players that we need, they don't pay massively for Silva. Eveyones happy, apart from Valencia.

Beefy, I was thinking the same thing, it would be a loose-loose situation if we go toe to toe at the moment with Real on one of thier targets, the player is more likely to go to Real (chumps league, they can still pay decent wages etc), however the price would sky rocket and Real would end up paying way over the odds and we'd loose face. Puts us in a good position if we're in for players from Real the old "sell him to us and we'll keep our distance from Silva" trick ;-)

Of coruse it could just be a load of bollox and GC has just been taking a holiday in Benidorm ...

I hear he prefers Lloret de Mar..........or was it Tossa?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:28 pm

think that amounts to the same thing, just started by Madrid rather than us. Definitely some smoke and mirrors going on - not one ITK or paper has spotted it, so when Mido turns up holding his City shirt, it will take everyone by surprise.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Twobob » Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Twobob wrote:

Nah - It's definatly Benidorm - Sticky Vicki is thier first stop all the time!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby brite blu sky » Fri May 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:

think that amounts to the same thing, just started by Madrid rather than us. Definitely some smoke and mirrors going on - not one ITK or paper has spotted it, so when Mido turns up holding his City shirt, it will take everyone by surprise.

also think it amounts to the same thing.. basically everyone seeing if they can get what they want without stepping on each others toes or getting into a bidding war where someone will lose face or a lot of money.
There was mention of a gentlemans agreement to respect each other targets a while back.. Real were involved in that.

With Jose going to Real it has kick started everyone into getting busy. Barca and City, Real and City, might have some of the same 1st and 2nd choice targets. The Barca meeting could as gillie suggests be someone else.. although i seriously doubt Iniesta would leave Barca or they would let him. ( if that is in response to Cesc going to Barca im not sure it is valid.. my take on Barc wanting Fabregas is that he has learnt his trade in the Prem and potentially has the benefit of being capable of being more direct when needed - something Barca seriously lack at times, but i dnot think that translates into sacrificing Iniesta or Xavi for that matter).

Next week might be interesting though.. the key for me is who Mourinho intends to go for.. if as reported he is intent on some Prem players, that may put a spanner in the works if the English players wont talk about deals till after the WC. Madrid wont want to be left clutching straws if Jose's Prem targets turn out not to want to go to Real.

But the plot is thickening
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Twobob wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Twobob wrote:

Nah - It's definatly Benidorm - Sticky Vicki is thier first stop all the time!

Pass the Bottle!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BmoreBlue » Fri May 28, 2010 2:03 pm

gillie wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:None of the leaks about who we are meeting have come from City, hence why the ITKs are full of bull. It's Valencia who announced this and, according to the Guardian report, Wolfsburg who leaked that we'd been discussing Dzeko.

It's in the interest of the selling club to make sure that others know they need to make a move. If we're serious about someone, there's no point in letting anyone know what we're up to.

I'm not convinced that Silva would come to England, let alone to us and there are reports that Mourinho wants him, so this could be Valencia pushing the price up and hurrying Madrid, since Valencia are desperate for cash. The mystery is why we'd arrange to meet Valencia and then put it off? Complete guess, but maybe we're not really interested in Silva, as we don't believe he'd come. However, if Madrid and Valencia think we're interested, it's going to push the price up as we both bid for him. If we agreed to stay away from Silva, maybe Madrid would be more willing to listen to reason on Gago etc and not want the stupid prices they've been quoting. If they stick with the £10m over the top on Gago, we just push Silva's price up by £10m, so they're no better off and they strengthen a direct competitor more than they have to.

Could be conspiracy theory, but I think with all the meetings going on since last summer, we've learned a lot of lessons about how the top transfers happen. We can't compete with Madrid or Barca, as they are the few clubs who most players would want to go to - even the rags couldn't resist over tranny. What we can do is force them to pay really silly prices if they don't play ball. Let them have their top target, as long as they let us have the next one e.g. a Dzeko or one of their players e.g. Gago or Yaya. That drops us into a bracket of competition with the likes of Bayern or AC, and in that company, our financial muscle can really pay off, as they don't have the romantic lure or Real and Barca.

reading between the lines on all the shenanegins, i think since76 has some good points here.
The fact is that while certainly not exclusive, City are one of the key players in the transfer market.. partly becuase like a mortgage chain, we are more akin to buyer who are currently renting and can therefore move straight away without waiting on their own sale.. that together with the level of cash we are talking about makes us one of the clubs who start the whole merry-go-round in motion. In addition you have this pecking order thing, which as since76 points out is likely to be headed up by Madrid ( this season ). So it makes a lot of sense that Cook goes to Madrid first and finds out first hand what their thinking is, and relates ours.. then to the next important buyers and shakers Barca and so on. The whole thing is a kind of complicated game from City's point of view.. but one where other big players who need to sell to buy, need City to spark it all off. Our play i imagine is to get what we want out of that whilst being the catalyst for all the action to happen.
Madrid and what they want may be one plan to pursue. Barca and what they want may be another separate plan we identified to follow.
I can imagine some serious fun and games yet to develop though, but when it all starts it will be fairly hectic i rekon.

i'm going with us following the Madrid thread.. but that is mainly cos i dont want city to go anywhere near Ibra or Yaya.

BBS we may be going to see Barca regarding someone else not Ibra or Yaya.Possibly AI?.

could be maxwell
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Beeks » Fri May 28, 2010 2:09 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:
could be maxwell

Even though she pays me no attention
All I wanna show is my affection
Lose myself inside her ebony
But she ain't even checking me...?

Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Rammyblue » Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 pm

For what it is worth I believe this trip has nothing to do with signing players this is all about groundwork and seeing how the lie of the land is. RM have just released their manager and want JM. It is usually the President of RM who chooses the players and then a coach deals with the rest. If they appoint JM then I can see JM telling the President who he wants. IMO I think GC has gone out there to see if JM has authorised any RM players to be released and discuss who their likely targets are so that we do not end up in a bidding war. I think we are going to have to wait a little while longer until RM have at least identified who they want before we will start wheeling and dealing. For me the pecking order in big transfers is

1) Barca
2) RM
3) Us + Chelsea.

Just my views not ITK.
Rammyblue
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby Original Dub » Fri May 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Rammyblue wrote:For what it is worth I believe this trip has nothing to do with signing players this is all about groundwork and seeing how the lie of the land is. RM have just released their manager and want JM. It is usually the President of RM who chooses the players and then a coach deals with the rest. If they appoint JM then I can see JM telling the President who he wants. IMO I think GC has gone out there to see if JM has authorised any RM players to be released and discuss who their likely targets are so that we do not end up in a bidding war. I think we are going to have to wait a little while longer until RM have at least identified who they want before we will start wheeling and dealing. For me the pecking order in big transfers is

1) Barca
2) RM
3) Us + Chelsea.

Just my views not ITK.

No one is ITK mate, that goes without saying...

As for the rest of your post - you could be onto something, but you used too many Initials ;-)
Original Dub

Postby brite blu sky » Fri May 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Rammyblue wrote:For what it is worth I believe this trip has nothing to do with signing players this is all about groundwork and seeing how the lie of the land is. RM have just released their manager and want JM. It is usually the President of RM who chooses the players and then a coach deals with the rest. If they appoint JM then I can see JM telling the President who he wants. IMO I think GC has gone out there to see if JM has authorised any RM players to be released and discuss who their likely targets are so that we do not end up in a bidding war. I think we are going to have to wait a little while longer until RM have at least identified who they want before we will start wheeling and dealing. For me the pecking order in big transfers is

1) Barca
2) RM
3) Us + Chelsea.

Just my views not ITK.

while i agree with you there.. RB ! you post then contradicts your opening sentence. But anyways... this season Real have probs jumped barca to the top of the order.. partly due to Jose and partly cos they will spend more than Barca. Jose will increase that spending also by selling.. so they end up a key force in the whole thing. I suspect that Mourinho will have already earmarked to Perez who he is interested in bringing in and who he doesn't value or want to stay. But having said that it would be more likely that Mourinho would be installed before the action starts.

As it is unlikely that Real and Barca will deal with each other, from City's perspective they are kind of two different threads if you like.. so we go in and talk to both to see who they are thinking of offloading and what key targets they have and if they effect what City want. It is a good idea for us to get in there early, cos if Mourinho manages to pull any of the Chelsea players away then Chelsea are gonna come steaming into the market trying to make up lost ground.

On the City Barca front, Maxwell, Pedro or possibly even Bojan would be interesting.. but i wouldn't think they would let any of them go at the mo.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Rammyblue » Fri May 28, 2010 4:48 pm

From another site being reported that

a) We are talking to Barca

b) Ibra + Toure back on the menu, but Laprte is still refusing to sell Ibra

c) SSN reporting that Bayern and Inter are after Dzeko.
Rammyblue
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby Original Dub » Fri May 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Rammyblue wrote:From another site being reported that

a) We are talking to Barca

b) Ibra + Toure back on the menu, but Laprte is still refusing to sell Ibra

c) SSN reporting that Bayern and Inter are after Dzeko.

Which site is that mate? :)
Original Dub

Postby Slim » Fri May 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Ronan, we should start a game.

Make as many claims as you like but they have to include a player's name.

e.g. Gerrard to sign after world cup
Ibra to Chelsea
etc

As many as you get right, you get +1 per, -1 for every one wrong, whoever wins is the site godlike ITK and their word will never be questioned again.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Fri May 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Hell yeah Eric (that's what I've decided to call you, am I warm?)

Right so, well I'll go with Silva, Dzeko, Gago and Messi to City.

Are we allowed get one wrong and still be God-like?
Original Dub

Postby gillie » Fri May 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Original Dub wrote:Hell yeah Eric (that's what I've decided to call you, am I warm?)

Right so, well I'll go with Silva, Dzeko, Gago and Messi to City.

Are we allowed get one wrong and still be God-like?

I think if you only get one right and no one else does you would be godlike Ronan.Btw i will take a stab that Slims real first name is Cole.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum