Zaba issues battle cry

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Zaba issues battle cry

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Pablo Zabaleta says there will be no margin for error in the final days of the campaign as the Blues prepare for the first of what are in effect three cup finals.

With the intriguing battle for fourth likely take further twists before the final round of matches a week on Sunday, City’s other popular Argentine star is urging his team-mates to dig deep tomorrow.

“It is great to get to this stage and our destiny still be in our own hands,” said Zabaleta. “Aston Villa are a very good side with great attacking players and like us, they believe they can qualify for the Champions League.

“It will be a really tough game because they don’t lose very often and like to hit you quickly on the break. Of course, we are aware of that, but we have to win this game and I believe we will if we play anywhere near our best.”

Defensively, the Blues looked very solid at the Emirates last week and more of the same will be needed against Messrs Agbonlahor, Carew, Young and Milner on Saturday.

“We defended as a unit really well at Arsenal – maybe as well as we have done all season,” he said.

"We were actually a little disappointed
that we didn’t come away with a
victory and felt it was two points
dropped, but the race for fourth
position is still very tight and we are
right in the mix"

“That point could be the one that makes the difference in the end – we won’t know until the final table is published. Now we have two huge home games coming up within the space of a few days and we need six points.”

Something of an unsung hero, Zabaleta is becoming the Blues’ Mr Versatile, able to slot in several positions if and when required.

“If I had to choose my favourite role I’d probably say right-back, because that’s my natural position, but I’m happy to play on the left or in midfield if the manager needs me to.

“I think it’s good for the boss to be able to move players around to fill in if neccessary and I’m happy to adapt.

“The team is really coming together and on a personal level, I’m always trying to improve my game and do the best I can every time I play.

“I’m desperate to play in the last three games so I can help the club into fourth spot because we are ready for it and our supporters deserve the best.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Zaba issues battle cry

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Surprised it took till 5pm for the club to get this out.

And where is soundbite De Jong today?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:55 pm

johnpb78 wrote:Surprised it took till 5pm for the club to get this out.

Nigel will still be celebrating his training goal today.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:03 pm

actually good words from Zabba.. especially about the two points dropped at the Emirates

this is the right kind of thinking
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 pm

brite blu sky wrote:actually good words from Zabba.. especially about the two points dropped at the Emirates

It is mate and this is what makes it all the more frustrating - the players know they can win these games, but they are being restricted
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:30 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:actually good words from Zabba.. especially about the two points dropped at the Emirates

It is mate and this is what makes it all the more frustrating - the players know they can win these games, but they are being restricted

I wonder if that is what they really think?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:33 pm

johnpb78 wrote:

i agree with you tbh but also feel that we are being impatient for it to all fall into place.. i am sure that the players also feel that impatience as frustration.. they do know they can do it.. and imo they are getting closer to being able to switch it on.

they have to be able to do both very good defending and very good attacking and it will take the amount of time it takes to get it right.. and then even longer to get it as second nature.

The players know they have a massive opportunity to get it right in these next games.. more than ever in a way because at the level of commitment they are going to be coming into the games with as individuals.. if that little extra determination matters then this is their opportunity.

i think we are going to play better than ever in these last 3 and keep improving. most of these players were brought to the club because they have real ambitions and a lot of the individual skills to back those ambitions up. Those anbitions are strong enough to have us about at the same level as the Prem tilte winners this season.. WITHOUT THE EXPERIENCE OF PLAYING FOR A FEW YEARS WITH EACH OTHER AND SWAPPING THE FUCKING MANAGER HALF WAY THROUGH..

We only lack the team play and we did lack the discipline, but not so much anymore. That same ambition is as likely to sweep Villa aside if we connect with each other on Saturday.. and it wont be from lack of effort.
Our only real weakness is a lack of forward mid.. and i wouldn't be surprised if Mancini tries to do something about that tomorrow.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby david yearsley » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Zab is the type of player we need tomorrow - in place of Vieira would be ideal for me - the type of player who could really galvanise midfield - modest, no-nonsense and committed
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat May 01, 2010 7:07 am

I could barely sleep without hearing his update on current situation. "Aston Villa is really important game for us but we also need to get result against Tottenham. It'd be nice to finish 4th although finishing 5th or 6th wouldn't be the end of the world either". Or something insightful along those lines.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat May 01, 2010 9:07 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

I could barely sleep without hearing his update on current situation. "Aston Villa is really important game for us but we also need to get result against Tottenham. It'd be nice to finish 4th although finishing 5th or 6th wouldn't be the end of the world either". Or something insightful along those lines.

Its good to hear from the players, I just feel that they are trotted out by the club in a very insincere way at times.

I will never forget the day 4/5 players including Elano and Robinho who were supposed to be the chief troublemakers, who all made pretty much the same statement about Hughes being the right man for the job the day the papers really started having a go at him, it just felt totally false and stage managed, as they actually used the exact same words that the club had obviously told them to say. Since then I dont even bother reading what city players say in the run up to a match, as I dont believe what they say is coming from their mouths much of the time.

It seems the bullshit that gets spoken by the city players is directly proportional to how bad the result was the week before. I'd rather they just get the job done for now, rather than trying to tell the world how they are going to do it, as we just look silly every time one of our players talks up the next game, only for us to not turn up.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Return to The Maine Football forum