City coming to Baltimore this summer

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City coming to Baltimore this summer

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Forget making any fucking excuses to anyone why you support City.

I do agree though that from financial point of view usa is the wrong market to aim at. Far east is DEFINITELY the market we should try to tap into. Chinese are almost like virgins when it comes to football support and that's one sixth of world's population there. Chinese love football, are just getting into Premier League and is massively growing economy. Extended tour there might actually impress some people. Also, you see groups of Chinese travelling all over Europe these days so they'd bring in some extra match day revenue as well.

Another wise business plan would be to target India, Pakistan and rest of via area. Make us friendly club for anyone from there and first and foremost Asian community in Britain.

Then there's Japan. Those people LOVE to spend dosh. I went to Chelsea game some five years ago (we were playing in London the very same weekend) and honestly people here moan about day trippers but it seemed to me that at least where I had ticket, I was sitting with half of Asia and to say they were impressed with relatively dull 0-0 is an understatement of the century.

Now as far as the USA goes, there are fanatic supporters there as we can see from this very site but I don't feel there's really that much growth potential. They have their own sports with big crowds and I feel that for the masses in usa the franchise nature of their sports makes the biggest appeal of club football, deep rooted heritage and loyalty for life and beyond, go missing. In country as big and as diverse as USA there are bound to be people who are deep into it but as far as growth goes, those people are too few and far between to create any massive markets.

Still, from marketing point of view it's better than doing pre-season tours in Sweden or Germany. That is just pointless as people there already support clubs, either domestic or English.

I wasn't looking for excuses, just interested. I'd perhaps expect an excuse from the multitudes who live in Bristol and support Liverpool etc, considering there are so many teams between home and their chosen club, but not for an overseas team. I'm sure everyone has a few overseas teams they follow, although perhaps not to the passion that many on here show. I always look for Motherwell's results for instance, as my dad once worked for a firm based there and took me up there in the summer holidays when I was about 7. Not particularly rational and I don't really pay any attention, but when the results are coming through on a Saturday, I'm always pleased if they win.

If everything goes to plan, we'll attract a lot more overseas supporters going forwards, but the ones who've supported City since Fifa 05 etc can at least state categorically that they aren't a glory hunter in years to come.

I agree with you about the need to extend to the likes of China and India though. That region has around a third of the world's population and most are probably just finding their way into football and have no particular allegiance to any team. If we're looking to make money, I suspect that could be a better bet than the USA, not that we should ignore any potential market. The other thing with Asia is that, with so many people, statistically, the next Messi or Pele is more likely to come from there, if you accept that the raw talent is something you have to be born with. To date, there has been less opportunity to flourish than in south America or even Africa, but if that changes, there could be a huge pool of future talent.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ant london » Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 pm

funny this....I'd never remotely question what right a foreign (or non-Manc) had for supporting city or even need any clarification as to "why City"

the only question I'd ask was "why the fuck didn't you choose a decent team"??? and i'd think you a bit strange for "choosing" to follow who lots of us had no choice about supporting. Fucking idiots
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:16 pm

ant london wrote:funny this....I'd never remotely question what right a foreign (or non-Manc) had for supporting city or even need any clarification as to "why City"

the only question I'd ask was "why the fuck didn't you choose a decent team"??? and i'd think you a bit strange for "choosing" to follow who lots of us had no choice about supporting. Fucking idiots

I'm not asking what right they have, I'm sort of asking your second point - I sometimes wonder why the hell I support them myself and then blame my dad. In years to come, it should be obvious what the attraction of City was, so I was interested in what the spark was to date. I've avoided asking anyone individually, as it could be seen as some sort of accusation, so it was a general question to anyone not from Manchester. Similarly, to any City fans, do you support anyone else and why? Was it to do with the "matchday experience" or something less tangible?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Tue May 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
kinkylola wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Question for all the American fans - why do you support City? Some of you have been on here for a few years, so you're not fans because of the money. Is it family connections, Claudio Reyna or did you just enjoy Pearce's attacking football?

I did it because I enjoy reading comments from fucks like you obviously.

fuck off.

Thanks for moving the discussion forward. To clarify, this wasn't a dig at anyone or trying to make out anyone is a glory hunter (obviously). As I stated, a lot of the American fans have been on here a few years, well before the money, so why choose City? If the premier league is big on TV in the US, I can understand people picking a team, but we've hardly been the most attractive. Often it can be a single game that attaches someone to a foreign team, so it was a genuine question about why City.

Fucking bandwagoners the lot of em.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue May 25, 2010 4:17 pm

got my tickets for the baltimore match yesterday.

as far as "why city?" one of my best friends has been a huge gooner as long as i can remember, and he had been getting on me to get into the Premier League. so in August/September 2007, i decided i was going to pick a team and stick with them. i ruled out the big 4 so i wouldn't be accused of being some sort of glory hunter, then looked for a team likely to stay in the premiership (good luck following a championship club from the US), a team with some money (frank, at least it looked like he had money at that point), and a team with some good young players (micah, michael johnson). it came down to city, villa, and newcastle for me. pretty happy with my choice.

and 76, you may be asking legitimate questions, but you've come off as a bit of a dick since your first anti-american post on this thread. if you don't want to piss off all of the americans i'd check your tone when you post. the vast majority of the people on this thread have been more than gracious to us americans, so no hard feelings, but just trying to point out to you where the hostility is coming from.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:24 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:got my tickets for the baltimore match yesterday.

as far as "why city?" one of my best friends has been a huge gooner as long as i can remember, and he had been getting on me to get into the Premier League. so in August/September 2007, i decided i was going to pick a team and stick with them. i ruled out the big 4 so i wouldn't be accused of being some sort of glory hunter, then looked for a team likely to stay in the premiership (good luck following a championship club from the US), a team with some money (frank, at least it looked like he had money at that point), and a team with some good young players (micah, michael johnson). it came down to city, villa, and newcastle for me. pretty happy with my choice.

and 76, you may be asking legitimate questions, but you've come off as a bit of a dick since your first anti-american post on this thread. if you don't want to piss off all of the americans i'd check your tone when you post. the vast majority of the people on this thread have been more than gracious to us americans, so no hard feelings, but just trying to point out to you where the hostility is coming from.

Yeah, I apologised for that. I was trying to start a bit of banter ahead of the world cup match, but that's the problem with emails and the like - there's no tone in them, so what sounds ok and jokey in my head can seem really offensive to someone reading it with a different emphasis on some of the words. The only way out is to go for smileys and I refuse to go down that path.

Hope you enjoy the game on your side of the pond - annoyingly, you'll probably get to see all the new players in a (new) City shirt before we do.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue May 25, 2010 4:46 pm

i'm actually shocked at how many games i get on the telly over here - i bet i get to watch close to half of the matches on live tv - between espn and fsc (fox soccer channel), there are at least 3 PL games on Saturdays, and usually 1 or 2 Sundays, plus midweek games.

i'm really looking forward to the match in july - i'm actually supposed to be driving between vacations that day, but we're going 3 hours out of the way so i can see them play.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Slim » Tue May 25, 2010 5:10 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:i'm actually shocked at how many games i get on the telly over here - i bet i get to watch close to half of the matches on live tv - between espn and fsc (fox soccer channel), there are at least 3 PL games on Saturdays, and usually 1 or 2 Sundays, plus midweek games.

i'm really looking forward to the match in july - i'm actually supposed to be driving between vacations that day, but we're going 3 hours out of the way so i can see them play.

Last season we got all 38 league games over here, very happy.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 25, 2010 5:17 pm

Slim wrote:
BmoreBlue wrote:i'm actually shocked at how many games i get on the telly over here - i bet i get to watch close to half of the matches on live tv - between espn and fsc (fox soccer channel), there are at least 3 PL games on Saturdays, and usually 1 or 2 Sundays, plus midweek games.

West ham away as well? Think we got 37 other league games but missed West Ham completely. Not even shown afterwards. Gutted.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Tue May 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Slim wrote:

West ham away as well? Think we got 37 other league games but missed West Ham completely. Not even shown afterwards. Gutted.

Yeah, last round we had Spurs, Filth, Chelsea, City and Arsenal on viewers choice.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 26, 2010 3:39 am

with ESPN, Fox, and Setanta now FSP i think i caught every league match. Can't think of one that wasn't televised.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Michigan Blue » Wed May 26, 2010 4:20 am

We got all 38 live here in the States apart from Fulham away, which was tape delayed by an hour. Yes, I keep track of these things.

In fact the only competitive games that weren't shown here were the first three League Cup games and the Stoke replay. Impossible to complain really.

I have family in the Beltway and got my Baltimore tickets today, and in the "City supporters" section. So excited for this one. Will be my second City game in person, the first being a 4-2 win over Coventry at Maine Road in '02. Watched the Huckerby goal in my avatar from the Main Stand, then later that night naively paraded around Manchester in full colors before being politely told to fuck off by a bouncer. No one on the street bothered me all night though, further anecdotal proof that there are no rags living in Mancunia.

Any Blues looking to meet up in a boozer before the Baltimore game, just say the word. It ain't easy finding a kindred spirit over here.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 26, 2010 4:49 am

Michigan Blue wrote:We got all 38 live here in the States apart from Fulham away, which was tape delayed by an hour. Yes, I keep track of these things.

In fact the only competitive games that weren't shown here were the first three League Cup games and the Stoke replay. Impossible to complain really.

I have family in the Beltway and got my Baltimore tickets today, and in the "City supporters" section. So excited for this one. Will be my second City game in person, the first being a 4-2 win over Coventry at Maine Road in '02. Watched the Huckerby goal in my avatar from the Main Stand, then later that night naively paraded around Manchester in full colors before being politely told to fuck off by a bouncer. No one on the street bothered me all night though, further anecdotal proof that there are no rags living in Mancunia.

Any Blues looking to meet up in a boozer before the Baltimore game, just say the word. It ain't easy finding a kindred spirit over here.

i might be in Bmore if i can situation things. This is getting pretty fuclin tricky with work, vacation with the family and the fact that the matches are on the weekends. I'll PM you once i know if i am getting tix to Bmore as well as NY.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum