What are your reservations about Mancini?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What are your reservations about Mancini?

Postby Socrates » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:25 am

BobKowalski wrote:
walmai wrote:That he's going to change you bunch of under-achieving ass-wipes into a proper team...

...if given half a proper chance.

No chance mate. First sign of anyone attempting to drag the club and its football into the modern era and we will sabotage it first chance we get. And we like things straightforward. Left footed winger? Well you play on the f**king left. Things not working on the pitch and manager doesn't change things. Tactical idiot. Thinks not working on the pitch and manager changes things. Tactical idiot and a twat for not getting it right in the first place. Defence crap. Get rid of the players. Still crap. Get rid of the players. Coach the actual defence and team to actually defend and cut out crass and stupid mistakes? Novel idea but pfft f**king useless c**t of a manager because we ain't bombing forward anymore. You would think someone would make the connection between gungho attack and gaping holes at the back or the reason why a defence under constant pressure just might make crass mistakes. Mind you Hughes and Bowen never made the connection so maybe I expect too much.

Its going to be interesting to see how much time Mancini gets from the owners who in fairness didn't panic when Hughsie was getting buttfucked by Brighton and Notts Forest or when we spent Christmas in the bottom 3 (I was so tempted to post Hughes promise that we would get 'Top 6 and no excuses'. I resisted. It was just too easy a target). But people did want to believe in Hughes. He was going to be our Taggart. Funny. Do you know how often I was told that we had to stick with Hughes because it took Taggart 3 years and they almost sacked him and Rome wasn't built in a day? Lost count how many times that was trotted out to defend Hughes. Mancini. 3 months tops and you better get 4th place or else sunshine. Rome? Shithole anyway.

Even odder is that I would never have picked Mancini in the first place. Lack of PL experience was a big concern but hey we got him and damn if didn't actually start coaching the team which is something I like in a manager. It won't catch on though. This coaching/tactical malarky. Not at City. As Shay said. "The lads just want to play footie". Well knock yoursleves out lads. They'll be pissing their pants at the Nou Camp.

Lovely post. Made me nod my head and smile a lot.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby ant london » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:53 am

Socrates wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
walmai wrote:That he's going to change you bunch of under-achieving ass-wipes into a proper team...

...if given half a proper chance.

No chance mate. First sign of anyone attempting to drag the club and its football into the modern era and we will sabotage it first chance we get. And we like things straightforward. Left footed winger? Well you play on the f**king left. Things not working on the pitch and manager doesn't change things. Tactical idiot. Thinks not working on the pitch and manager changes things. Tactical idiot and a twat for not getting it right in the first place. Defence crap. Get rid of the players. Still crap. Get rid of the players. Coach the actual defence and team to actually defend and cut out crass and stupid mistakes? Novel idea but pfft f**king useless c**t of a manager because we ain't bombing forward anymore. You would think someone would make the connection between gungho attack and gaping holes at the back or the reason why a defence under constant pressure just might make crass mistakes. Mind you Hughes and Bowen never made the connection so maybe I expect too much.

Its going to be interesting to see how much time Mancini gets from the owners who in fairness didn't panic when Hughsie was getting buttfucked by Brighton and Notts Forest or when we spent Christmas in the bottom 3 (I was so tempted to post Hughes promise that we would get 'Top 6 and no excuses'. I resisted. It was just too easy a target). But people did want to believe in Hughes. He was going to be our Taggart. Funny. Do you know how often I was told that we had to stick with Hughes because it took Taggart 3 years and they almost sacked him and Rome wasn't built in a day? Lost count how many times that was trotted out to defend Hughes. Mancini. 3 months tops and you better get 4th place or else sunshine. Rome? Shithole anyway.

Even odder is that I would never have picked Mancini in the first place. Lack of PL experience was a big concern but hey we got him and damn if didn't actually start coaching the team which is something I like in a manager. It won't catch on though. This coaching/tactical malarky. Not at City. As Shay said. "The lads just want to play footie". Well knock yoursleves out lads. They'll be pissing their pants at the Nou Camp.

Lovely post. Made me nod my head and smile a lot.

To use the yardstick strategy mentioned by Tokyo above I am relieved

I thought it was a cuntish post for the reasons highlighted by John68 above.

The fact that you agree with it fully underlines the fact that it was
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:21 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:Mancini can't win it seems.... the widespread opinion was that our defence and team organisation were going down the pan. He was told to fix it. He has fixed it and now he isn't "attack-minded" enough.

That's pretty much the way I saw it. We were tactically fairly naive and defended badly. I personally think that we are tactically FAIRLY sound now and defend realtively well most of the time. Problem seems to be that we lack certain type of players that would make us more balanced both ways (skilled attacking midfielder for starters) and unfortunately likes of Kolo Toure need help so that they aren't under pressure and make mistakes. That makes us look more of a defensive than attacking side.

I for one am very very interested what sort of players he'll be bringing in summer and what sort of system he'll occupy with those players. I have a hunch about it but we'll see. Right now players we got force the system and not the other way around.

My only worry is how well he deals with some of the star players. Seems to be "my way or the highway" manager which basically is good when you got your own players but tough when you got so many characters on the dressing room. I wasn't happy about couple of complete shit displays (Hull and Everton) but I'm sure they were great learning curves. Every new manager in Premier League, foreign or not, have these results early on.

OD's "top 8 " argument which he seems to have come up recently and keeps repeating doesn't bother me that much. First of all, we have two out of that top 8 to play, second we have seriously improved against those teams all the time.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:I don't have any reservations about Mancini. I think he is doing a great job under the circumstances.

It would be best to judge him after he's built his own squad.

The circumstances?! Like having a really strong squad already in place and incredibly wealthy Owners backing him all the way?

What a horrible job to walk in to.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:47 am

john68 wrote:Bob,
I find you quite a quick witted and amusing poster mate. You use your wit to good measure when putting down others' arguments or points and it is a very effective strategy.
However you do seem to exagerate what others have said in order to ridicule their points.
I don't think anyone has suggested anything about the team bombing forward. I think they merely suggested that there is a better balance between attack and defence. In fact the point was made that with the talent we have up front, to create that balance and attack a little more would actually be playing to the strengths of our more talented players.
Doug is not an idiot mate. Try meeting him and having a deep conversation with him and you will find him to be an extremely erudite and knowledgeable person, who thinks deeply about the game and talks sense. Doug is quite correct when he states that Mancini very often has to change things round because they are not working. It is valid therefore to ask why does it not work so often?

Thanks for the entertainment though, I do enjoy it.

Damn I now feel bad that I have picked on Doug (which I did a little bit) especially as I do like Doug as a poster and I do enjoy the training reports.

As was Gorden Brown yesterday I too "am a penitent sinner"

Sorry Doug
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:12 am

BobKowalski wrote:
I find you quite a quick witted and amusing poster mate. You use your wit to good measure when putting down others' arguments or points and it is a very effective strategy.
However you do seem to exagerate what others have said in order to ridicule their points.
I don't think anyone has suggested anything about the team bombing forward. I think they merely suggested that there is a better balance between attack and defence. In fact the point was made that with the talent we have up front, to create that balance and attack a little more would actually be playing to the strengths of our more talented players.
Doug is not an idiot mate. Try meeting him and having a deep conversation with him and you will find him to be an extremely erudite and knowledgeable person, who thinks deeply about the game and talks sense. Doug is quite correct when he states that Mancini very often has to change things round because they are not working. It is valid therefore to ask why does it not work so often?

Damn I now feel bad that I have picked on Doug (which I did a little bit) especially as I do like Doug as a poster and I do enjoy the training reports.

Nothing to apologise for Bob. I thought your OTT wording and aggressive approach lost you the argument anyway.You really shouldnt use phrases like bombing forward and gungho attack which wasn't what was happening.The big problem was the mistakes as we all know and the solution to that is what? How is it now that we are not apparently making those crass mistakes or at least not as many. I believe the answer is the overall approach of the team in that we defend more in numbers and as a team.No doubt at all the team defending approach , the formation and shape that Mancini has worked on so much, is a big part in that but the point I was making is that he hasnt yet been able to fully translate that to the full team performance and specifically attacking as a team.

My hope and expectation is that will come but there have been few signs. Against poorer sides as i said we can get by and on occasions where we get ahead and the other team lose it we can murder them with the pure individual talent we have but against the stronger teams with very good discipline we really struggle.

Villa and Spurs will be great tests of the mentality of all concerned.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:17 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

Nothing to apologise for Bob. I thought your OTT wording and aggressive approach lost you the argument anyway.You really shouldnt use phrases like bombing forward and gungho attack which wasn't what was happening.The big problem was the mistakes as we all know and the solution to that is what? How is it now that we are not apparently making those crass mistakes or at least not as many. I believe the answer is the overall approach of the team in that we defend more in numbers and as a team.No doubt at all the team defending approach , the formation and shape that Mancini has worked on so much, is a big part in that but the point I was making is that he hasnt yet been able to fully translate that to the full team performance and specifically attacking as a team.

My hope and expectation is that will come but there have been few signs. Against poorer sides as i said we can get by and on occasions where we get ahead and the other team lose it we can murder them with the pure individual talent we have but against the stronger teams with very good discipline we really struggle.

Although these current arguments drive me potty, I would contend that if we win every match against 'the poorer sides', and draw every game against Scum, Arsenal and Chelsea 0-0 we will win the league next season. Therefore some progress must be being made. And we did win 4-1 at Chelsea.

I agree the next 2 games will be interesting.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 am

john@staustell wrote:Although these current arguments drive me potty, I would contend that if we win every match against 'the poorer sides', and draw every game against Scum, Arsenal and Chelsea 0-0 we will win the league next season. Therefore some progress must be being made. And we did win 4-1 at Chelsea.

I agree the next 2 games will be interesting.

We did?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

not trying to be funny, but isnt that the reason the stronger teams are the stronger teams. I seem to recall stronger teams struggling against other stronger teams also.. quite often.

on a side point there seems to be a lot of hysteria creeping into a lot of threads recently.. is it a sign of stress in City fans? Can we not cope with the expectation? The recent spew of threads on the manager are at points fuclin embarrasing.. i can only conclude we are all stressed to fucl and cant help but find a vent for it.

Doug has possibly the best all round analysis of where we are right now with his understanding gleaned from the training sessions, but even so i would challenge anyone to say that they really knew what this team was capable of doing. imo i dont think that the players or the manager know. We were all frustrated by the derby and the Emirates game and the mood has shifted to more doom and gloom than anything. Truth is you are walking a short plank if you attempt to pass judgement on the basis of half a season. We are looking for patterns emerging as to what type of team we have, what type of manager we have.. all based on what we think we see in a set series of games. As the team is new and the manager even newer this is a very difficult thing to do.
My take is that we have shown we are as good as the rags, as good as Chelsea, possibly slightly better than Arsenal, as good as an on form Liverpool.. We have also shown that we still have a lot of work to do and still missing some key players.

A good example of trying to work out where we are is to look at the upcoming Spurs game. Last year and this year Spurs are better than they used to be, they look about on par with City, on paper as well. Now they beat us well at theirs, but that was before the change in manager and the resulting extra solidity we have developed. So how can we really have any idea of what the outcome of the Spurs game is going to be. We know we are better than when we played at theirs, but we still dont know how this team will come out of the blocks.. and we dont know for sure that this is due to the manager or the team itself responding to the managers demands of being more disciplined.. or if we just lack that one key forward mid player that can help knit it all together.. at best on here we are all shooting in the dark.
i would ask that we all keep this in mind, as going off on one NQDP style is just jumping the gun and finding excuses to vent the obvious frustration.
If we take Villa apart, beat Spurs and whack West Ham.. and show a bit of style while doing it you will all be heralding Manicini as the new messiah, when in truth we would not know how good he is until he has had one season of home and away games with his set up as he wants it, to be able to judge him. Mancini has as yet never taken the team to Anfield or a host of other away grounds.. City may well be experiencing the kind of 'advantage of the unknown' like promotion teams sometimes get in the first half of the season until all the opposing teams have played them and know in detail what to expect. We have been a total unknown quantity this season both to ourselves and to others and that has panned out as both an advantage and disadvantage in different games.
i havent read one poster who can categorically put their finger on what we are.
But one thing is for sure as fans we really dont seem to be able to handle this new found expectation
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Bluez » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:OD's "top 8 " argument which he seems to have come up recently and keeps repeating doesn't bother me that much. First of all, we have two out of that top 8 to play, second we have seriously improved against those teams all the time.

If at the end of the season we had only scored against 1 of the top 8 teams in the league I would be more concerned about that statistic than missing out on 4th. Inconsistency under a new manager is to be expected and would be one reason for not reaching top 4, but consistently not being able to score against teams in the upper third of the table would be a big issue. If we are improving then we should at least click sometimes against decent teams, not just once against Chelsea.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Bluez wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:OD's "top 8 " argument which he seems to have come up recently and keeps repeating doesn't bother me that much. First of all, we have two out of that top 8 to play, second we have seriously improved against those teams all the time.

If at the end of the season we had only scored against 1 of the top 8 teams in the league I would be more concerned about that statistic than missing out on 4th. Inconsistency under a new manager is to be expected and would be one reason for not reaching top 4, but consistently not being able to score against teams in the upper third of the table would be a big issue. If we are improving then we should at least click sometimes against decent teams, not just once against Chelsea.

Well that's a mighty big IF.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bluez » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Bluez wrote:

True, but IF it becomes a reality would you still believe Mancini is the man?
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:17 pm

My reservations are that he'll get to far embroiled in tactics. The top PL teams are well organised & tactically fairly sound but they don't get particularly tactical apart from on the odd occasion when they're missing players or in very occasional one off games.

Most of the mid to lower table teams are the ones who go big on tactics & formations because they have inferior players. The best PL teams allow their best players to play & only get tactical when they absolutely have to. The rags in particular take risks, they play to win in 95% of games. They get players behind the ball & in fact have a better shape than we do but they spring forward & attack when they can, even if it sometimes leaves them open. They gamble but often win & it scares the opposition.

It's not possible just to play like that by throwing a switch, it needs work & it's prone to mistakes. Some people are unable to recognise it but Hughes was trying to do it that way & got sacked because of the mistakes. If Mancini's not careful though, he'll get sacked because he's too scared to make them.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:My reservations are that he'll get to far embroiled in tactics. The top PL teams are well organised & tactically fairly sound but they don't get particularly tactical apart from on the odd occasion when they're missing players or in very occasional one off games.

Most of the mid to lower table teams are the ones who go big on tactics & formations because they have inferior players. The best PL teams allow their best players to play & only get tactical when they absolutely have to. The rags in particular take risks, they play to win in 95% of games. They get players behind the ball & in fact have a better shape than we do but they spring forward & attack when they can, even if it sometimes leaves them open. They gamble but often win & it scares the opposition.

It's not possible just to play like that by throwing a switch, it needs work & it's prone to mistakes. Some people are unable to recognise it but Hughes was trying to do it that way & got sacked because of the mistakes. If Mancini's not careful though, he'll get sacked because he's too scared to make them.

Quality post Ted.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Bluez wrote:
Bluez wrote:

And IF Mancini's team scores against all 8 of the top sides does that make him a worldbeater? What IF we score against all 8 top sides and lose all 8? What IF we only score against 4 of the top 8 and win 4 and draw 4 does that make Mancini half a worldbeater?

brite blu is right. Its all ifs, whats and maybes with a lot of pissing in the wind. And yeah we can't handle the expectation and pressure but then its not as if we've had a lot of practice at the glory end. It was easier when we were shite because we've been there and done it for 30 bloody years. If this is what we are like over a lousy 4th place god help us when its the actual Premiership title with 3 games to go :)
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:02 pm

Just a bad bad time for a thread like this. Just park your worries for a few days eh? Mancini's got enough on his plate at the moment without grief from the message boards as well. The same goes for the team.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Poor and uninspiring substitutions

Lower tempo of gameplay and generally tepid performances

Too much respect to 'better' opposition

Worrying signs of dressing room disgruntlement

Comes across as insincere in interviews (not really management, this one, I just don't particularly like the cut of his jib)

Signed Vieira
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby bluej » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:My reservations are that he'll get to far embroiled in tactics. The top PL teams are well organised & tactically fairly sound but they don't get particularly tactical apart from on the odd occasion when they're missing players or in very occasional one off games.

That's a great post.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Bluez wrote:
Bluez wrote:

Yes. For me he has next season to prove himself. Then we will see whether I was wrong about him. Until then I just try to take results and goals as they come.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:29 pm

bluej wrote:

That's a great post.

It sure is and embodies what I was going to respond with but far more eloquently. Mancini is bringing Italian tactics to the English prem and is suffering from a cultural clash. I am certain that the players do not fully understand the messages the coaches are trying to convey yet, particularly the goalkeepers. This will take time. I'd like to see Mancio embrace the English style a bit more and the players accept the Italian way also. When this happens we will be fine.

I also have a major reservation about the subs Mancio made in the derby. Fooking ridiculous they were.

Good thread BTW.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum