dislocated shoulders

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

dislocated shoulders

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:32 pm

The pain on Shay Given's face on Saturday reminded me that along with giving birth having a dislocated shoulder is a thing I'm glad I've only witnessed and not experienced for myself. But I've been thinking of the rugby league games I used to watch at Swinton as a lad when players would dislocate a shoulder, have it popped back in, and be back in the team a lot faster than Given will be. Could be that the memory is playing tricks but I went to the bookshelf and found it to be true (there was even a player in the old, old days, Jim Valentine, who played the whole second half of a rugby league cup final with his shoulder out.) I'm not saying that rugby players are tougher than footballers or that players were tougher in the old times than today, but I wonder whether there are certain kinds of shoulder dislocations that people can recover from more quickly than from others? Anyone got medical knowledge on this?
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Re: dislocated shoulders

Postby gillie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Bobby i think FloridaBlue wrote something about the differing degrees of dislocation in the Shay Given injury thread.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm

BobbyJ1956 wrote:The pain on Shay Given's face on Saturday reminded me that along with giving birth having a dislocated shoulder is a thing I'm glad I've only witnessed and not experienced for myself. But I've been thinking of the rugby league games I used to watch at Swinton as a lad when players would dislocate a shoulder, have it popped back in, and be back in the team a lot faster than Given will be. Could be that the memory is playing tricks but I went to the bookshelf and found it to be true (there was even a player in the old, old days, Jim Valentine, who played the whole second half of a rugby league cup final with his shoulder out.) I'm not saying that rugby players are tougher than footballers or that players were tougher in the old times than today, but I wonder whether there are certain kinds of shoulder dislocations that people can recover from more quickly than from others? Anyone got medical knowledge on this?

Just asking but how would you know that dislocating a shoulder is more painfull than child birth????
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby gillie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 pm

The way they were dealing with it, it looked more like a dislocation than a low grade separation, though it could be a high grade one. A separation is a 4-to-6 week injury with little residual impact, unless it requires surgery (high grade), which the most severe do. Separation is the shoulder from the collarbone, so if they are saying collarbone, from what I say looked like dislocation.

Dislocations are something that once they happen, it is very likely to happen again, a separation is usually a one-time trauma, and if it happened again would not be related to first incident.

That said, a shoulder dislocation usually involves ligaments stretching, I don't see anyway possible he is back next week, let alone next month.I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.Florida Blue
Robinho's Step Over

Private messageYIMAIM
Ther you go Bobby i knew it was Florida who posted on it.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks, Gillie, that makes sense, though it made my eyes water a bit. (As for that Jim Valentine fellow playing with his shoulder out, brave chap, I read that he was killed by lightning soon after.)
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Scatman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:53 am

BobbyJ1956 wrote:Thanks, Gillie, that makes sense, though it made my eyes water a bit. (As for that Jim Valentine fellow playing with his shoulder out, brave chap, I read that he was killed by lightning soon after.)

Retief Goosen was once struck by lightning on the golf course. He went on to win loads of golf tournaments, so Shay should pull himself together and get training again, soft bastard
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 am

Sister of fu wrote:Just asking but how would you know that dislocating a shoulder is more painfull than child birth????

how would you? ;)
The Man In Blue

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 am

When my mate dislocated his shoulder he was back doing normal stuff again quite soon afterwards but it wasn't actually right for a fair old time. Had he been a goalkeeper it would have kept him out for ages. Of course he just had minimal help from the national heath rather than teams of medical experts though.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Sister of fu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 am

The Man In Blue wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Just asking but how would you know that dislocating a shoulder is more painfull than child birth????

how would you? ;)

How do you know I haven't???
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby sandman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 am

Sister of fu wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:

how would you? ;)

How do you know I haven't???

How many women have a kid then get pregnant again? And how many women dislocated their shoulder then try to do it again :o)
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum