Mancini recharging batteries and looking to the future

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mancini recharging batteries and looking to the future

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun May 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Roberto Mancini aims to leave no stone unturned as he puts the building blocks in place for his first full season in the Premier League.

The Italian’s eye for detail will be translated to the squad, the training ground and the pre-season preparations this summer.

And the Blues boss is determined that the exertions of the summer’s World Cup in South Africa will not sap City’s strength or potency ahead of the big kick-off on August 14.

With some 23 winners’ medals from his playing and managerial career to date, not to mention his Italian Footballer of the Year and Serie A Player of the Year double or his Manager of the Year award in 2007 while boss of Inter Milan, Mancini ought to know a thing or two about what ingredients go into producing a winning side from the season’s flag fall to curtain call.

Already he has agreed a busy schedule of pre-season games in the United States against Sporting Lisbon, New York Red Bulls, Club America and his former club Inter Milan.

Two more first team fixtures will follow the last of which will be a homecoming on August 7 at the City of Manchester Stadium.

All six games will be preceded by a ten-day training camp in the American West designed to give the Blues a head start.

“I think it is vital we have a good pre-season and I’m looking forward to it already. A lot of players will be at the World Cup and will maybe arrive back a little later, but we will have plenty of time together,” confirmed the boss.

Preparation is vitally important and our schedule is a good one that gives us time together as a squad and plenty of very competitive games

"Preparation is vitally important and our
schedule is a good one that gives us
time together as a squad and plenty of
very competitive games"

“I enjoyed the six months I had last season but it was really hectic and meant learning a lot very quickly for me. I am glad now of the chance to take a breath and prepare for next season when we want to improve on what we achieved this season.”

Mancini will not attend the World Cup but instead join the majority of fans on the planet and view the South African extravaganza on the not so small screen!

“I will watch the World Cup on TV with my sons and just relax and rest as much as I can. Football will never be far from my mind but it is a chance to recharge my batteries,” he confirmed.

“It will be an interesting summer but it would be nice if Italy made it to the final, but I think it will be difficult.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Mancini recharging batteries and looking to the future

Postby brite blu sky » Mon May 24, 2010 7:52 am

im starting to think that it is going to be interesting watching Mancini this coming season.. i really think we haven't seen anything of the real Mancini yet.. well very little anyways. I know from experience what it is like to arrive in a country without a complete set of language skills. Lack of ability to express exactly what you want means you take a knock, personality wise.. you just cant help it, it goes with the territory.
Apart from that, Bobby really did drop right into the deep end with City.. and it was plain that he appreciated what Mark Hughes had achieved with the players etc that were here, when he mentioned a couple of times at the end of the season that what the team achieved was 50% him and 50% Hughes.
I think it is difficult to imagine being in a more difficult situation than that which Mancini arrived to. All the expectation plus the vibe that was created by sacking Hughes so abruptly. Having to not only get to know the players on the fly and shore up a leaky approach to games, but also to learn about the Prem and each team in it having never played them before. Everything was out of the window.
I thought he was visibly shocked when we got trashed by Everton at Goodison.. and as it turned out that was possibly the low point.. it was certainly a birth by fire.

So i think overall, having gotten over the disappointments of the cup exits and losing to fuclin Spurs, looking back now with hindsight Bobby Manc has done a good job.. given the circumstances actually quite amazing. One of those circumstances being the complete and total lack of a string pulling forward midfielder.. in fact we didn't even have someone fit who could do even half a job in that key position.
So im concluding that he has got what it takes at a basic level, there is still a lot of work to do not only with language. It will though be very interesting to see what he gets up to from here on in. As he says in this article he has earned a breathing space and can now approach the coming season in a 'normal' way.. all the prep with the players and squad, new signings to address the obvious weaknesses and a properly planned out approach to the season (including fitness and training regimes).

The team ultimatley finished with a disappointment not grabbing that 4th spot, but the frustration of that will turn into a higher level of determination in both Mancini and the players. This season we gave all of the top teams a serious run for their money.. no-one will approach City from now on thinking there are points to be had. We are going to be right in the mix and i hope that the disappointment of this season's end translates into a determination to show that we are not just trying to sneak into the CL with a 4th place in the Prem, but we intend to show that we can be seriously considered challengers for the CL by topping the English league and taking the likes of Chelsea and the rags out in the process.
The Europa is going to be a good grounding for the Club and again i expect that the team will go out and show Europe what is coming their way.
This coming season is the biggest in our history in terms of expectation since we were defending Champions all that time ago.
We still need some astute signings to bolster what we already have and we need that forward mid, im with CtK that we should look for players that have yet to establish themselves, rather than players that have already peaked..
either way it is going to be a lot of serious fun.. and i cant wait
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Mancini recharging batteries and looking to the future

Postby Slim » Mon May 24, 2010 7:54 am

I think Mancini is right though in saying that Hughes deserves credit as well, our best finish, most points, most goals, best goal difference in the Premier League. Certainly have made steps in the right direction.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum