How to help England's 2018 bid.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How to help England's 2018 bid.

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 am

Dear oh dear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldc ... frica.html

England's campaign to host the 2018 World Cup was in chaos last night after the Football Association’s chairman accused Spain and Russia of planning to bribe referees in this summer’s tournament.

Lord Triesman, the former Government Minister who was given the job of trying to rebuild the FA’s scandal-hit reputation, made the extraordinary claim during an hour-long meeting with a former aide.

He divulged highly sensitive information about England’s 2018 bid – which he is leading – and, in what will be viewed as a disastrous lapse of judgment, accused rival nations of corruption.

The 66-year-old Labour peer suggested that Spain may withdraw its bid to stage the 2018 finals if Russia, which also wants to host the event, helps it to bribe referees in next month’s World Cup tournament in South Africa.

The revelations come just two days after Lord Triesman and David Beckham formally presented England’s 1,752-page ‘bid book’ to Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA, football’s world governing body.

The FA last night made a desperate attempt to secure a High Court injunction to prevent The Mail on Sunday publishing this story. But they abandoned the case after 90 minutes.

Lord Triesman made the corruption claims to Melissa Jacobs, a civil servant he employed as a private secretary when he was a Minister at the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills.

Miss Jacobs tells today how she went on a series of dinner dates with the peer shortly after he joined the FA in January 2008. She says their relationship became intimate, but she ended it after growing increasingly ‘uncomfortable’ about dating a married man. She later expressed her concerns on an internet blog in which she refers to the peer as Mr T.

Lord Triesman sent her countless affectionate texts. He described in one how he craved her company and said in another: ‘I need you’. He ended one message with ‘BKsAO’ – which 37-year-old Miss Jacobs said stood for ‘big kisses all over’.

After the relationship ended, they remained friends, and during their meeting at a restaurant in London two weeks ago, he appeared comfortable candidly discussing delicate subjects.

Lord Triesman, who sat alongside Prince William at the FA Cup final at Wembley yesterday, recounted how he clashed with Premier League bosses over foreign ownership of football clubs and accused them of ‘briefing against’ the FA.

He also talked about the John Terry scandal, when the Chelsea defender was stripped of the England captaincy after his affair with team-mate Wayne Bridge’s former partner, Vanessa Perroncel.

‘I thought it was bad behaviour and very disruptive to the team,’ he said. ‘The rest of the players pretty much felt that.’
Affair: Melissa Jacobs says she had an intimate relationship with Lord Triesman in 2008

In his conversation, which was tape-recorded, he told Miss Jacobs that when England manager Fabio Capello summoned Terry for a dressing-down the player asked: ‘Can I see you at home or at Stamford Bridge?’, and Fabio replied: ‘You’ll be at Wembley at 10.’

Lord Triesman said: ‘I didn’t ask [Capello] what he thought but I knew exactly what he would do...and he didn’t have to ask me what I thought.’

Suggesting Terry was in denial over the scandal, he added: ‘He doesn’t believe he did anything wrong at all. Doesn’t see it. His Mum and Dad tell him he didn’t do anything wrong...all his mates in Dagenham tell him [affecting a mock London accent], “You never done nothing wrong”.’

But most embarrassing – and damaging – of all Lord Triesman’s indiscreet remarks is his claim early on in the conversation that: ‘There’s some evidence that the Spanish football authorities are trying to identify the referees...and pay
them.’

Later, while discussing where England might find support for its bid for the 2018 competition, against the eight other nations hoping to host it, he repeated the bizarre claims.

‘I think the Africans we are doing very well with. I think we’re doing kind of well with some of the Asians. Probably doing well with Central and North America,’ he said.

‘My assumption is that the Latin Americans, although they’ve not said so, will vote for Spain. And if Spain drop out, because Spain are looking for help from the Russians to help bribe the referees in the World Cup, their votes may then switch to Russia.’

At this point, Miss Jacobs asks: ‘Would Russia help them with that?’

Lord Triesman: ‘Oh, I think Russia will cut deals.’

Miss Jacobs: ‘Why will Russia help? Are Russia in the World Cup?’

Lord Triesman: ‘No, they’re not.’

Miss Jacobs: ‘Oh no they’re not, they’ve got nothing to lose?’

Lord Triesman: ‘Absolutely nothing at all to lose. Exactly.’

The allegations are likely to cause outrage in Spain, one of the favourites in this summer’s tournament.

To add to the embarrassment for the FA, the chairman of FIFA’s referees’ committee – which appoints referees and their assistants for the World Cup – is Angel Marua Villa Llona, president of the Spanish FA.

Treisman’s words will therefore be perceived as an attack on FIFA and the integrity of the game, even though there no suggestion that Villa Llona would be anything other than scrupulously fair when allocating officials. Last night the Spanish Football Federation was unavailable for comment.

Alexei Sorokin, director general of the Russian Football Union and head of the country’s World Cup bid for 2018, also refused do discuss Lord Triesman’s allegations. Sorokin has made it clear that he sees England as Russia’s main rival for the finals.

The Mail on Sunday has independently determined that the issue of corruption has been discussed at an FA sub-committee.

In his conversation with Miss Jacobs, Lord Triesman said he thought his ‘friendship’ with Michel Platini, the president of the European ruling body UEFA, would help England’s bid. ‘But there are people who are probably corrupt in Europe as well,’ he warned.

He added that he was told the Latin Americans have a ‘history of extraordinary corruption’ and claims that one representative of a Latin American country, who he doesn’t identify, appears to want an ‘honorary knighthood, which we can’t, which we’ll never give’.

Miss Jacobs asks him: ‘What, in order to vote for England he wants an honorary knighthood? I don’t think the Queen will be persuaded!’

Lord Triesman: ‘Utterly unpersuadable. I’m not even going to try...

‘When the French went for the World Cup they gave this bloke the Legion d’honneur and I guess that’s their equivalent, although they hand them out very much more freely than we do.’

For several minutes Lord Triesman expresses fears about English Premiership clubs falling into dubious foreign hands.

‘I keep saying a “fit and proper person” test is really really crucial and the Premier League leadership say, if you’re not convicted of something then it’s just your judgment about whether you like them or not.’ He said the League bosses were ‘totally dismissive of my argument’.

He added that he told them: ‘The logic of the argument if you take it to its logical conclusion is Robert Mugabe will never be convicted of anything in Zimbabwe, he runs it, he could own a club, he would pass the test. Nelson Mandela on the other hand was convicted of terrorist crimes, he doesn’t want it written off his record because he’s very proud of it. Mandela can’t own a club, Mugabe can.

‘They said, ‘Oh don’t be ridiculous”,’ he added.

During the conversation Lord Triesman, a known Blairite, also speaks at some length about Gordon Brown, describing him as a ‘weird guy’ and adding: ‘I always thought he’d be a disaster as a leader, I always thought that.’

Of the former Prime Minister’s Election campaign, he says: ‘I think Gordon’s been awful.’

Elsewhere, he speaks of Capello’s decision to impose limits on the time the WAGs can spend with the England squad during the finals.

Asked by Miss Jacobs if WAGs are banned, he said: ‘Completely.’

Miss Jacobs: ‘So what do the players think about that?’

Lord Triesman: ‘I think they’re kind of relieved, actually.’

Miss Jacobs: ‘Yes in a way you can understand that because they feel under pressure to keep them amused.’

Lord Triesman: ‘Mostly they’re going to stay in Sun City, which isn’t very far from Rustenburg [where the England squad is staying]. The ones who have got wives and girlfriends, some children there, think we should look after their security.’

Miss Jacobs: ‘What? They need security?’

Lord Triesman: ‘Well, the paparazzi – they do get quite aggressive, they don’t take no for an answer. I spent a period last year being pursued myself, it was a real pain, and every time I’m with Beckham it’s...’

Miss Jacobs: ‘Crazy?'

Lord Triesman: ‘Absolutely.’

As the FA’s first independent chairman, Lord Triesman was seen as a ‘new broom’ who could restore the organisation’s reputation after a series of sex scandals and allegations of mismanagement.

He is a former student radical, a one-time member of the Communist Party who later became General Secretary of the Labour Party, which put him into frequent contact with Tony Blair, with whom he is friendly.

Within months of taking over at the FA he outlined the organisation’s aims for the next four years in a grandiose mission statement.

In it, he said: ‘We know that football can be a great ambassador for the world of sport and the best social values that sport can inspire; learning, health, social inclusion and decent personal behaviour.

‘We are committed to the ethics of our sport; fair play and respect for the laws of the game, players and officials. If we start from integrity, we will find the best course for English football as a whole.’

But Lord Triesman has had a fractious relationships with some owners of Premiership clubs.

During the conversation with Miss Jacobs he said the owners ‘send their Press people out to brief against us. Every day, all the time, never stops.’

In another exchange he said he had come up against opposition to proposals to limit the number of foreign players at English clubs.

He said: ‘So when I say we’ve not got enough English youngsters coming through, which is true, and Arsenal is probably the worst example of the lot, Wenger [Arsenal manager Arsene] and I just disagree about this, which is fine.

‘I want a really strong England team from an even bigger pool of young English eligible players coming through.

‘The Americans [the Glaziers, owners of Manchester United] immediately understand us, they fly their flag on their front lawns...they get it, they feel like that about their country and they would be shocked if I didn’t feel like that about mine. So I get a lot more co-operation out of them than I do out of the English owners.’

Of England’s preparation for South Africa 2010, he said: ‘That’s going great, really great. Capello is fantastic, great choice. He knows in his head he’s gonna win it.’
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: How to help England's 2018 bid.

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun May 16, 2010 10:35 am

Interesting about the honorary knighthood, Jack Warner? Cunt

I am sure Triesman wouldnt say that about Spain and Russia unless there was a good reason. He is an intelligent feller and knows that he has signed his own death warrant by saying what he has said unless he actually has a reason to say it.

Having read of some of the shite that goes on over world cup bids and media / sponsorship rights over the years, I have absolutely no doubt that what he is saying throughout probably has a foundation in truth. However the FIFA juggernaut will no doubt do what it always has done and muddy the waters until the issue goes away.

FIFA and the IOC are amongst the most corrupt organisations in the world, and its about time a senior figure exposed them for what they are.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun May 16, 2010 10:59 am

johnpb78 wrote:Interesting about the honorary knighthood, Jack Warner? Cunt

I am sure Triesman wouldnt say that about Spain and Russia unless there was a good reason. He is an intelligent feller and knows that he has signed his own death warrant by saying what he has said unless he actually has a reason to say it.

Having read of some of the shite that goes on over world cup bids and media / sponsorship rights over the years, I have absolutely no doubt that what he is saying throughout probably has a foundation in truth. However the FIFA juggernaut will no doubt do what it always has done and muddy the waters until the issue goes away.

FIFA and the IOC are amongst the most corrupt organisations in the world, and its about time a senior figure exposed them for what they are.

The thing is mate, that it was all said in confidence to an 'Old' friend, but by the sounds of it, was recorded and sold off/given to the press. To me it seems that he has been set-up by someone because of his views, views that I actually believe in.

It's not just FIFA and the IOC, they're all in the same bed mate and do things to suit themselves, that includes the FA and Premier League. Is it them that have actually brought these views out in the public?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun May 16, 2010 11:15 am

Beefymcfc wrote:

The thing is mate, that it was all said in confidence to an 'Old' friend, but by the sounds of it, was recorded and sold off/given to the press. To me it seems that he has been set-up by someone because of his views, views that I actually believe in.

It's not just FIFA and the IOC, they're all in the same bed mate and do things to suit themselves, that includes the FA and Premier League. Is it them that have actually brought these views out in the public?

Looks like he has fallen on his sword already. No doubt he will be paid hush money by the FA to go away quietly
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun May 16, 2010 12:07 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Looks like he has fallen on his sword already. No doubt he will be paid hush money by the FA to go away quietly

Hopefully he won't - if what he has said has any truth in it, the whole stinking lot needs exposing.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun May 16, 2010 7:32 pm

I think he's an incompetent tosser who should never have been given the job in the 1st place & should be immediately sacked.

Having said that, the way he's been set up is disgusting & the people & newspaper involved are a disgrace & are doing a disservice to the country by making this idiot's views public.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun May 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I think he's an incompetent tosser who should never have been given the job in the 1st place & should be immediately sacked.

Having said that, the way he's been set up is disgusting & the people & newspaper involved are a disgrace & are doing a disservice to the country by making this idiot's views public.

You have to wonder about the motives behind it, someone must have had a sniff that he had some views which would not reflect well on him. Perhaps the paper was tipped off by the Russian / Spanish FA in order to bring it out in public, they are pretty snidey fuckers these football associations and the dirty tricks are legendary.

You also have to wonder how the injunction wasnt granted, yet one was initially granted for John Terry having an extra marital affair. Surely it is in the national interest that this story is not made public.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun May 16, 2010 7:47 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I think he's an incompetent tosser who should never have been given the job in the 1st place & should be immediately sacked.

You have to wonder about the motives behind it, someone must have had a sniff that he had some views which would not reflect well on him. Perhaps the paper was tipped off by the Russian / Spanish FA in order to bring it out in public, they are pretty snidey fuckers these football associations and the dirty tricks are legendary.

You also have to wonder how the injunction wasnt granted, yet one was initially granted for John Terry having an extra marital affair. Surely it is in the national interest that this story is not made public.

I don't know how these things are decided but this seems a case where an individual's private views have been made public because he's been recorded without his consent. I suppose similar things happened to public figures such as Sven & Princess Di etc in the past though.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby gillie » Sun May 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Well the good old english press just have to fuck everything up again not to mention the revenue and jobs that will be lost.THANKS AGAIN YOU GUTTER SNIPES.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun May 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Can I just ask mate, what views in that statement make him an idiot? Even during a private conversation, his views seemed to echo most of our own. The F&P test, the fiddles that go on between nations to get the cup, voting bribery, John Terry, young players coming through, all of which we have discussed on here. Which views do you fing idiotic?

The truth is, he has been on the inner sanctum and all these views have been discussed at top level, meaning that they are worried about the likes of Spain helping the Russians and have a feeling that they are going to try and nobble some of the refs. They/He are obvioulsy worried about the state of English players coming through the ranks, and it shows that certain individuals are more concerned about their clubs rather than the English game.

What is most distateful about all of this is that he was set up in such a way that a private conversation, that was most certainly led by his former bird, was allowed out into the public arena, especially considering the content. The paper who ran it should be ashamed as they have just shot the 2018 World Cup campaign in the foot, just like they do with everything England. If I didn't know better, I'd swear that they are run by people who have no pride in their country or heritage, or are simply batting for the other side.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Yeah, please bribe the refs Russia, we havent got a clue how to beat England.
Might as well bribe them themselves if they really wanted to host the world cup, not leave it to fucking Russia.
Or do they go dutch for bribes too?
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby zuricity » Sun May 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Can I just ask mate, what views in that statement make him an idiot? Even during a private conversation, his views seemed to echo most of our own. The F&P test, the fiddles that go on between nations to get the cup, voting bribery, John Terry, young players coming through, all of which we have discussed on here. Which views do you fing idiotic?

The truth is, he has been on the inner sanctum and all these views have been discussed at top level, meaning that they are worried about the likes of Spain helping the Russians and have a feeling that they are going to try and nobble some of the refs. They/He are obvioulsy worried about the state of English players coming through the ranks, and it shows that certain individuals are more concerned about their clubs rather than the English game.

What is most distateful about all of this is that he was set up in such a way that a private conversation, that was most certainly led by his former bird, was allowed out into the public arena, especially considering the content. The paper who ran it should be ashamed as they have just shot the 2018 World Cup campaign in the foot, just like they do with everything England. If I didn't know better, I'd swear that they are run by people who have no pride in their country or heritage, or are simply batting for the other side.

How will this affect Mortgage rates ???

In all seriousness, The Daily Mail is a disgraceful newspaper and to publish parts of a private conversation between people is quite stupid given the nature of the subject ( Blackmail and the WC 2018).

However, it's about time some information about that little festering boil on the arse of Fifa, - one Josef Blatter , found it's way into the press. Talk about slimeballs.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sun May 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Am I the only one seeing it as unfair to Spain?
A story between stupid English Media and a stupid English human, and Spain there for the taking.
Are they trying to turn referees on Spain?!
I bet they arent happy there.
Is accusing people of bribery legal?
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby gillie » Sun May 16, 2010 10:03 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:Am I the only one seeing it as unfair to Spain?
A story between stupid English Media and a stupid English human, and Spain there for the taking.
Are they trying to turn referees on Spain?!
I bet they arent happy there.
Is accusing people of bribery legal?

No its either slanderous or libelous but in this case i suppose its slanderous as its spoken and not written.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:03 pm

So instead of attempting to investigate if anything that was said (privately) might be true and then (if proven) lift the lid on what could be a massive international scandal...The Mail hits their easiest target and damages England's credibitlity in the football world.
Whether his opinion has any truth in it and should be open to investigation.
He has been well and truly stitched up

We all have various private views and private opinions that we often air publicly on here. We do so under the cover of usernames.
he expressed a private view to someone he believed was trustworthy of that confidence.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby gillie » Sun May 16, 2010 11:09 pm

john68 wrote:So instead of attempting to investigate if anything that was said (privately) might be true and then (if proven) lift the lid on what could be a massive international scandal...The Mail hits their easiest target and damages England's credibitlity in the football world.
Whether his opinion has any truth in it and should be open to investigation.
He has been well and truly stitched up

We all have various private views and private opinions that we often air publicly on here. We do so under the cover of usernames.
he expressed a private view to someone he believed was trustworthy of that confidence.

And was royally buttfucked into the bargain by the snarling pack of hyenas that is our press and a confidant he unwisely trusted.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun May 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

It's the ramblings of a fucking stupid, useless old cunt trying to impress a woman. The bloke's a wanker who only got the job for political reasons. His handling of the whole business of the World Cup bid has been a fucking shambles & he should have been sacked before this anyway.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 17, 2010 10:52 am

Beefymcfc wrote:

Absolutely.
It's quite clear that he is just talking to a friend and why wouldn't he say a friend what he really thinks? We all tell our mates that we hate the company and the boss is a cunt while in work we smile and claim to be dead happy.

What is the most disgraceful here is how media try and sabotage your own bid and creating bullshit scandals out of nowhere. Oh, and who needs enemies when you have friends who sell private conversations to media.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Pablo Sacramento » Mon May 17, 2010 10:55 am

I think he's just an old git trying to look the big shot to a younger woman he wants to bed / is bedding.
"Twas Derby day the scores were level,
Then Foe whacked the ball to Neville,
Gary messed up and now knows for sure,
If you feed the Goat then he will score!
Pablo Sacramento
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Monkey Butlers
My favourite player is: Cassanova

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 am

Pablo Sacramento wrote:I think he's just an old git trying to look the big shot to a younger woman he wants to bed / is bedding.

Which makes the bird bit of slag having slept with him and now selling this shit to papers.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum