***Official Champions League Final Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***Official Champions League Final Thread***

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri May 21, 2010 7:45 pm

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image v Image
UEFA Champions League
Final
22nd May 2010
KO 19:45
Ground: Santiago Bernabeu
Live: Image[/center]

In some quarters this match is being billed as 'God versus Son of God', with Van Gaal having acted as a mentor for Mourinho's early career having offered him a break as his assistant at Barcelona in the late 1990s.

Bayern are themselves fighting for the Treble after finishing on top in a dramatic Bundesliga season and lifting the German cup to allow Van Gaal, a European Cup winner with Ajax in 1995, to reinforce his reputation as one of the world's best coaches.

But while the Dutchman's achievements have offered him the opportunity for a little broadside at Mourinho, "I think I educated Jose a little but he trains to win, I train to play beautiful football and win. My way is more difficult", he remains aware of the threat.

Having advanced from Group F, Inter have stunned Chelsea, seen off CSKA Moscow and shocked holders Barcelona in the knockout stages to demonstrate that they have progressed from previously perennial European underachievers to arrive at the final as favourites.

Bayern, though, have also impressed after coming through Group A to eliminate Fiorentina, Manchester United and Lyon to set up a fascinating meeting with their Italian opponents.

Neither team will be at full strength at the Bernabeu as key men will be missing the showpiece event, which will be refereed by England's Howard Webb.

Inter are without Brazilian defensive midfielder Thiago Motta after he was controversially sent off in the semi-final with Barcelona.

Julio Cesar should keep his place in goal, while Maicon, Lucio, Walter Samuel and Javier Zanetti are expected to make up the defence.

Esteban Cambiasso, Goran Pandev and Cristian Chivu are likely to form a flexible midfield trio behind Samuel Eto'o, Wesley Sneijder and Diego Milito.

Bayern are without star man Franck Ribery after he failed with his appeal against his red card in the first leg of the semi-finals against Lyon.

Hans-Jorg Butt will keep his place in goal, with Philipp Lahm, the highly-rated Holger Badstuber, Daniel van Buyten and Diego Contento starting in defence.

Hamit Altintop, Mark van Bommel, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Arjen Robben are set to operate in midfield, with Ivica Olic and Thomas Muller in attack.

Possible starting XIs

Inter Milan: Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Samuel, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Pandev, Chivu, Eto'o, Sneijder, Milito.

Bayern Munich: Butt, Lahm, Badstuber, Van Buyten, Contento, Altintop, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, Robben, Olic, Muller.
Last edited by Mark (Blue Army) on Sat May 22, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Official Champions League Final Thread

Postby Original Dub » Sat May 22, 2010 11:17 am

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image v Image
UEFA Champions League
Final
22nd May 2010
KO 19:45
Ground: Santiago Bernabeu
Live: Image[/center]

In some quarters this match is being billed as 'God versus Son of God', with Van Gaal having acted as a mentor for Mourinho's early career having offered him a break as his assistant at Barcelona in the late 1990s.

Bayern are themselves fighting for the Treble after finishing on top in a dramatic Bundesliga season and lifting the German cup to allow Van Gaal, a European Cup winner with Ajax in 1995, to reinforce his reputation as one of the world's best coaches.

But while the Dutchman's achievements have offered him the opportunity for a little broadside at Mourinho, "I think I educated Jose a little but he trains to win, I train to play beautiful football and win. My way is more difficult", he remains aware of the threat.

Having advanced from Group F, Inter have stunned Chelsea, seen off CSKA Moscow and shocked holders Barcelona in the knockout stages to demonstrate that they have progressed from previously perennial European underachievers to arrive at the final as favourites.

Bayern, though, have also impressed after coming through Group A to eliminate Fiorentina, Manchester U***d and Lyon to set up a fascinating meeting with their Italian opponents.

Neither team will be at full strength at the Bernabeu as key men will be missing the showpiece event, which will be refereed by England's Howard Webb.

Inter are without Brazilian defensive midfielder Thiago Motta after he was controversially sent off in the semi-final with Barcelona.

Julio Cesar should keep his place in goal, while Maicon, Lucio, Walter Samuel and Javier Zanetti are expected to make up the defence.

Esteban Cambiasso, Goran Pandev and Cristian Chivu are likely to form a flexible midfield trio behind Samuel Eto'o, Wesley Sneijder and Diego Milito.

Bayern are without star man Franck Ribery after he failed with his appeal against his red card in the first leg of the semi-finals against Lyon.

Hans-Jorg Butt will keep his place in goal, with Philipp Lahm, the highly-rated Holger Badstuber, Daniel van Buyten and Diego Contento starting in defence.

Hamit Altintop, Mark van Bommel, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Arjen Robben are set to operate in midfield, with Ivica Olic and Thomas Muller in attack.

Possible starting XIs

Inter Milan: Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Samuel, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Pandev, Chivu, Eto'o, Sneijder, Milito.

Bayern Munich: Butt, Lahm, Badstuber, Van Buyten, Contento, Altintop, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, Robben, Olic, Muller.

Now that is what its all about.

Come on Bayern!
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Sat May 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Inter got this in the bag how the hell Bayern got to the final is beyond me its like when the scouse did it.. Just shows the best teams fuck up under extreme pressure.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby brite blu sky » Sat May 22, 2010 12:12 pm

i hope inter fuck up.. an early og would do nicely and then to watch Bayern park the bus, airplane and train and teach Inter a lesson in non-football

c'mon Inter put it in yer own net

1-0 to Bayern
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby fangsanalsatan » Sat May 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Vhero wrote:Inter got this in the bag how the hell Bayern got to the final is beyond me its like when the scouse did it.. Just shows the best teams fuck up under extreme pressure.

Well, Bayern have been in tremendous form in the second half of the season and they reached the final on merit playing very dominant and enjoyable football, ask TomS (if he's willing to admit). And if the 'best teams' buckle under pressure, they're not the best teams, aren't they.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby ashton287 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:12 pm

22,000+ corporate seats for this, fucking joke that. There will be as many suits there as actual fans of either team.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Re: ***Official Champions League Final Thread***

Postby Slim » Sat May 22, 2010 5:11 pm

After the ups and downs of the playoff final, let's hope this one gives us a good game. For aussies burning the midnight(3am) oil, at least it's on SBS so we don't have to suffer Tommy fucking Smyth's 90 minute shitstain drivel on ESPN.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Slim wrote:After the ups and downs of the playoff final, let's hope this one gives us a good game. For aussies burning the midnight(3am) oil, at least it's on SBS so we don't have to suffer Tommy fucking Smyth's 90 minute shitstain drivel on ESPN.

We've got the accented punditry of Didi Hamann on ITV in the UK, we're spoiled today.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat May 22, 2010 6:24 pm

1-0 Inter. Paint dry type of game.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby bluej » Sat May 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Mourinho really does embody self confidence.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Nice goal from Silvester Stallone
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby bluej » Sat May 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Great finish that.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby bluej » Sat May 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Pretty good first half, Inter should have had a second. Bayern have had all the ball but not really created a clear cut chance. Game is set up for Inter now.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby brite blu sky » Sat May 22, 2010 7:41 pm

typical anti-football from Inter and Mourinho
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby bluej » Sat May 22, 2010 7:42 pm

brite blu sky wrote:typical anti-football from Inter and Mourinho

I don't think they've been that negative, yes they've sat back when Bayern have the ball (which is exactly what we do) but when they've had the ball they've been much more attractive than Bayern IMO.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby dikdik » Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Agree. I've been quite impressed with their forward play.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Kladze » Sat May 22, 2010 7:45 pm

brite blu sky wrote:typical anti-football from Inter and Mourinho

Yes.

Bayern have been toying with Inter in much the same way as a mouse might toy with a mousetrap.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Nice lively start to the second half from both teams
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby edge275 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:01 pm

Van Buyten - From fighting relegation with city to playing a Champions League final.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Sly Stallone gets his second
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum