The Incomparable Stuart Hall

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Incomparable Stuart Hall

Postby Kladze » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Slim wrote:
guv111 wrote:I find him a bit embarrassing, if I'm to be honest. Nice to have someone who is erudite amongst all the usual thickoes, but his banging on about "The Theatre of Base Comedy" over the decades has done us no favours at all.

I think he epitomizes the self deprecating humour that has made City fans a cut above for years. Barely anyone gets one over on us cause we are too damn good at making fun of ourselves, sadly this is something I have noticed waning in the last couple of years as we get very serious about our success.

Something, sadly, that we might have to get used to.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby ant london » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Slim wrote:Barely anyone gets one over on us cause we are too damn good at making fun of ourselves, sadly this is something I have noticed waning in the last couple of years as we get very serious about our success.

true dat
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby guv111 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Slim wrote:
guv111 wrote:I find him a bit embarrassing, if I'm to be honest. Nice to have someone who is erudite amongst all the usual thickoes, but his banging on about "The Theatre of Base Comedy" over the decades has done us no favours at all.

I think he epitomizes the self deprecating humour that has made City fans a cut above for years. Barely anyone gets one over on us cause we are too damn good at making fun of ourselves, sadly this is something I have noticed waning in the last couple of years as we get very serious about our success.

I never really wanted us to be a safe, cuddly club for others to patronise, though. I preferred us in the seventies - what we became after that isn't what I was a fan of originally.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Slim » Mon May 03, 2010 1:56 pm

guv111 wrote:
Slim wrote:

I never really wanted us to be a safe, cuddly club for others to patronise, though. I preferred us in the seventies - what we became after that isn't what I was a fan of originally.

Aren't you the same age as me? I can barely remember the 70's at all. One of my earliest memories was the 81 Cup final...how was that for fucking comedy gold? YCMIU
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby guv111 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Slim wrote:Aren't you the same age as me? I can barely remember the 70's at all. One of my earliest memories was the 81 Cup final...how was that for fucking comedy gold? YCMIU

I'm... deep breath... 48. Unfortunately, I was in deepest Shetland in 1981, working, and I never got to see the Cup Final or the replay. I must admit, the 70s are a bit of a blur for me too, though I remember us coming oh so close to winning the league in 1978 or 1979 (quick check... ah, it was 1976/77). So, I was fifteen the last time we NEARLY won the league. Time for us to man the fuck up! He he.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby john@staustell » Mon May 03, 2010 3:44 pm

He invented the 'Theatre of Comedy' phrase, which I thought was taking self-abuse a little far.

Mind you he was probably right.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Stuart Hall is a one off hero. He does epitomise that self deprecating humour of the past failure that we clung to.
I dealy hope that as we attain greatness, we keep that humour alive and never ever become as arrogant and as self obsessed as the rags.
Success should be fun...we should enjoy the laughter that comes with winning.
As we look down from the top, we should remember where we came from.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby brite blu sky » Mon May 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Kladze wrote:
Slim wrote:

something we may just have to not allow to happen.. im sure we can come up with some good ones to help keep our feet on the ground..

i heard there was a massive influx of City fans viewing houses to buy in deepest Cheshire on Sunday ;)
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby irblinx » Mon May 03, 2010 6:02 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Kladze wrote:
Slim wrote:

something we may just have to not allow to happen.. im sure we can come up with some good ones to help keep our feet on the ground..

i heard there was a massive influx of City fans viewing houses to buy in deepest Cheshire on Sunday ;)

There was definite signs of trench humour today in the queue, despite a lot of ill feeling (I'm just pissed off at the way the club have gone about it whereas a LOT of people are well pissed off at having to move from seats that they've sat in for years, even at Maine Road and still more that are going to struggle to afford their new seats next year without the £50 subsidy) there was a lot of very funny banter and definitely in the self depreciating vein
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby One cap Whitey » Mon May 03, 2010 6:04 pm

His reports have always been top notch. Its especially good to have someone on our side out there at the moment. I'm sure he'll conjure up a new name for our place when we do start winning stuff.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum