Training Wednesday 28/4

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Wednesday 28/4

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:49 pm

All eyes on Fulop today as a few extra photographers were there. He's a big guy for sure and although one training session proves nothing he had a really good day today from what I saw. Good hands when taking crosses and he actually gets high for them as well. I felt he had a bit of a presence about him too and he made some excellent saves to show good agility. I could say he was crap because Zaba beat him in a one to one but Zaba could do that to anyone!

I do recall the first time I saw Shay in practice he was awful but the next day he took on Middlesboro and we all know what he did in that match. As for the rest NDJ was back out and fully training today but Ade and Bridge were doing more gentle work.They took part in everything but the contact stuff where they went off to work with a physio. Ade looked fine but Bridge has a very heavy strapping on his right leg and isnt ready yet. The fact that he is out there suggests that he has a good chance for Saturday though I am sure.

Barry wasn't training with the group but did come out for some jogging with Carminati doing laps of the full field.The training itself was fairly standard stuff with Mancini as usual taking different groups behind the fencing to work on specific things. Defensive units first before going into the attacking aspects. All the time he is at the centre talking to them and pointing and making sure the message is getting across. Ibrahim and Nimley were the two main reserve extras helping today and even Massimo the keeper coach was involved for a time as a wide right midfield player.

Fulop was involved in some of these exercises with Mancini and his voice could be heard which was good. A bit later he was deep in conversation with Toure and once everyone had gone in the keeper coach was going back out. Quite possible to do extra work with Fulop.Overall today I felt a little more energy in the group as we build up to the weekend. Even in the very early warm up bits there seemed more life and fun.

The last group Mancini had were pure attacking , crossing and finishing and sadly as I have said before Mancini was the best crosser on view. Good to see AJ working from the left for quite a while but early on with him and SWP crossing Mancini stopped it , walked over took one himself which was perfect fro RSC to power a header in.So simple and he demonstrated very clearly what he wanted.They simply don't have the natural ability the boss has.In the session though RSC did get better service overall and hit the net a lot.Bellers decent and Tevez clearly saving it for when it matters.He did get alitle frustrated at the end and simply picked a ball up and booted into the field behind the goal.

One incident to report from the 6 a side game that was played alongside Mancini's work. NDJ who always gives his all in training went over the top with studs showing in what was a clear leg breaker. It was all in frustration after he missed a chance and fortunately it was the goalpost he went for about 4 feet up! And his scream was very loud as he did it as well. Almost as loud as Bellers a few times today when something wasn't right. He could be heard a long way off but the players just ignored him and got on with it. I must balance that to say that yet again he trained really well and often with a smile and is a great influence to those around him as AJ said last night.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Wednesday 28/4

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:08 pm

great report mate.

But why the FUCK isnt lazy arse ade even training now!
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby kinkylola » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 pm

I hope fulop is given some good incentives for clean sheets/wins ... I hope it means as much to him as it does to everyone here. If he drags us through these last three games he will be a legend in my eyes.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:32 pm

great report Doug, lots of detail.. thanks once again!

interesting what you say about Mancini's natural ability... pin point crosses etc and the fact even some of our best players dont have that level.. amazing, but also great that the gaffer has that and so the players have to take seriously what he says and secondly he can actually teach them something..

m. johnno still plodding around training is he ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks Doug.

Nick - Ade is injured mate, that´s why he was on the bench last week, not sensitivity to Arsenal's supporters!

I reckon the way our right wingers are playing Mancini should pick himself on Saturday, right midfield.

A keeper that comes for crosses eh? Wont be the same without Shay's high pitched screaming at free kicks though. :-)
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:04 pm

yeah a keeper coming for crosses is going to be interesting eh!.. just writing about that in the new keeper thread..

i wonder what Carl will make of it?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:16 pm

brite blu sky wrote:yeah a keeper coming for crosses is going to be interesting eh!.. just writing about that in the new keeper thread..

i wonder what Carl will make of it?

Let's be a little careful here. It was a training session and they were practicing taking crosses. Shay does the same every day but as we all know it can be different in a match. If he does great but time will tell.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:17 pm

brite blu sky wrote:great report Doug, lots of detail.. thanks once again!

interesting what you say about Mancini's natural ability... pin point crosses etc and the fact even some of our best players dont have that level.. amazing, but also great that the gaffer has that and so the players have to take seriously what he says and secondly he can actually teach them something..

m. johnno still plodding around training is he ?

Not seen MJ for a while now but he will no doubt be doing plenty indoors.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 pm

I expected to see Lescott out in the sun today and didn't, was he there before me (or after) ?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Goataldo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Good stuff as per.

Pretty shocking that our lads are getting shown up on crossing by the manager though.

Was it just the accuracy Mancini was focussing on, or the whole shape of the cross?
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Dameerto » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

kinkylola wrote:I hope fulop is given some good incentives for clean sheets/wins ... I hope it means as much to him as it does to everyone here. If he drags us through these last three games he will be a legend in my eyes.

I hope he has some big fat incentives to perform too - if he does the business for us I'm sure he'll be a legend.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:39 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Good stuff as per.

Pretty shocking that our lads are getting shown up on crossing by the manager though.

Was it just the accuracy Mancini was focussing on, or the whole shape of the cross?

Probably more the shape and pace of the cross than pure accuracy. He whipped it in with pace and bend away from the keeper and RSC only had to get a head on it. One cross was just chested in but with power!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Goataldo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Good. SWP in particular too often favours the 'sand wedge' where he just clips his foot under it, invariably going straight and at mid pace. Bellers has more variation. If it's trajectory that's the problem tho, they'd better hope Garry Cook isn't taking note.

I'm just trying to think of a City player with an absolutely mint cross, and I have to admit my mind's not flooded with choice. CUrrently Garrrido is probably the sweetest crosser I reck.

Mark Kennedy used to be able to whip em in good and proper too. Kennedy in!
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Probably more the shape and pace of the cross than pure accuracy. He whipped it in with pace and bend away from the keeper and RSC only had to get a head on it. One cross was just chested in but with power!

It's depressing to read that AJ can't get a decent ball in Doug. SWP's never been able to cross a ball because he's a converted midfield player but I had high hopes AJ would be the man to feed RSC & co. I can't see AJ reaching the very top if he doesn't learn to do that expertly.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Goataldo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Tobe fair to AJ he's well young, and has a ridiculous amount of skill in those feet. If he can't learn to cross well then God help us all!
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

It's depressing to read that AJ can't get a decent ball in Doug. SWP's never been able to cross a ball because he's a converted midfield player but I had high hopes AJ would be the man to feed RSC & co. I can't see AJ reaching the very top if he doesn't learn to do that expertly.

Tis a bit depressing. The good news is that he can do it and we have seen examples but the bad news is he doesnt do it consistently. I can only hope that practice makes perfect and I can assure you he does practice it a lot.

SWP is definitely a poor crosser who seems to be unable to hit that fast bender which is so good. He does chip them up there and make it easy usually to defend against. Garrido does have a good ability to whip crosses in just as hits those edge of the box free kicks.It's really amazing all pros can't do it.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Goataldo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Tis a bit depressing. The good news is that he can do it and we have seen examples but the bad news is he doesnt do it consistently. I can only hope that practice makes perfect and I can assure you he does practice it a lot.

SWP is definitely a poor crosser who seems to be unable to hit that fast bender which is so good. He does chip them up there and make it easy usually to defend against. Garrido does have a good ability to whip crosses in just as hits those edge of the box free kicks.It's really amazing all pros can't do it.

ALso amazes me that certain players aren't comfortable with using their 'wrong foot' in certain situations. Some pro's can't competently pass or control a ball with their wrong foot. Fair enough to bottle it and assess the other options if you're 20 yards out considering a shot, but 10 yard passes and shots round the six yard box, get your foot through it! Gareth Barry I'm talking to you. Purely cos of a derby incident, he loves using the left too much but at least he can he can pass with his right, if there's nowt else on.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Curlie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:22 am

get in there
City are coming to get you!
Curlie
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Nige

Return to The Maine Football forum