Spurs to save the King?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Spurs to save the King?

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:21 pm

I picked the Evening Standard on my way home and read an interesting article.

Ledley King has been immaculate for spurs this season, but his knee problem means he cant play more than a game every week.
With our game coming midweek, would harry save him for our game?
If so it means he probably wont play on both weekends. How would it affect them?
Personally I think Harry should save him for our game. Bassong can deal with Bolton and Burnely. But you never know with twitchy.

Edit: found it

Ledley King's ability to produce his best football at the most important moments is at the heart of his enduring value to Tottenham but the club's chances of qualifying for the Champions League will surely be enhanced if he plays only one more match this season.

King's chronic knee problems mean he can play only once a week, which would nevertheless allow him to feature in two of Spurs' remaining three games, at home to Bolton on Saturday and at Burnley eight days later, during the final weekend of the campaign.

The defender's presence would shorten the odds of a Tottenham victory in both those fixtures but it would probably guarantee his absence from the club's most significant test of all, at Manchester City on 5 May.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp likes to use King as much as is possible but he may conclude that less is more. Sebastien Bassong is a competent centre-back, perfectly capable of mastering a Bolton team who have managed just 16 Premier League goals away from home all season and a Burnley attack unable to save their club from relegation.

At Eastlands, though, it will be a different matter. The task of taming Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy requires the highest levels of concentration and technique and Spurs simply cannot afford to be without King.

How City would be lifted were King's name to be absent from Spurs' team sheet next week. Imagine the confidence it would give to a side who will probably need victory over Redknapp's men if they are to overhaul them in the race for a place in next season's Champions League. This is not to denigrate Bassong, who has had a decent first year at White Hart Lane after arriving from Newcastle, playing well alongside Michael Dawson in central defence.

Yet he remains inferior to King, whose talent and temperament have won him the admiration of England coach Fabio Capello to such a degree that the Italian is willing to overlook the 29-year-old's physical fragility and choose him for this summer's World Cup.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... to-rule.do
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Re: Spurs to save the King?

Postby john@staustell » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:48 am

Personally I think that, whilst Burnley are pretty much nailed on losers, Bolton should not be under-estimated. They were unlucky at Chelsea and I wouldn´t put it past them creating an upset in this season of upsets. Spuds have already lost to 2 worse teams at home.

It's to our advantage that they will be looking ahead at the City match whilst playing Bolton, and probably resting King, as you say.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Crossie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Theres no point picking him for the world cup to play in 1 or 2 games. It would be nice, but its basically a waste of a position, especially with Ferdinands problems and Terrys form. Could end up with 3 centre backs who are fucked up.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:37 pm

One of the most annoying things about modern football is the fact that everyone wanks over Ledley fucking King.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:44 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:One of the most annoying things about modern football is the fact that everyone wanks over Ledley fucking King.

Fucking right chief!

He's a decent defender, but everyone thinks he's amazing because he plays here and there and he's pretty good. "Oh if only he could play all the time".

Yeah, because that comes in handy when you're a FULL TIME professional footballer.

From I where I was sat on saturday he was part of a central defence that leaked three goals. Let the cunt play if he wants, we're more than capable of putting more past that exact same spurs defence than a Rooney-less United were.
Original Dub

Postby Blue2 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:46 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:One of the most annoying things about modern football is the fact that everyone wanks over Ledley fucking King.

Agree, one of the most overrated players ever, just because he is injured all the fuclin time , he's treated like a demi god. Would he be world class if injury free...............no.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Just heard Spuds Chairman saying that Ledley should be included in the England squad seeing that he's played 16 games this season whilst Ferdinand's only played in 11.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Just heard Spuds Chairman saying that Ledley should be included in the England squad seeing that he's played 16 games this season whilst Ferdinand's only played in 11.

Ah very good.

So its the amount of games you play in, not how good you are?

This should tie in nicely with the new rules that you can only tackle the ball and if you touch the player afterwards its a foul... oh and also that it takes from Saturday evening until possibly wednesday at the earliest to decide whether having one goalkeeper at a club who has only ever played for fucking Wrexham constitutes an emergency.

I love football. But sometimes its not easy.
Original Dub

Postby ENIAM NAM » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Just heard Spuds Chairman saying that Ledley should be included in the England squad seeing that he's played 16 games this season whilst Ferdinand's only played in 11.

Ah very good.

So its the amount of games you play in, not how good you are?

This should tie in nicely with the new rules that you can only tackle the ball and if you touch the player afterwards its a foul... oh and also that it takes from Saturday evening until possibly wednesday at the earliest to decide whether having one goalkeeper at a club who has only ever played for fucking Wrexham constitutes an emergency.

I love football. But sometimes its not easy.

Lescott is crocked, but has turned out 25 times for us. He should def be on the plane then!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Grob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:11 am

King a strong defender but he'll struggle turning with Adebayor. Tevez dropping deep will also mean he'll have to be mobile. Hopefully the front 2 will pull him all over the pitch.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby spiv » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:38 am

I blame Harry Redknapp of course, he's a triffic player really.
spiv
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: .

Postby Haz » Sat May 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Well he's playing against Notlob..........
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby Beeks » Sat May 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Haz wrote:Well he's playing against Notlob..........

this could be a mistake by twitchy playing him today
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Manx Blue » Sat May 01, 2010 5:02 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Just been out in the car and was listening to Talksport ....I'm sure twitchy said he was going to be fit for Wednesday.
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Sat May 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Manx Blue wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Just been out in the car and was listening to Talksport ....I'm sure twitchy said he was going to be fit for Wednesday.

We shall see either way I reckon we will go guns blazing Wednesday.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum