Our club structure

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Our club structure

Postby dazby » Fri May 21, 2010 12:30 pm

The club had been structured on the model of Barcelona, meaning that there is alot of consistency through the club so even if the manager changes the ethos stays the same. They said that Brian Marwood was effectivly running the department of football, much like Steve was running the Commercial department and Graham the finance ect. This does not mean he is involved in team affairs just that he is involved in the overall administration of footballing matters.

I've stolen this titbit from mcfc-forum. Blue Tones found out this information.

I like it. I like it a lot. It say stability to me.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Re: Our club structure

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri May 21, 2010 12:33 pm

1. What credentials does Marwood have to hold such position in club like ours?
2. We have million miles to go before we can talk of any sort of stability in the Club, never mind claiming we are Barcelona.
3. Who the FUCK are "Steve" and "Graham"?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Fri May 21, 2010 12:38 pm

The Model of Barcelona?! A Community Club owned by their Supporters who elect Presidents etc. That's nothing like City.

Marwood is an ex-Pro, was Chairman of the PFA and was in Marketing for Nike where he worked alongside Garry Cook. Jobs for the boys, like.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby dazby » Fri May 21, 2010 12:39 pm

1. Have you looked into it? What have you come up with? He's done a vid on the OS stating what he does. He's also a fricking tight arse who wouldn't give me 80k a week and went for Fulop instead. pah!

2. We are more stable now than we have been the past 20 years. No one says we are Barcelona, just using their model.

3. At a guess I would say Steve runs the commercial side and Graham the finance. Wouldn't you? Do you really care?
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby BobKowalski » Fri May 21, 2010 12:45 pm

dazby wrote:The club had been structured on the model of Barcelona, meaning that there is alot of consistency through the club so even if the manager changes the ethos stays the same. They said that Brian Marwood was effectivly running the department of football, much like Steve was running the Commercial department and Graham the finance ect. This does not mean he is involved in team affairs just that he is involved in the overall administration of footballing matters.

Assuming that this is correct I like it too. I do think that Mancini and Marwood are pretty much of the same mind when it comes to the type of player they want to bring into City and Marwood can bring a degree of continuity and stability to the club even if the manager changes.

To be honest I don't really get why there is a lot of animosity towards Marwood but then maybe I haven't been paying attention :)
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Chinners » Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Sorry we are miles away from being like Barcelona, from how the club is run right down to accademy investment ... we are closer to Chelsea in that respect and there a gulf there as well
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby dazby » Fri May 21, 2010 12:56 pm

FFS, neither myself nor the author are claiming this Chinners. We have adopted their management structure, tis all.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby john68 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree Chinners...we are miles away from Barcelona....It's on the other side of Spain. You were right to point this out mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Chinners » Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Have we Dazby? I seriously doubt that as well tbh .... still, matters on the pitch have always been my concern before owt else
Last edited by Chinners on Fri May 21, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Chinners » Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Ha ha John ...
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby pepsi_dave » Fri May 21, 2010 5:23 pm

dazby wrote:FFS, neither myself nor the author are claiming this Chinners. We have adopted their management structure, tis all.

I understand what u mean mate. The CLUB isnt using the structure of barca as a replica model, but as i Understand, they are perhaps, replicating certain elements of their model.

From what I can gather about marwoods role, he is involved with selecting young british players who he thinks will add improvement to the squad. Probably for not an immediate introduction to first team football, but in a season or two will be knocking on the door if not already part of the first team..... ala Johnson. Mancini doesn't have to sign them, but I believe that Marwood is certainly making reccomendations. All of this could be wrong, but thats my interpretation of what I've heard when talking to other blues.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Original Dub » Sat May 22, 2010 3:32 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
dazby wrote:The club had been structured on the model of Barcelona, meaning that there is alot of consistency through the club so even if the manager changes the ethos stays the same. They said that Brian Marwood was effectivly running the department of football, much like Steve was running the Commercial department and Graham the finance ect. This does not mean he is involved in team affairs just that he is involved in the overall administration of footballing matters.

Assuming that this is correct I like it too. I do think that Mancini and Marwood are pretty much of the same mind when it comes to the type of player they want to bring into City and Marwood can bring a degree of continuity and stability to the club even if the manager changes.

To be honest I don't really get why there is a lot of animosity towards Marwood but then maybe I haven't been paying attention :)

I'm with you on this... which is refreshing...

NQDP has a big problem with Marwood for some reason and keeps questioning his credentials... even though he appears to be doing a fine job and is more than qualified to do so.
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Sun May 23, 2010 10:47 am

Original Dub wrote:NQDP has a big problem with Marwood for some reason and keeps questioning his credentials... even though he appears to be doing a fine job and is more than qualified to do so.

I've got a problem with him, too. And so did Hughes by all accounts.

Marwood is basically the Director of Football and it's a system that causes problems at other Clubs in England. I note Twitchy didn't take the job at Tottenham until Commoli (sp) had gone.

Garry Cook has found a job at City for his old Mate.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 am

btajim wrote:
Original Dub wrote:NQDP has a big problem with Marwood for some reason and keeps questioning his credentials... even though he appears to be doing a fine job and is more than qualified to do so.

I've got a problem with him, too. And so did Hughes by all accounts.

Marwood is basically the Director of Football and it's a system that causes problems at other Clubs in England. I note Twitchy didn't take the job at Tottenham until Commoli (sp) had gone.

Garry Cook has found a job at City for his old Mate.

That's pretty much it.

How is Marwood "more than qualified" to run footballing department of club size of ours? He has NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE of holding vacancy like that. Generally in big companies key operating management duties are given exclusively to people with extended experience of similar jobs. Playing football and selling trainers isn't exactly that.

Whether he is doing good job, I don't know. Nedum and Ireland are looking to get out, while I wasn't exactly happy with Hughes his sacking could've been dealt better, january transfer window wasn't exactly success etc etc. While Mancini needs to carry some of the responsibility for these, Marwood is the director of the operative side and therefore in charge of what happens below him in hierarchy.

Now that we are implementing Director of Football system, it doesn't work so that he gets credit for every succesfull transfer and manager shoulders the blame for everything that goes wrong. It works both ways and director should be responsible for what his department does, both good or bad. We are doing it wrong if in future we fail to meet our footballing targets and simply change managers and director stays the same like Dazby's original post implies.

I'm not Marwood hater but appointing such inexperienced person in such big job was irresponsible move by Cook, he himself very inexperienced in his job, and therefore raises lot of question marks.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Mon May 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Whether he is doing good job, I don't know. Nedum and Ireland are looking to get out, while I wasn't exactly happy with Hughes his sacking could've been dealt better, january transfer window wasn't exactly success etc etc. While Mancini needs to carry some of the responsibility for these, Marwood is the director of the operative side and therefore in charge of what happens below him in hierarchy.

Well... Ned is injury prone and Ireland has been very inconsistent with one brilliant season out of four. I suppose the problem with Ireland setting himself such high standards to meet is that we all notice when his form dips. Imagine Tevez only scoring 10 next season! If Marwood can help bring in 2 Players who'll achieve more than Ned and Ireland then I've got no problem with his presence at City. I just struggle to work out what purpose he serves when we seem to determined to isolate Players and let Academy Graduates move on.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Return to The Maine Football forum