What a City manager needs to learn...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What a City manager needs to learn...

Postby guv111 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:24 pm

...from Taggart.

And it definitely doesn't involve being sober, articulate or consistent. It doesn't even involve being a half-decent human being.

What it does involve is having ordinary players and making them look like world beaters. Yes, the likes of Carrick and Brown and Park and Anderson and Nani etc etc are ordinary, bordering on hopeless - vastly overrated clowns of footballers. But given a few pertinent words they can and often do rise above their blatant ordinariness and gel as team players.

This season, we have had four chances to stuff the rags back to the level they belong at: that of the overblown, overstuffed elongated joke of a club that they have become. On all but ONE occasion (a futile one that that, in the end), we failed. F.A.I.L.E.D. Jeez, even Kevin Keegan and SGE did consistently better than this!

Maybe we will have Mancini in charge next season. It looks like that could be the case. I for one am glad. It brings continuity. But, that is just the first step. Next season, then, wherever we finish this year (I've predicted sixth), we need to push on. Also, what we need is a manager - a long-term one at that - who will stay and build the club at every level. I want to see us, in five years, with a manager who not only gets the most out of the glory boys, but also the very best out of our versions of Park and Brown, ordinary players who will be elevated beyond themselves, and do a great job when called upon. THEN we will be perennial title challengers.

It's in City's hands now to become any kind of club we want to be. Let's learn from the best, but make sure we throw away the detritus, too.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: What a City manager needs to learn...

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Do you see Mancini as the man for the 5 years or just for next season?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:35 pm

guv111 wrote:...from Taggart.

And it definitely doesn't involve being sober, articulate or consistent. It doesn't even involve being a half-decent human being.

What it does involve is having ordinary players and making them look like world beaters. Yes, the likes of Carrick and Brown and Park and Anderson and Nani etc etc are ordinary, bordering on hopeless - vastly overrated clowns of footballers. But given a few pertinent words they can and often do rise above their blatant ordinariness and gel as team players.

This season, we have had four chances to stuff the rags back to the level they belong at: that of the overblown, overstuffed elongated joke of a club that they have become. On all but ONE occasion (a futile one that that, in the end), we failed. F.A.I.L.E.D. Jeez, even Kevin Keegan and SGE did consistently better than this!

Maybe we will have Mancini in charge next season. It looks like that could be the case. I for one am glad. It brings continuity. But, that is just the first step. Next season, then, wherever we finish this year (I've predicted sixth), we need to push on. Also, what we need is a manager - a long-term one at that - who will stay and build the club at every level. I want to see us, in five years, with a manager who not only gets the most out of the glory boys, but also the very best out of our versions of Park and Brown, ordinary players who will be elevated beyond themselves, and do a great job when called upon. THEN we will be perennial title challengers.

It's in City's hands now to become any kind of club we want to be. Let's learn from the best, but make sure we throw away the detritus, too.

But in seasons gone buy we have never been Chelsea or Arsenal and pretty much always got beat by Liverpool. I dont think a season should revolve around beating the rags. Look at Sven, yeah he won two derbys but i can recall getting dicked 6-0 at the Bridge and even worse getting dicked at Boro 7-1.

I think you are being of a slighty biased "Blue" view when making your claims about Nani, Carrick and even Park. When i have seen Park play he has always done a very good job and looks a decent player. You telling me that not one of them players you listed above would not make it into our squad? IMO they would. You do not play at the rags if your not half decent.

Im not a Nani fan but he has improved 100% this season and now has a bit of product at the end. For all my hatered of all things United you can not knock what they have achived and can not knock Fergie who will prob go down as the greatest manager in English club football. I have to agree that you need to look at the way he runs his ship and how he gets the best out of his players but i dont think these players are poor as you make out in the first place.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby pepsi_dave » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:45 pm

We sacked our last "Long Term" manager who was involoved in all of the above elements you mention!!! Thrilled to bits that Mancini is staying, but my guess would be, that with Marwood appearing to have a lot of influence with some of the signings we have made, we won't have any of what you mention!!!

I was very impressed with the way Hughes came accross very professionally, and he appeared to know exactly what was needed, and seemed to know exactly what was needed to fix it. However on the pitch this wasn't the case. With Mancini, our results on the pitch may be better, however I have the feeling that Mancin isn't as involved behind the scenes as Hughes was.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm

pepsi_dave wrote:

We sacked our last "Long Term" manager who was involoved in all of the above elements you mention!!! Thrilled to bits that Mancini is staying, but my guess would be, that with Marwood appearing to have a lot of influence with some of the signings we have made, we won't have any of what you mention!!!

I was very impressed with the way Hughes came accross very professionally, and he appeared to know exactly what was needed, and seemed to know exactly what was needed to fix it. However on the pitch this wasn't the case. With Mancini, our results on the pitch may be better, however I have the feeling that Mancin isn't as involved behind the scenes as Hughes was.

I also agree with this. MH was the one who wanted control and influence on every level. I dont think were gonna get this with marwood etc. Fergie doesnt and wouldnt work like this.

I also agree with the OP. OK maybe nani and carrick are half decent, but u cant deny that O'sHEA, Brown, neville and a few others are absolute shite.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Return to The Maine Football forum