Johnson's 200K/minute Debut.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Johnson's 200K/minute Debut.

Postby Slim » Wed May 26, 2010 7:45 am

ADAM Johnson's England debut cost Manchester City a staggering £200,000 per minute.

City’s £8m winger, 22, pressed his World Cup claims as a late sub in England’s 3-1 win over Mexico on Monday.

But his five-minute cameo triggered a £1m incentive payment to former club Middlesbrough.

The cash injection is a welcome boost to Boro boss Gordon Strachan’s summer transfer fund.

Johnson said: “Middlesbrough were great for me and for my development. But coming to City has been fantastic. If I had stayed where I was, I doubt I would have this opportunity.

“Hopefully I can end the season by going to the World Cup.”

On his debut itself, he added: “It was brilliant and I really enjoyed it. The last six months have been unbelievable and winning my first England cap was the proudest moment of my career.

“It’s something I’ll never forget. It’s what you dream of when you’re a little lad. To make my debut in front of 88,000 people at Wembley is something special.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/1 ... -200-000-p

Well worth it, he could well make the final 23 and even get on the pitch on the big stage. Boro not only did the right thing for themselves, but for England and Johnson as well as he never would have gotten the call up from the championship and he could be the answer to a decade old problem for the next decade.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Re: Johnson's 200K/minute Debut.

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

What a typically daft headline from The Star. It's £1m no matter how long he plays, the amount of minutes he played is irrelevant to both City & 'Boro.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Vhero » Wed May 26, 2010 8:18 am

Madness clause though at least they could have made it a competitive game. If the lad don't get called up (Which I can't see why not) that's cost the club 1 million for 8 minutes. I know he may get called in the future but it's not the point.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Mike J » Wed May 26, 2010 8:33 am

id be suprised if we hadnt already paid them the full amount anyway. was never in question that he would play for england.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 am

Just a formality this one.
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 am

Sheik laughs at peasants who ask for pocket change like this. One million.....duh.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 am

Vhero wrote:Madness clause though at least they could have made it a competitive game. If the lad don't get called up (Which I can't see why not) that's cost the club 1 million for 8 minutes. I know he may get called in the future but it's not the point.

fantastically rendered. Yr like the Vermeer of MCF.NET.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john@staustell » Wed May 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Vhero wrote:Madness clause though at least they could have made it a competitive game. If the lad don't get called up (Which I can't see why not) that's cost the club 1 million for 8 minutes. I know he may get called in the future but it's not the point.

Pretty standard clause. Pretty daft headline.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby ronk » Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Still great value. I'm glad they got the money.

That's the sort of bonus payment you want to have to be making.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed May 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice to see the overly sensationalised headline from The Star had it’s desired effect on it’s target readers.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed May 26, 2010 11:09 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:

Nice to see the overly sensationalised headline from The Star had it’s desired effect on it’s target readers.

What newspaper do you read Einstein?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:

What newspaper do you read Einstein?

At the moment the Dom Post, good little newspaper.

Browse the Times, Scotsman and BBC for my UK/International news.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Return to The Maine Football forum