Most Horrible Football Moments

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Most Horrible Football Moments

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 am

Non-City this time. Was watching ESPN Classics the other day and remembered the Baggio's miss from the penalty box. While I was no giant Divine Ponytail fan (I thought he was somewhat overrated and lacked any pace whatsoever) you had to feel sorry for him. It doesn't come much more horrible than this. It was like Russian roulette and Roberto being the unlucky bastard.

[youtube]voT5W9Doa-s[/youtube]
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Most Horrible Football Moments

Postby Mike J » Tue May 25, 2010 11:07 am

baggio overrated?! he was one of the best ever imo.easily one of my all time fave players. and he carried that team all the ay to the final in 94.

southgates pen miss in euro 96. ive always thought he comes across as a decent fella. i always thought he was a good centreback and at least he had the balls to step up and take one. i was gutted for him.
Last edited by Mike J on Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

If it was City, it'd be fowlers penalty miss. Worse feeling I've ever had at a live game.

Anyway, I really like Baggio - thought he was absolute class and it was horrible to watch that. Other than that, I'd say Terry hitting the post against the scum and for me personally, Henry handling the ball against Ireland.

I won't be over that until the world cup is over... even then there'll always be a smidge of bitterness there.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 am

There are so many to choose from as far as City are concerned.

While penalty misses are being mentioned though, a particular bad one for me was when I was celebrating wildly as City were awarded a pen v rags then realised that Darius Vassell was about to take it.

It was a 'death of a thousand cuts' as the agony had already started before he put the ball on the spot..
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am

Mike J wrote:baggio overrated?! he was one of the best ever imo.easily one of my all time fave players. and he carried that team all the ay to the final in 94.

southgates pen miss in euro 96. ive always thought he comes across as a decent fella. i always thought he was a good centreback and at least he had the balls to step up and take one. i was gutted for him.

Well Baggio's quality isn't really the theme here but yeah, he was sublimely talented but sloooooooooowwww. Remember watching him even in his prime for Fiorentina and Juventus and always thinking that he'd not be top star anywhere but in Italy. He'd usually just stand around near the penalty box and wait for the ball to be literally brought to him. If you'd let him turn with the ball though, he was lethal.

I did like him as person though. Great character.

Ted Hughes wrote:There are so many to choose from as far as City are concerned.

While penalty misses are being mentioned though, a particular bad one for me was when I was celebrating wildly as City were awarded a pen v rags then realised that Darius Vassell was about to take it.

It was a 'death of a thousand cuts' as the agony had already started before he put the ball on the spot..

I said non-City.

But yeah, I was watching that game with a rag mate of mine and he was fucking gutted when penalty was given but I told him Vass is going to miss it, I can't for the life of me understand why someone would let Vassell take any set piece. He simply never could hit ball straight.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mike J » Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mike J wrote:baggio overrated?! he was one of the best ever imo.easily one of my all time fave players. and he carried that team all the ay to the final in 94.

Well Baggio's quality isn't really the theme here but yeah, he was sublimely talented but sloooooooooowwww. Remember watching him even in his prime for Fiorentina and Juventus and always thinking that he'd not be top star anywhere but in Italy. He'd usually just stand around near the penalty box and wait for the ball to be literally brought to him. If you'd let him turn with the ball though, he was lethal.

yeh, sorry to bang on about baggio. but i dont think speed is all that important when you have such a sharp football brain. baggio, bergkamp, le tissier, zola, cantona (sorry).
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby ant london » Tue May 25, 2010 11:22 am

England losing to Germany on penalties 1990 and 1996 editions

England going down to San Marino in the WC 1994 qualifying and failing to get to the USA

Tommy Hutchinson's own goal

Beating Stoke and going down

All bloody sick-feeling just horrible downers
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 25, 2010 11:23 am

Mike J wrote:

yeh, sorry to bang on about baggio. but i dont think speed is all that important when you have such a sharp football brain. baggio, bergkamp, le tissier, zola, cantona (sorry).

I started a topic while back about players who wouldn't make it in modern game (which surely went to shit after few posts when someone claimed it's anti-Hughes post) but yeah as much as you've mentioned some of my favourite non-City players there (Le Tissier, Zola) none of them would make it to very top in game these days I'd say.

If you think how much faster the game is (modern players run remarkable THREE TIMES more during the game than players in 80's!) the pace is such essential attribute that game would simply pass them by. Whether they would've been trained bit differently is whole another question though.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Scatman » Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 am

In terms of horror, you can't really beat a proper broken leg like David Busst, but in the spirit of the thread, I'm going to go for Waddle's penalty miss in Italia 90. Everyone knew we would have done the Argies in the final, no bother. I've not felt so deflated before, or since, that went over the bar. Not even Rooney's last minute winner in the league cup this year.
Scatman

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 25, 2010 11:26 am

Scatman wrote:In terms of horror, you can't really beat a proper broken leg like David Busst, but in the spirit of the thread, I'm going to go for Waddle's penalty miss in Italia 90. Everyone knew we would have done the Argies in the final, no bother. I've not felt so deflated before, or since, that went over the bar. Not even Rooney's last minute winner in the league cup this year.

Honestly, I reckon that was your year 1990. Top manager, brilliant squad, good atmosphere. Everything was in place there and that booring Argie side was there for the taking for you.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Tue May 25, 2010 11:28 am

Your right about Southgate, he had some balls taking it. Should never have been in that position. Ince (what a c**t) sat in the centre circle facing the other way.
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby sandman » Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 am

Haaland

Foe (RIP)
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 am

sandman wrote:Haaland

Foe (RIP)

Yeah spot on mate, i'd add a number of non-city incidents into that like off the top of my head David Busst, [strike]Alan Smith[/strike], Eduardo, Djibril Cisse twice (though at least the last three were able to carry on playing afterwards).

Its all well and good talking about the moments where players must be truly gutted for missing a penalty or letting the ball through their legs, but its good to remember once in a while that injuries and health are much more important than the game itself.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue May 25, 2010 12:01 pm

Original Dub wrote:... for me personally, Henry handling the ball against Ireland.

I won't be over that until the world cup is over... even then there'll always be a smidge of bitterness there.

The last minute seeding of the play-offs in itself was equally bad, if not worse. I think that was the moment I stopped caring about the World Cup.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Mike J wrote:

I started a topic while back about players who wouldn't make it in modern game (which surely went to shit after few posts when someone claimed it's anti-Hughes post) but yeah as much as you've mentioned some of my favourite non-City players there (Le Tissier, Zola) none of them would make it to very top in game these days I'd say.

If you think how much faster the game is (modern players run remarkable THREE TIMES more during the game than players in 80's!) the pace is such essential attribute that game would simply pass them by. Whether they would've been trained bit differently is whole another question though.

Not sure Zola & Le Tiss couldn't do it. Berbatov is a shite LeTissier imo.

I don't think people take the pitches into account when disciussing fitness. Look at how everyone starts falling on their arses, taking 2 touches, these days when the pitch is slightly rough, then imagine Peter Reid & Steve MacMahon scything down the likes of Steven Ireland every 5 minutes (& not being booked) on one of those pitches. A different kind of fitness was required imo & I'm not sure the modern 'racehorse' type players could run the same under that much pummelling. They'd be crocked all the time & more tired when they did play. Trevor Francis was always crocked & he was like Mike Tyson compared to ballet dancers like Henry etc.

Re 'non City' moments, I'd go with the '90 World Cup too. Gutting.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue May 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Seeing us get relegated at Stoke, going for a bike ride pissed off and clean breaking my wrist was a bad day (03/05/98)

Also, both Carl Asaba's and Big Fat Bob's goals a year later were sickening, but luckily it was all smiles an hour later. I've never been more devastated at a football match in my life than when that second Gillingham goal hit the back of the net, and doubt I will be ever again.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Champions League Final, Barcelona 1999. A truly, truly horrible football moment.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby btajim » Tue May 25, 2010 12:41 pm

West Ham losing the FA Cup Final to Liverpool was gutting. I saw grown men built like Brick Shithouses stood outside Pubs whilst tears ran down their faces.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby ant london » Tue May 25, 2010 12:42 pm

btajim wrote:West Ham losing the FA Cup Final to Liverpool was gutting. I saw grown men built like Brick Shithouses stood outside Pubs whilst tears ran down their faces.

was a cracking game that one though
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm

ant london wrote:England going down to San Marino in the WC 1994 qualifying and failing to get to the USA

All bloody sick-feeling just horrible downers

England won that game 8-1.

Paul Lake and Stevie Lomas swallowing their tongues was disturbing.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum