Adam Johnson terrorises Jamie Carragher

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Adam Johnson terrorises Jamie Carragher

Postby blootoof » Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Adam Johnson is the star of the show at England training camp

Manchester City winger Adam Johnson was the star of England's first training session at their pre-World Cup camp in Austria.

The former Middlesbrough winger impressed onlookers in a series of drills between attack and defence.

Playing on the left wing, he terrorised Liverpool veteran Jamie Carragher and rained in a string of pinpoint crosses.

Johnson is one of the players with most to do to reach the final 23, but on yesterday's showing is clearly in with a great chance of making South Africa.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/En ... um=twitter
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Re: Adam Johnson terrorises Jamie Carragher

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 20, 2010 5:09 am

blootoof wrote:Adam Johnson is the star of the show at England training camp

Manchester City winger Adam Johnson was the star of England's first training session at their pre-World Cup camp in Austria.

The former Middlesbrough winger impressed onlookers in a series of drills between attack and defence.

Playing on the left wing, he terrorised Liverpool veteran Jamie Carragher and rained in a string of pinpoint crosses.

Johnson is one of the players with most to do to reach the final 23, but on yesterday's showing is clearly in with a great chance of making South Africa.

It's not fucking rocket science is it? Perhaps if he stars in the world cup, our manager will give him a game in his correct position rather than making him turn inside & pass the ball backwards or cross it with his wrong foot?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Thu May 20, 2010 5:12 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

It's not fucking rocket science is it? Perhaps if he stars in the world cup, our manager will give him a game in his correct position rather than making him turn inside & pass the ball backwards or cross it with his wrong foot?

Would you think that had RSC been playing more consistently that AJ's inswinging crosses would have found the net more, they just looked so dangerous and no-one was busting a gut to get on the end of them, exactly the sort of supply that a RSC style player would feed on.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 am

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Would you think that had RSC been playing more consistently that AJ's inswinging crosses would have found the net more, they just looked so dangerous and no-one was busting a gut to get on the end of them, exactly the sort of supply that a RSC style player would feed on.

The absolute opposite mate. I'm a keen observer of that very thing (in fact I pull out my fucking hair about it) & while RSC makes the same kind of runs that Graeme Sharp used to do (on the odd occasion he actually gets on the pitch) Johnson & others crossing completely fails to emulate Kevin sheedy. It's either too high (unless Ade gets on RSC's shoulders) or hits the 1st man or, more often than not, is a sideways pass to someone like Zabaletta who hoofs it into the stand from the edge of the box.

I'm sure he could learn to do it in time but it's been a complete waste of talent.

Edit: Tbf he's put in one or two near post ones that a Paul Walsh type player would feed on but still a waste imo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Thu May 20, 2010 5:27 am

Well, I would love to see him on the left, but I think I have seen some aimed at the backpost that would be eaten up by a proper centreforward, give me Niall fucking Quinn. And unfortunately at the time Sheedy was around I was only seeing the highlights show and every fucking one was pinpoint although I am sure this wasn't always the case.

Johnson is young though and will learn, his fitness is an issue and I am sure once he is up to speed next season(Ireland boot camp would be nice, if he doesn't make the 23) then it will seem like he has even more time on the ball and I think the quality of his delivery from either side, will improve.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 20, 2010 5:44 am

Slim wrote:Well, I would love to see him on the left, but I think I have seen some aimed at the backpost that would be eaten up by a proper centreforward, give me Niall fucking Quinn. And unfortunately at the time Sheedy was around I was only seeing the highlights show and every fucking one was pinpoint although I am sure this wasn't always the case.

Johnson is young though and will learn, his fitness is an issue and I am sure once he is up to speed next season(Ireland boot camp would be nice, if he doesn't make the 23) then it will seem like he has even more time on the ball and I think the quality of his delivery from either side, will improve.

I think you're right about him improving next season. It's obvious the talent is there to eventually deliver a ball from both sides, similar to Giggs imo. Giggs' crossing wasn't consistant early on.

The positions Quinn used to take up (like coasting in behind the fullback) are similar to those RSC & sometimes our defenders have taken up when Johnson's been on the ball. He usually doesn't try to put the ball in though or gets it wrong when he does. Ironically, as you say, when he does get it right we never have anyone on the pitch to cash in on it.

It was pretty much the case that Sheedy used to put really nasty balls into that area all day btw!

Milner's a very decent crosser of the ball too even when he plays midfield. Same with Gerrard, so you would think Mancini definitely has a centre forward in mind to get on the end of stuff. Whether that's instead of, or in addition to RSC may depend on how many bite in the transfer market.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Abu Dhabi » Thu May 20, 2010 6:14 am

Calm down lads, it only confirms that Carragher is shit..
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby CityGer » Thu May 20, 2010 6:26 am

He's a shoe in to go, I reckon. I also think he'll get a decent bit of gme time.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby brite blu sky » Thu May 20, 2010 8:25 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:Well, I would love to see him on the left, but I think I have seen some aimed at the backpost that would be eaten up by a proper centreforward, give me Niall fucking Quinn. And unfortunately at the time Sheedy was around I was only seeing the highlights show and every fucking one was pinpoint although I am sure this wasn't always the case.

I think you're right about him improving next season. It's obvious the talent is there to eventually deliver a ball from both sides, similar to Giggs imo. Giggs' crossing wasn't consistant early on.

The positions Quinn used to take up (like coasting in behind the fullback) are similar to those RSC & sometimes our defenders have taken up when Johnson's been on the ball. He usually doesn't try to put the ball in though or gets it wrong when he does. Ironically, as you say, when he does get it right we never have anyone on the pitch to cash in on it.

It was pretty much the case that Sheedy used to put really nasty balls into that area all day btw!

Milner's a very decent crosser of the ball too even when he plays midfield. Same with Gerrard, so you would think Mancini definitely has a centre forward in mind to get on the end of stuff. Whether that's instead of, or in addition to RSC may depend on how many bite in the transfer market.

i like all this analysis. Bearing in mind that we seriously intend to win every single game next season, we will need cover for AJ and cover for RSC ( or cover for his replacement ). Assuming that Bobby has determined his prefered approach to playing the Prem game, both plan A and B. It would suggest that Milner is a seriously key target, as Ted notes he is a good crosser from all over the pitch and is versatile so can be pushed around at will, double up for AJ when needed. that still leaves a need for a classic CF, as we cannot rely on RSC. Who then has got the attributes to be that player? Torres?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu May 20, 2010 8:28 am

Go on AJ get your seat booked on that plane.

He is a fantastic crosser of the ball something we and England have really lacked.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Mike J » Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 am

if bellamy goes like many think he will, AJ will surely start on the left next year.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am

AJ is a good crosser of the ball but not a great one ...yet. We can only hope he improves and finds his man more often to go with the excellent skills he shows on the ball beating his man and making room for the cross. Practice makes perfect I hope as he does practice crossing a lot.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Slim » Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 am

brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

i like all this analysis. Bearing in mind that we seriously intend to win every single game next season, we will need cover for AJ and cover for RSC ( or cover for his replacement ). Assuming that Bobby has determined his prefered approach to playing the Prem game, both plan A and B. It would suggest that Milner is a seriously key target, as Ted notes he is a good crosser from all over the pitch and is versatile so can be pushed around at will, double up for AJ when needed. that still leaves a need for a classic CF, as we cannot rely on RSC. Who then has got the attributes to be that player? Torres?

You're not gonna like the answer to that one, he is 6'4", plays for Barca and no, I don't think he is the player we need but I get the feeling Bobby might think he is the answer.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Grob » Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 am

Johnson is a different type of player to anyone else in the England squad. And he's been very involved with producing alot of our chances last season.

I think it would be daft not to take him. Theres a position open on the left. At the very least Johnson would be an option off the bench.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Dazzacity » Thu May 20, 2010 10:07 am

I think we will see Johnson on the left next season. I think Mancini only switched him as he didnt have much faith in our right wingers and wanted to play Bellamy and Johnson.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby irblinx » Thu May 20, 2010 10:52 am

I assume he'll get the opportunity to prove that it isn't just training ground form in the up coming friendlies, he will have to try and keep up the effort for 90 mins though if he wants to get on the plane to SA
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri May 21, 2010 12:42 am

Slim wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

You're not gonna like the answer to that one, he is 6'4", plays for Barca and no, I don't think he is the player we need but I get the feeling Bobby might think he is the answer.

i have a feeling he could be the answer...unlike others on here, i don't slate him for being a super gay, "goes missing" pansy halfass. In fact, i see him as a big, strong world class fucler who does shit that i am not sure anyone else in the Prem can do other than maybe Drogs or Torres. A fucking monster. Ill have him. If you know what i mean.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Slim » Fri May 21, 2010 1:44 am

DoomMerchant wrote:i have a feeling he could be the answer...unlike others on here, i don't slate him for being a super gay, "goes missing" pansy halfass. In fact, i see him as a big, strong world class fucler who does shit that i am not sure anyone else in the Prem can do other than maybe Drogs or Torres. A fucking monster. Ill have him. If you know what i mean.

cheers

Yes Gerard, we know exactly what you mean.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri May 21, 2010 2:53 am

Dazzacity wrote:I think we will see Johnson on the left next season. I think Mancini only switched him as he didnt have much faith in our right wingers and wanted to play Bellamy and Johnson.

I disagree, when he and swp played he stuck swp on the left.

Madness.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Fish111 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 am

I am very confident that Johnson will make the final squad. He's just too good to leave out surely? I think he will be a sub in the World Cup at first but will seize his chance when he comes on and Capello will not be able to leave him out again.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum