P.E.R.S.P.E.C.T.I.V.E. - Excellent Telegraph Article

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

P.E.R.S.P.E.C.T.I.V.E. - Excellent Telegraph Article

Postby Socrates » Thu May 06, 2010 9:05 am

Roberto Mancini ready to ride the storm at Manchester City

Manchester City’s failure to qualify for the Champions League will lead to a summer clear-out at Eastlands but, crucially, the axe is likely to be wielded by Roberto Mancini rather than his ambitious bosses.

Having seen Tottenham emerge from the City of Manchester Stadium with a deserved 1-0 victory that secures a top four finish for Harry Redknapp’s team, Mancini entered his post-match press conference on Wednesday evening knowing exactly what was coming his way.

Do you expect to be in charge of City at the start of next season?

Surprisingly, it was the second question, rather than the first, but when you manage Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan’s Manchester City, that kind of impatient probing goes with the terrain.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the dismissal of Mark Hughes as manager last December, the Welshman could never argue that he failed to receive total backing from Abu Dhabi when it came to the transfer market.

Inherited as the appointment of the previous regime, Hughes was never Sheikh Mansour’s man, but he was certainly given the time to make his mark.

Some will argue he was on course to do that, others will point to the alarming loss of form in the autumn that saw City draw at home to the might of Burnley and Hull City, two teams who have since been relegated by some distance.

But the key factor in Hughes’s dismissal was that the sheikh and his advisors had identified a malaise that the manager appeared unable to eradicate.

Out he went and in came Mancini, but despite the storm clouds gathering over Eastlands in the wake of City’s failure to deliver the Champions League, the Italian’s position is not under threat.

He will be given the time and money this summer to transform his team and install the players he believes can take City to the next level.

In January, his only transfer window so far, Mancini was restricted to signing only Patrick Vieira on a free and Adam Johnson from Middlesbrough for £7m.

Johnson has been an outstanding success – even if he was identified by City’s football administrator, Brian Marwood – while Vieira has shown glimpses of the experience he was brought in to add.

Clearly, Mancini has not yet had the advantage of Sheikh Mansour’s transfer market muscle, but he will be given that this summer.

And that is why the Eastlands clear-out will be masterminded by Mancini rather than the sheikh. The faces need to change, but only on the pitch.

Against Spurs on Wednesday, only Carlos Tevez truly resembled the kind of top-class player that City will need if they are to play in the Champions League.

City were outplayed and outclassed by a Spurs team that has grown together over the past two years. The time and patience afforded to manager Harry Redknapp showed through as his team comfortably overcame City.

Mancini knows City lack top-level experience and nous. When he recruits this summer, he will be looking for the players who will add the missing ingredients.

So that can only spell bad news for the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha.

All four have come through the ranks at Eastlands – Wright-Phillips has since enjoyed a spell at Chelsea – but their reputations have not been matched by their deeds.

They proved to be great players as City challenged for a top ten finish under previous regimes, but they just do not match up to the club’s new ambitions.

None are good enough for the Champions League. Wright-Phillips proved his own short-comings at that level at Chelsea.

They were all good for their time at Eastlands, but time has moved on. It may also move on for the expensively-acquired Gareth Barry, Kolo Toure and Wayne Bridge. Perhaps Craig Bellamy too.

All are good Premier League footballers, but none are likely to worry opponents in the Champions League.

Yes, City are now looking ahead to the Europa League next season, but they will be building for the next level. Mancini will not be signing players who can perform in the Europa League.

City’s ambitions demand that and Mancini, a Champions League manager at Inter, knows what it takes.

But for those who still doubt Mancini’s future and believe Hughes was treated shabbily, just bear in mind the following numbers.

When Hughes sat down with chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak at the start of the season, a target of 70 points for the season was agreed as the minimum requirement – the magic number for Champions League qualification.

On Hughes’s dismissal, City had collected 29 points from 17 games, claiming an average of 1.7 points a game. Projected over a season, Hughes’s team was on course to collect 65 points.

Mancini, on the other hand, has delivered 37 points from 20 games in charge, an average of 1.85 a game.

Projected over a season, that would bring 70.3 points.

City will end the campaign on 69 points if they beat West Ham on Sunday, one short of the 70 point target.

Had Mancini been recruited earlier, City might just have made it to the Champions League after all.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mark ... ster-city/
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Re: P.E.R.S.P.E.C.T.I.V.E. - Excellent Telegraph Article

Postby Socrates » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 am

Mancini's position confirmed in the Grauniad...

Roberto Mancini told his Manchester City job is safe

• No plans to replace City manager after 1-0 defeat to Spurs
• Khaldoon Al Mubarak confident of success next season

Roberto Mancini has been assured he will remain as manager of Manchester City despite his failure to lead the team into the Champions League.

City's 1-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur last night means the richest club in English football will have to settle for next season's Europa League but the chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, says there are no plans to replace the former Internazionale manager.

He and the chief executive, Garry Cook, both went into the dressing room after the game to thank the players for their efforts and Khaldoon told them he was confident that, under Mancini, they would be in a better position to break into the Premier League's top four next season.

That support will be reiterated in an interview with the club's official website, to be pubished later today, in which Khaldoon expresses his support for Mancini and makes it clear that the club's owners in Abu Dhabi are going to give him more time.

Mancini, meanwhile, is already planning to bring his wife, Federica, over to England in September and is renting a house in Manchester after spending his first few months in a city-centre hotel.

He was asked after yesterday's game whether he was worried about losing his job and replied: "I'm confident. I think I will stay here. Why not? I have worked here five months and you don't start from the roof but the basement. We have worked very well and we are near the roof now. But I am not a magician and I don't have a magic wand. We wanted this [fourth] place, just like Liverpool and Aston Villa, but this is football."
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu May 06, 2010 10:47 am

Socrates wrote:Mancini's position confirmed in the Grauniad...

Roberto Mancini has been assured he will remain as manager of Manchester City despite his failure to lead the team into the Champions League.

City's 1-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur last night means the richest club in English football will have to settle for next season's Europa League but the chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, says there are no plans to replace the former Internazionale manager.

He and the chief executive, Garry Cook, both went into the dressing room after the game to thank the players for their efforts and Khaldoon told them he was confident that, under Mancini, they would be in a better position to break into the Premier League's top four next season.

That support will be reiterated in an interview with the club's official website, to be pubished later today, in which Khaldoon expresses his support for Mancini and makes it clear that the club's owners in Abu Dhabi are going to give him more time.

Mancini, meanwhile, is already planning to bring his wife, Federica, over to England in September and is renting a house in Manchester after spending his first few months in a city-centre hotel.

He was asked after yesterday's game whether he was worried about losing his job and replied: "I'm confident. I think I will stay here. Why not? I have worked here five months and you don't start from the roof but the basement. We have worked very well and we are near the roof now. But I am not a magician and I don't have a magic wand. We wanted this [fourth] place, just like Liverpool and Aston Villa, but this is football."

In all fairness this story is blatently lifted off Bluemoon, based on a post by tolmie's hardoo to be more precise: http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 1&t=174696
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 06, 2010 10:52 am

Glad it's getting sorted at last.

Interesting that bloke mentioning Bellamy as someone who may struggle in the Chump's league. Not sure Liverpool fans would agree with that.

Also, if we get rid of SWP, Ireland, Micah & Ned now, won't we be short of home grown players for the quota in Europe? Surely we need to keep at least some of them until the next academy players come through?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bluez » Thu May 06, 2010 10:55 am

If the owners are going to back Mancini, the best thing they could do would be to get the statement on the club website today 100% stating he will be here next season. That way we can get rid of all speculation and really stat planning with a stable base.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mike J » Thu May 06, 2010 11:47 am

avoidconfusion wrote:
Socrates wrote:Mancini's position confirmed in the Grauniad...

In all fairness this story is blatently lifted off Bluemoon, based on a post by tolmie's hardoo to be more precise: http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 1&t=174696

'tolmies hairdoo' the guy that said we were definately getting hart back.

he knows FUCK ALL like the rest of them.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 am

Looking forward to seeing 'Federica' already.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby btajim » Thu May 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Glad it's getting sorted at last.

Interesting that bloke mentioning Bellamy as someone who may struggle in the Chump's league. Not sure Liverpool fans would agree with that.

Also, if we get rid of SWP, Ireland, Micah & Ned now, won't we be short of home grown players for the quota in Europe? Surely we need to keep at least some of them until the next academy players come through?

We can sign English Players, though. Lescott and Barry came in etc.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 pm

btajim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Glad it's getting sorted at last.

We can sign English Players, though. Lescott and Barry came in etc.

Micah, Ned, SWP and Ireland, all of whom have got European and international experience, are players "formed" at City, to use platini-speak (come through the Academy to normal people). I believe four is the required number from the 25 players you are allowed to register. Was there some talk of this quota going up in the future...? Weiss, Mak, Nimely and Boyata could be useful additions. I believe Boyata certainly has what is needed to make it very big.

Going back to the article as posted by Socrates, I would argue that over the 90 minutes as a whole we were not outplayed or outclassed. In the last 20 minutes yes, the other 70 most definitely not. The first half stats as I saw them were convincingly in our favour as was the overall balance of play and Fulop had nothing to do but deal with passes from his defenders for over an hour but hey, let's ignore that and remember only the last third of the game.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby btajim » Thu May 06, 2010 12:56 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Going back to the article as posted by Socrates, I would argue that over the 90 minutes as a whole we were not outplayed or outclassed. In the last 20 minutes yes, the other 70 most definitely not. The first half stats as I saw them were convincingly in our favour as was the overall balance of play and Fulop had nothing to do but deal with passes from his defenders for over an hour but hey, let's ignore that and remember only the last third of the game.

Tottenham were the Away side and played like it. i.e. Let us come at them but gobbled everything up and hit whenever they could. How much was wrong with that disallowed Goal in the first half? Seemed OK to me. They then took it to us when we were tiring.

We could have played brilliantly - yet if we didn't score then we weren't going to win.

Redknapp had them organised.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu May 06, 2010 1:03 pm

btajim wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:Going back to the article as posted by Socrates, I would argue that over the 90 minutes as a whole we were not outplayed or outclassed. In the last 20 minutes yes, the other 70 most definitely not. The first half stats as I saw them were convincingly in our favour as was the overall balance of play and Fulop had nothing to do but deal with passes from his defenders for over an hour but hey, let's ignore that and remember only the last third of the game.

Tottenham were the Away side and played like it. i.e. Let us come at them but gobbled everything up and hit whenever they could. How much was wrong with that disallowed Goal in the first half? Seemed OK to me. They then took it to us when we were tiring.

We could have played brilliantly - yet if we didn't score then we weren't going to win.

I thought they took it over only when we had a passenger (take a bow Patrick).

I also thought that nasty little piece of work huddlestone should have been sent off for his deliberate stamp, which is also conveniently ignored.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Patrick » Thu May 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
btajim wrote:

I also thought that nasty little piece of work huddlestone should have been sent off for his deliberate stamp, which is also conveniently ignored.

ITHANGYOU
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby btajim » Thu May 06, 2010 2:10 pm

Patrick wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
btajim wrote:Tottenham were the Away side and played like it. i.e. Let us come at them but gobbled everything up and hit whenever they could. How much was wrong with that disallowed Goal in the first half? Seemed OK to me. They then took it to us when we were tiring.

ITHANGYOU

Why? Their first Goal was harshly ruled out and Tottenham hit us when we ran out of steam.

How many chances did we create? How often did we look like scoring? Were the pair of you happy with what you saw last night?

Tottenham deserved to win that Match.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu May 06, 2010 4:03 pm

btajim wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
btajim wrote:Tottenham were the Away side and played like it. i.e. Let us come at them but gobbled everything up and hit whenever they could. How much was wrong with that disallowed Goal in the first half? Seemed OK to me. They then took it to us when we were tiring.

ITHANGYOU

Why? Their first Goal was harshly ruled out and Tottenham hit us when we ran out of steam.

How many chances did we create? How often did we look like scoring? Were the pair of you happy with what you saw last night?

Tottenham deserved to win that Match.

hahaha funny as.
Well in Jim.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby brite blu sky » Thu May 06, 2010 4:39 pm

original article is a pile of tosh.

we were not outplayed or outclassed, spurs showed more experience as a team thats all.

as for the part about a player clearout.. never read so much rubbish in all my life.

GO LISTEN TO THE KHALDOON INTERVIEW AND MAKE YOUR OWN MINDS UP

imo this is an underhand dig a City to try and further unsettle the players and club.. there is no logic in getting rid of your players so you can develop and grow. I hope our players read this stuff and go and prove these press parasites to be what they truly are.

DIRT
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Socrates » Thu May 06, 2010 5:57 pm

They were the better team last night and throughout the run in so I think it is fair to say they deserved it. We are now very close though and the article makes clear that Mancini's results were good enough for 4th. Seems fair enough to me.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby The Original Special One » Thu May 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I think the writer is spot on with regards to EVERY player he's mentioned could be on the way out.
(and I wouldn't shed any tears over any of them leaving, with the possible exception of Bellers, but, at best, we'll only get 30 decent games out of him in a season)

Nobody here can convince me that Gareth Barry should be the lynchpin of our central midfield, which is one of the 3 or 4 key positions in any team.
Perhaps if he's shifted to left back there might be a place for him.

I'm not a Manchester native, or English, so I'm always going to be more impartial than most here with regards to our Academy graduates.
But although I'm Irish, I don't have any problem with Ireland not wanting to play for Ireland.
If he's not happy about it.

Unfortunately the reasons why he doesn't want to play for his native country are probably inextricably linked to the reason why he didn't cement his reputation during this past season.

The lad is a hugely gifted player, one of the most gifted I've seen in 40+ years of watching football.
Roy Keane, who is from the same part of Ireland and who many on here hate, had only a fraction of Ireland's talent.
But he'll probably always be a better player.

Because he imposed himself: demanded the ball, and made his teammates give him the ball.

Sadly, I think 'Superman' will never be able to do that.

Perhaps somebody like Roberto Martinez will rescue him, and make him the focal point of his team.
And we can all enjoy watching him play.

Even if, like Dunney, he's determined to prove us wrong for selling him

And we can't get rid of Wayne Bridge quickly enough, in my opinion
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Dameerto » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm

It's an articulate attempt at subverting the fans and undermining the club. I'm not sure how he could say that about Barry if he actually WATCHED the Spurs match unless he had a veiled axe to grind.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Renato_CTID » Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 pm

john@staustell wrote:Looking forward to seeing 'Federica' already.

She'll go at the Saverian college for sure next autumn, mate! :)
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby btajim » Fri May 07, 2010 7:21 am

brite blu sky wrote:GO LISTEN TO THE KHALDOON INTERVIEW AND MAKE YOUR OWN MINDS UP

Why? They publically backed Hughes yet sacked him due to some draws. Mancini might lose two on the bounce next season to lesser sides and be given his cards.

I don't trust anything at Manchester City anymore. Except the Sheikh's money.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum