Most Horrible Football Moments

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Most Horrible Football Moments

Postby ant london » Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
ant london wrote:England going down to San Marino in the WC 1994 qualifying and failing to get to the USA

All bloody sick-feeling just horrible downers

England won that game 8-1.

I said going down....as in going behind

I'm fully aware that we won the game but going behind was just a kick in the nuts....as was not qualifying

Clear enough for you Einstein
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue May 25, 2010 1:14 pm

ant london wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
ant london wrote:England going down to San Marino in the WC 1994 qualifying and failing to get to the USA

All bloody sick-feeling just horrible downers

England won that game 8-1.

I said going down....as in going behind

I'm fully aware that we won the game but going behind was just a kick in the nuts....as was not qualifying

Clear enough for you Einstein

I wouldn't say I was Einstein. More of a Shakespeare/Virgil type, if the truth be told.

Going down to a team means losing, as in:

"manchester united went down to a last minute winner from Charlie Adam at Bloomfield Road this afternoon."

Conceding a goal isn't that " most horrible", as I see it.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby ant london » Tue May 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Conceding a goal isn't that " most horrible", as I see it.

I know what you mean but that moment just summed up how low we'd fallen under Graham Taylor's regime. It was depressing as buggery. I was in the bar at uni hoping that we could, against all odds, run up a cricket score and have the Polish do us a favour against Holland.

Then San Marino score after like 20 seconds and it was a portent of the way things would pan out

So, in that context, yes it was most horrible. Furthermore, I didn't realise that I was asking you to agree with me?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue May 25, 2010 1:34 pm

ant london wrote:Then San Marino score after like 20 seconds and it was a portent of the way things would pan out

Wasn't it less than 10? I've got the feeling it held the record for fastest goal in international history for a long, long time.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Scatman » Tue May 25, 2010 2:12 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
ant london wrote:Then San Marino score after like 20 seconds and it was a portent of the way things would pan out

Wasn't it less than 10? I've got the feeling it held the record for fastest goal in international history for a long, long time.

I think it was "ever" and courtesy of a dodgy back pass by Psycho if memory serves me right. And Carlton Palmer scored a diving header
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 pm

Scatman wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

I think it was "ever" and courtesy of a dodgy back pass by Psycho if memory serves me right. And Carlton Palmer scored a diving header

Always remember King of the Kippax commenting that he only scored that goal because he tripped over his lips
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue May 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Heysel
Fidel Castro

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Heysel

Ok, by horrible I didn't really mean anyone doing. On the pitch you know.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Scatman wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Yeah, I meant 'ever', but was beaten a couple of years back.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby walshawblue » Tue May 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:There are so many to choose from as far as City are concerned.

While penalty misses are being mentioned though, a particular bad one for me was when I was celebrating wildly as City were awarded a pen v rags then realised that Darius Vassell was about to take it.

It was a 'death of a thousand cuts' as the agony had already started before he put the ball on the spot..

i agree mate it was bound to happen with him taking the pen
BORN TO BE BLUE
walshawblue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Goataldo » Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Italia 90 was a sickener, but I suppose I shuold be grateful for it laying down a realistic blue print for life as a City fan, at 13 you think if you believe enough, and play in the right way, your team will win.

Felt terrible for the Mackems when Mickey Gray missed the decisive peno in teh play off final against Charlton.

One of the worst, most gut churningly awful moments, has to be watching the scum spawn an undeserved victory against a dominant Bayern Munich in Barcelona.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 pm

I was only 14 at the time but the Gary Macallisters penalty missed followed 60 seconds later by Gazza’s goal in Euro 96 hurt like hell for years. It took me a good five years not to rush over and change the channel anytime that goal was shown on tv.

I can appreciate the genius of that goal and why it’s remember so fondly but it whipped away memories of Scotland playing absolutely brilliant that day and by missing that penalty and getting a deserved equaliser he messed up the opportunity to all but to knock England out of there own tournament.

I very much doubt I’ll ever see a Scotland team/squad of that quality again.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby patrickblue » Tue May 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:There are so many to choose from as far as City are concerned.

While penalty misses are being mentioned though, a particular bad one for me was when I was celebrating wildly as City were awarded a pen v rags then realised that Darius Vassell was about to take it.

It was a 'death of a thousand cuts' as the agony had already started before he put the ball on the spot..

I didn't see it and I was at the match. I don't think anyone around me could watch, we all just knew he would miss.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby john@staustell » Tue May 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Scatman wrote:, I'm going to go for Waddle's penalty miss in Italia 90. Everyone knew we would have done the Argies in the final, no bother. I've not felt so deflated before, or since, that went over the bar. Not even Rooney's last minute winner in the league cup this year.

Or Scholes' in the league!

City-hating Chris Waddle, what a numpty. This guy has form, he has admitted he couldn't take penalties and felt ridiculously nervous, and he got (top flight) Sheff Weds knocked out of a cup by Wolves with one of the worst penalties I've ever seen. European player of the year maybe, but fancy letting the pillock take a penalty. Gutted.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue May 25, 2010 11:58 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:I was only 14 at the time but the Gary Macallisters penalty missed followed 60 seconds later by Gazza’s goal in Euro 96 hurt like hell for years. It took me a good five years not to rush over and change the channel anytime that goal was shown on tv.

I can appreciate the genius of that goal and why it’s remember so fondly but it whipped away memories of Scotland playing absolutely brilliant that day and by missing that penalty and getting a deserved equaliser he messed up the opportunity to all but to knock England out of there own tournament.

I very much doubt I’ll ever see a Scotland team/squad of that quality again.

Correct - not in your life time or your grandsons lifetime or your grandsons grandsons grandsons lifetime.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby dick dastardley » Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 am

watching the fucking rags in chumps league against bayern last min goal!!! couldnt sleep that night i was soo gutted, and city against tottingham we needed the win and fucked it big style!!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby dazby » Wed May 26, 2010 8:54 am

Australia v Iraq in the 1998 world cup qualifiers. 2-0 up in the home leg with 10 minutes to go. We try playing the offside trap and concede two late goals to draw 2-2 and fail on away goals. The only team to fail to qualify for the world cup without losing a match. We had a cracking team and Terry Venables at the helm.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mike J » Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 am

foe, puerta, feher collapsing on the pitch. was watching the puerta one on tv, it was awful. thought it was ok as he was able to walk off the pitch but then collapsed in the changing room again.

also the real ronaldo coming back from injury after about 18 months out, against lazio. gets the ball and goes down screaming in pain. wasnt very nice seeing that happen to your fave ever player!

on the positive side it was great when he came back and top scored at WC 2002
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Wed May 26, 2010 9:57 am

Chris Waddle and Glen Hoddle singing
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 26, 2010 10:21 am

Lee's Alter Ego wrote:Chris Waddle and Glen Hoddle singing

Nothing compared to Anfield Rap.

[youtube]Kcy3gwwxat4[/youtube]
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum