***Official England v Mexico Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***Official England v Mexico Thread***

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 pm

[center]Image v Image
International Match
24th May 2010
KO 20:00
Ground: Wembley Stadium
Image[/center]

England team news

So expect a much-changed team from the one that dispatched African Cup of Nations champions Egypt 3-1 last time in a side that could include Joe Hart, Ledley King and Tom Huddlestone from the outset.

Capello could give Manchester City keeper Hart, who impressed on a season-long loan at Birmingham City this season, the first half to see how he handles himself.

West Ham's Robert Green, who has been the Italian's first choice for the majority of his tenure, is likely to feature at some point while David James will have to wait until the Japan friendly to stake his claim for the No.1 jersey.

In defence, Chelsea duo Ashley Cole and John Terry will not be risked after their FA Cup exploits so Leighton Baines and King should gain starting berths along with Ferdinand and Glen Johnson, who have both been nursing their way to full fitness.

King looks set to get his first cap in three years after starring in Tottenham's defence at the tail end of the campaign and his team-mate Huddlestone could also be rewarded for his performances at White Hart Lane with the holding role in the Three Lions' midfield.

The former Derby midfielder will battle it out with Scott Parker for a place on the plane to South Africa if Gareth Barry fails to recover from an ankle injury, so expect West Ham's talisman to also get a run-out, potentially alongside James Milner in England's engine-room.

Aaron Lennon looked a dead-cert for the right wing role before a groin injury claimed a third of his season, but the Spurs man has returned to fitness and should start ahead of the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Adam Johnson and Theo Walcott.

Steven Gerrard, who said he will decide his Liverpool future after the World Cup, is almost guaranteed to start on the left while Peter Crouch's goalscoring record for the national side could see him partner Wayne Rooney in attack.

Mexico team news

Mexico, meanwhile, will be keen to get their World Cup preparations underway by frustrating England in front of their home fans.

Javier Aguirre's side, who are in Group A alongside France, South Africa and Uruguay, have players who can worry the Three Lions with Deportivo winger Andres Guardado one of their top performers as well as Giovani Dos Santos, who has been sent out on loan by Tottenham.

El Tri also have a solid double-act in central defence with Rafael Marquez and Ricardo Osorio forming the basis of their rearguard for the past five years while supporters of Arsenal and West Ham will be familiar with the talents of strike duo Carlos Vela and Guillermo Franco.

Possible starting XIs

England: Hart, Johnson, King, Ferdinand, Baines, Lennon, Huddlestone, Milner, Gerrard, Crouch, Rooney.

Mexico: Ochoa, Salcido, Marquez, Osorio, Juarez, Guardado, J Dos Santos, Torrado, G Dos Santos, Franco, Blanco.
Last edited by Mark (Blue Army) on Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: ***Official England v Mexico Thread***

Postby Elvistheblue » Mon May 24, 2010 6:13 pm

ENGLAND TEAM: Green, Johnson, Baines, Ferdinand, King, Walcott, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Crouch, Rooney

No Adam Johnson which surprised me....How is he going to tell if he's up to the task if he doesn't play a competitive game??
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby The Man In Blue » Mon May 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:ENGLAND TEAM: Green, Johnson, Baines, Ferdinand, King, Walcott, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Crouch, Rooney

No Adam Johnson which surprised me....How is he going to tell if he's up to the task if he doesn't play a competitive game??

not on the bench?
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Elvistheblue » Mon May 24, 2010 6:24 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
Elvistheblue wrote:ENGLAND TEAM: Green, Johnson, Baines, Ferdinand, King, Walcott, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Crouch, Rooney

not on the bench?

Not got details of the bench yet. I assume he will be on the bench otherwise what's the point??
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby Florida Blue » Mon May 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Great I can only watch first half, and got to watch Green prepare to play. This is time for Joe Hart, I know he will play second half, but it seems clear to me Green's job to lose, despite what Capello says.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm

I see ITV were active in the transfer market - their big money signing Adrian Chiles starts for them tonight after his switch from the Beeb.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby King Kev » Mon May 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Ah well, don't think I'll bother watching the 1st half then.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 24, 2010 7:08 pm

Walcott's first two attempts at a cross and a pass result in a Mexico counter attack. Stick AJ on the right for fecl's sake, he can show him how to do it, even with his left foot.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Sister of fu » Mon May 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Dameerto wrote:Walcott's first two attempts at a cross and a pass result in a Mexico counter attack. Stick AJ on the right for fecl's sake, he can show him how to do it, even with his left foot.

Walcott has had a poor season but still gets in for England. Didn't Capello say he would only pick players in form??
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Chinners » Mon May 24, 2010 7:12 pm

Sub Match Thread B*ll*x

Hart, James, Carragher, Dawson, Upson, Warnock, Lennon, Parker, Huddlestone, Wright-Phillips, Adam Johnson, Heskey, Defoe
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Mexico are looking a more coherent team at the moment, hopefully we'll get a grip of the game soon.

Oh, and fuck off Townsend you plastic twat, you're fucking me off already!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Dameerto wrote:Walcott's first two attempts at a cross and a pass result in a Mexico counter attack. Stick AJ on the right for fecl's sake, he can show him how to do it, even with his left foot.

Walcott has had a poor season but still gets in for England. Didn't Capello say he would only pick players in form??

I'm really hoping for some triple City involvement in the second half after seeing the subs bench or Ill be tearing my hear out.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Oh, and Carrick you are gasher than a gash thing in a gash storm; how the fuck did he get picked?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm

AJ against their veteran left back would be something to see
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Bloody hell, KING, I was not expecting that
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Chinners » Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

I'm really hoping for some triple City involvement in the second half after seeing the subs bench or Ill be tearing my hear out.

King 1-0!!

You could argue 4 really .... if you include Milner
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 24, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't like tempting fate though Chinners, hahah. I don't want to take the blame if it falls through.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon May 24, 2010 7:31 pm

WAYNE ROONEY OVERATED AND GERARD PAST IT.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon May 24, 2010 7:33 pm

BET HART WAS GUTTED TO SEE THAT SAVE.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I was thinking that too
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum