Worst ever decisions by City managers

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Worst ever decisions by City managers

Postby simon12 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Rodney Marsh
Steve Daley
Kevin Bond
Bob Taylor
Samaras

Their Mine.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Socrates wrote:
Crossie wrote:Theres a similar thread on Bluemoon at the moment, quite interesting and always good to reminis.

I'll start with Alan Balls decision to sell Flitcroft
Peter Reid not playing Clive Allen enough
Keegan falling out with Berkovic

bit unfair on Ball, don't think it was his choice, more a matter of the club's finances at the time,

Worst decision by far was Big Mal's decision to sell Barnes and Owen to West Brom and use the funds to help but Steve Daley.

I couldn't come to terms with that for a long time. It felt like a bad dream. In fact he sold just about everyone who was any good & replaced them with players who weren't any good.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby gillie » Tue May 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Whoever picked Barry Conlon.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Les McDowall letting Bobby Johnstone go to Hibernian or maybe it was Oldham in 1959, thus robbing me of one of my first sporting heroes at age 10. To be followed three years from now by Mancini not substituting an exhausted Messi in the second half of the Champions League final, leading to City getting beaten and failing to retain the trophy.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby btajim » Wed May 19, 2010 8:00 am

Florida Blue wrote:James, I like him a lot as a player when he wants to play, and yes he was Top Scorer, but I think that is more because we have no one up front who could score. But you are only looking at 1/2 the equation. In the second season he was a crap primadonna and last I recall he was plying his trade with another club several thousand miles away.

I was not happy when he left because he is a real talent, but he mentally left long before he physically left. So to me it was a very poor first buy from the player usefulness stand piont. For PR and making a statement I will say it was a solid buy.

People are talking about Barry Conlon or Spencer Prior - yet it's criminal to bring Robinho's name in as a similar kind of player unless we're solely talking about Players who left / leave City under a cloud.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Tony P » Wed May 19, 2010 8:09 am

simon12 wrote:Rodney Marsh
Steve Daley
Kevin Bond
Bob Taylor
Samaras

Their Mine.

Really? What's so bad about it? Not producing enough coal? Safety issues? Strikes?
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue In Bolton » Wed May 19, 2010 8:35 am

Trying to build a team round Kinky with utter shite - circa Alan Ball and Frank Clark
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David White

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

The mystifying introduction of Gelson Fernandes at right back vs Liverpool was absolutely unforgiveable.

At least when Sven did it with Elano, he could justifiably say we were down to the bare bones. However, that day we had TBH on the bench, and England's incumbent right back playing at centre half. Of course that would have been too obvious.

That, right there is where Hughes started his run to the bottom 3 that season.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Mike J » Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 am

swapping paul walsh for gerry 'the lardman' creany almost made me cry with anger.

the signings of immel, frontzeck, vonk, kernaghan, mcgoldrick, holden.

samaras - did a fucking blind man scout him!?
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 19, 2010 10:03 am

There are so many to choose from but honestly I always thought selling Colin Hendry was as fucking stupid move as any. I don't think we would've ever gone down with Hendry's öeadership and quality as central defender.

Then there's letting Coton go to Rags. Letting Flitcroft go. Not letting Lake heal properly (imo) before pushing him back again. Just about everything Frank Clark did. Steve Coppell's shower session. Signing George Weah (made us look pretty ridiculous)..... I could go all day.

But yeah, if I'd had to choose one then it's selling one of the best centerbacks of his generation and supreme leader in Hendry.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby simon12 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 am

Tony P wrote:
Steve Daley
Kevin Bond
Bob Taylor
Samaras

Their Mine.

Really? What's so bad about it? Not producing enough coal? Safety issues? Strikes?

As purchases mate..I thought by just typing their names alone would be scary enough!!
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 19, 2010 10:38 am

simon12 wrote:
Tony P wrote:
Steve Daley
Kevin Bond
Bob Taylor
Samaras

Their Mine.

As purchases mate..I thought by just typing their names alone would be scary enough!!

Think you missed the joke there.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Rag_hater » Wed May 19, 2010 11:07 am

Recently I'd say the substitution of Robinho against the Toffees but as people have mentioned earlier in the thread there is plenty to choose from.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby dazby » Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am

Rag_hater wrote:Recently I'd say the substitution of Robinho against the Toffees but as people have mentioned earlier in the thread there is plenty to choose from.

oooo he's got a biter.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mike J » Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:There are so many to choose from but honestly I always thought selling Colin Hendry was as fucking stupid move as any. I don't think we would've ever gone down with Hendry's öeadership and quality as central defender.

Then there's letting Coton go to Rags. Letting Flitcroft go. Not letting Lake heal properly (imo) before pushing him back again. Just about everything Frank Clark did. Steve Coppell's shower session. Signing George Weah (made us look pretty ridiculous)..... I could go all day.

But yeah, if I'd had to choose one then it's selling one of the best centerbacks of his generation and supreme leader in Hendry.

lol i must of missed this!? whats it all about!

ive heard rumours that he likes the boys a little bit!
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Mike J wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:There are so many to choose from but honestly I always thought selling Colin Hendry was as fucking stupid move as any. I don't think we would've ever gone down with Hendry's öeadership and quality as central defender.

lol i must of missed this!? whats it all about!

ive heard rumours that he likes the boys a little bit!

I forgot to add........ALLEGEDLY!

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Crossie » Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Google Steve Coppell and Mickael Frontzeck
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel