***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

Postby Exiled » Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 am

So the club season is effectively over for us all. Might as well move on to the World Cup finals.

The teams:

AFC (4 teams):
Australia
Japan
Korea DPR
Korea Republic

CAF (6 teams):
Algeria
Cameroon
Côte d'Ivoire
Ghana
Nigeria
South Africa (hosts)

CONCACAF (3 teams)
Honduras
Mexico
United States

CONMEBOL (5 teams)
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Paraguay
Uruguay

OFC (1 team)
New Zealand

UEFA (13 teams)
Denmark
England
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Portugal
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland

Schedule here: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

So,.......

Who do you want to win?

If you were a betting man, who would you put money on to win?

Which high profile team do you think will fall flat on their arses?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Exiled on Tue May 11, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exiled
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City

Re: 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP 2010 thread

Postby Slim » Tue May 11, 2010 8:36 am

Who do you want to win? England of course

If you were a betting man, who would you put money on to win? Spain

Which high profile team do you think will fall flat on their arses? Portugal

Which low ranked team will overachieve? Chile
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Tue May 11, 2010 8:36 am

A couple of points

Is this thread *OFFICIAL*?

Why are there two 2010's? is it the 2010th world cup taking place in the year 2010?

Could you not group the teams into their actual groups rather than the (now completely irrelevant) qualifying regions

Sort that lot out and maybe you'll get some input ;-)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Exiled » Tue May 11, 2010 8:38 am

I want ENGLAND to win. My home country. I think they will have as good a chance as any time in recent memory. Capello has them organised and despite a number of injuries, I think he will do a great job using whatever players are available.

I worry about who is going to be our goalkeeper more than anything else. We're in a transition period for this key area. I'd possibly hand the job to Joe Hart despite his lack of appearances. Green, James and Kirkland have all had bad seasons shipping in the goals. Foster is a ManU reserve who doesn't get enough match time. Hart has had a great season and has been one of the reasons Birmingham City did so well this season. His confidence is sky high and his future is safe (either remain at Brum or be recalled by City - nothing to worry about). The position will still be a weakpoint no matter who is in goal, but he could be the surprise star of the team.

I would bet on Germany to win. Not because I think they are the best team but they are always thereabouts and their odds are really good (14-1 I saw recently). They are a strong team and nearly always get some spawny win from somewhere to keep them in contention.

I think Portugal might fail at the first hurdle, if the Ivory Coast play well.
Exiled

Postby Exiled » Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 am

ant london wrote:A couple of points

Is this thread *OFFICIAL*?

Why are there two 2010's? is it the 2010th world cup taking place in the year 2010?

Could you not group the teams into their actual groups rather than the (now completely irrelevant) qualifying regions

Sort that lot out and maybe you'll get some input ;-)

Don't really care whether it the OFFICIAL or not and the easiest cut'n'paste for the teams were that. I did add the link to the schedule. Just wanted to get something going during the build up. I'll change the thread to 'OFFICIAL'.
Exiled

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 11, 2010 8:53 am

Who do you want to win? Hopefully a team that plays positive and entertaining football. Honestly, I hope it's England's turn as you boys deserve to win it once in every 50 years.

If you were a betting man, who would you put money on to win? Spain seems like the team to beat right now. Don't see many weaknesses in their team. Quite similar to France in late-90's. Argentine SHOULD be there with the players they have got (apart from keeper maybe) and with a decent manager they'd be my bet. However with Maradona in charge, there's every chance they might not be able to get there. In fact, it could go pear shaped BIG time.

Which high profile team do you think will fall flat on their arses? Greece are a shit team who play shit football and are there because of their ridiculously high FIFA ranking and easy qualifying group. They really represent the loophole in Fifa's ranking system and I hope they fall flat on their arse and slide to where they belong in future draws. And I think it will happen as well.

Which low ranked team will overachieve? Ivory Coast. They have really really good squad. If they'd have even half decent goalkeeper, they'd actually be my outside bet to make it into final. In very untypical African fashion they have extremely strong defence with Toure, Eboue, Demel and Boka and Zokora and Yaya in front of them. And Drogba, Kalou, Kone and Dindane will mean that there will be no shortage of goals.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

Postby ant london » Tue May 11, 2010 8:58 am

haha only joking mate

Anyway...

I think that the winners could well be Argentina in a bizarre phoenix from the flames (or their qualifying campaign) shambles

I would like them to ceremoniously dump Brazil out of the competition....I'd also be quite tickled if Spain got turned over and reverted to their "we are rubbish in tournaments" usual self

I'd obviously like England to win it.....it would be brilliant if an African side won but I can't see it happening. Ghana with a fit Essien would be a decent outside bet but without him I don't think they have enough to perform right through the competition. The other African sides are pretty flawed in various ways and I can't see them getting past the QFs.

I'm being made to passively cheer on Australia (in a trade off for making my blonde friend cheer on England) but as they have Germany and Ghana in their group I don't think that shall last long!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Exiled » Tue May 11, 2010 9:23 am

ant london wrote:haha only joking mate

You know, I didn't even realise I originally put 2010 twice in the original title. :-)
Exiled

Postby Exiled » Tue May 11, 2010 9:26 am

Spain's provisional 30 man squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villarreal), Jose Reina (Liverpool) Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid) Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergi Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao) Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi (Barcelona).

Forwards: Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia) Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Dani Guiza (Fenerbache) Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool FC) and David Villa (Valencia).

Some serious quality there.
Exiled

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

Exiled wrote:Spain's provisional 30 man squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villarreal), Jose Reina (Liverpool) Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid) Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergi Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao) Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi (Barcelona).

Forwards: Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia) Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Dani Guiza (Fenerbache) Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool FC) and David Villa (Valencia).

Look at that midfield. JEEZES.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 am

I'd take the lot, including Senna who must be pushing 35 by now.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 am

Who do you want to win? HUP HUP HOLLAND!

If you were a betting man, who would you put money on to win? Germany

Which high profile team do you think will fall flat on their arses? Holland

Which low ranked team will overachieve? Denmark
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Manx Blue » Tue May 11, 2010 11:44 am

From AJ's facebook, so I don't know if this is gospel but it does omit Barry

Probable squad(30 men for England): Green, James, Hart, G Johnson, Carragher, A Cole, Baines, Terry, Ferdinand, King, Jagielka, Upson, Dawson, Lennon, Walcott, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Huddlestone, Milner, Hargreaves, A Johnson, Downing, Wright-Phillips, Shrek, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey, C Cole, Bent
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Manx Blue » Tue May 11, 2010 12:34 pm

JOHNNO IN TRAINING SQUAD....Barry in too

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Wooders » Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Isn't Navas the geezer who can't leave Sevilla (the city)??
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby HeyMark » Tue May 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Wooders wrote:

Yea thats him, apparently he's starting to overcome his home sickness a bit, but I can see him being cut from the squad anyway
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Wooders wrote:

I think he was suffering from bad panic attacks or something like. Had hard time travelling or something like that. I can't quite remember, but there was something wrong with him for sure. Anyone know better or could google?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby HeyMark » Tue May 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Who do you want to win? With the City influence in the squad I might have to do the unthinkable and support England this year

If you were a betting man, who would you put money on to win? Holland

Which high profile team do you think will fall flat on their arses? Argentina

Which low ranked team will overachieve? Ghana
HeyMark

Postby Manx Blue » Tue May 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Squad list

Goalkeepers
Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green
Defenders
Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips
Forwards
Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Manx Blue

Postby HeyMark » Tue May 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Manx Blue wrote:Squad list

Goalkeepers
Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green
Defenders
Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips
Forwards
Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Baines/Warnock
Dawson
Carrick
Huddlestone
SWP
Parker
Bent

Think thats the 7 who will be cut before the finas
HeyMark