Major nations we've not had a player from.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Major nations we've not had a player from.

Postby gillie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Dazzacity wrote:South Africa??

I would like one though a certain mr Pienaar.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby dazby » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Chile, Japan and Egypt
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Slim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 pm

dazby wrote:Chile, Japan and Egypt

We signed Mido didn't we?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby tchumatu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:28 am

gillie wrote:Abdi Ibrahim is Sweedish also but was born in Somalia.

He is Norwegian
Roberto Mancini was the man who brought us our first trophy in 35 years. He was the man that brought us our first league title in 44 years. He brought us one of the greatest moments of our lives. He masterminded a 6-1 win at Old Trafford, and a Wembley win over United. He challenged Ferguson, he argued with him on the touchline, he brought success, and he punched the air in delight with the rest of us at the madness of it all. He had style, panache and a winning smile.All those memories he gave us will never be forgotten, in a wonderful period in this club’s long history.
And I swear, we’ll never see anything like it again.
tchumatu
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Bell

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:56 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:Terry Dunfield was Canadian too. This is exactly the sort of statto-nerd questian that makes a forum great. Biggest nations that spring to my mind are Chile, Ukraine, Finland, Nigeria (don't do it Ned). Might be wrong about one or two though, probably Finland. NQDP?

you are actually wrong about Finland! Under Pearce, among the numerous of obscure players we signed on six month deals, was feller called Tuomas Haapala.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Manx Blue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 am

Well how do we define major nations? Top 50 in the current Rankings? This can obviously shift...sometimes quite markedly through the course of the year.

In the current top 50 Idon't think we have had players from the following...but I could be wrong

Portugal, Russia, Egypt, Chile, Serbia, Uruguay, Slovenia, Ukraine, Ivory Coast, Romania, Czech Rep, Ghana, Turkey Colombia, Honduras, Gabon, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, South Korea & Venezuela
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:32 am

Manx Blue wrote:Well how do we define major nations? Top 50 in the current Rankings? This can obviously shift...sometimes quite markedly through the course of the year.

In the current top 50 Idon't think we have had players from the following...but I could be wrong

Portugal, Russia, Egypt, Chile, Serbia, Uruguay, Slovenia, Ukraine, Ivory Coast, Romania, Czech Rep, Ghana, Turkey Colombia, Honduras, Gabon, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, South Korea & Venezuela

Kolo Toure
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Manx Blue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:34 am

Slim wrote:
Manx Blue wrote:Well how do we define major nations? Top 50 in the current Rankings? This can obviously shift...sometimes quite markedly through the course of the year.

Kolo Toure

Apologies Chaps...Of course! There may be more schoolboy errors yet!!!

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Tony P » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 am

Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:42 am

Ivan Golac-Serbia
David González Giraldo-Columbia(okay, 27yo keeper who I have never heard of currently on our books...the keeper saga keeps going)
Colin Viljoen-South Africa
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Alioune DVToure » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:Terry Dunfield was Canadian too. This is exactly the sort of statto-nerd questian that makes a forum great. Biggest nations that spring to my mind are Chile, Ukraine, Finland, Nigeria (don't do it Ned). Might be wrong about one or two though, probably Finland. NQDP?

you are actually wrong about Finland! Under Pearce, among the numerous of obscure players we signed on six month deals, was feller called Tuomas Haapala.

That name rings a bell but I can't picture him. Was he some sort of wing-back? He perhaps belongs in the other thread.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:44 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

That name rings a bell but I can't picture him. Was he some sort of wing-back? He perhaps belongs in the other thread.

Holding midfielder. Sat on the bench in some cup game (can't remember which) but I don't think he ever actually made it to pitch. Apparently super hard working in training ground which must've impressed our Stuart but unfortunately no football skills to mention. Last season was struggling to get on the pitch in Finland.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Manx Blue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:43 am

Slim wrote:Ivan Golac-Serbia
David González Giraldo-Columbia(okay, 27yo keeper who I have never heard of currently on our books...the keeper saga keeps going)

I remember Golac...but that was Yugoslavia back in the day my friend ! ;) I thi he was at SOTON when Keegan, Channon, Ball Watson etc were there from memory

Yep....forgot about Gonzalez

Viljoen...didn't he come from Ipswich or somewhere? I don't think he had too many games did he?

Manx Blue

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Manx Blue wrote:
Slim wrote:Ivan Golac-Serbia

I remember Golac...but that was Yugoslavia back in the day my friend ! ;) I thi he was at SOTON when Keegan, Channon, Ball Watson etc were there from memory

Yep....forgot about Gonzalez

Viljoen...didn't he come from Ipswich or somewhere? I don't think he had too many games did he?

I could have said Dragoslav Stepanovic as well, but it was Yugoslavia as well. :( Serbia isn't fair cause it's only a week and a half old.

Viljoen played like a season with us, was with Ipswich for 12 years before that.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum