Adam Johnson

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Adam Johnson

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Love the guy, breath of fresh air etc etc,

BUT.........

I don't think he's ready for these big games.
Chelsea, the Derby, Arsenal he's pretty much been invisible on the pitch.
I think SWP should be back in for him against Villa and Spurs, he's got the experience, and I don't think he'll be like a rabbit in the headlights like Johnson will be.

As I said, I love the guy, and he's gonna be a star in the next 2 seasons, but for the good of the team give him a cameo last 20 to frighten the defence in the next couple of games.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Re: Adam Johnson

Postby OliverHardy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:05 pm

tends to agree there i think.
although maybe he has just had a few off games, as have many others
OliverHardy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby The Man In Blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Agreed mate. Also needs to work on his stamina and fitness - a good pre season with us should do the trick.

Then there is experience - only one way to get that.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm

I've got no issues with him whatsoever other than I think his nerves get the better of him in the big games.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby guv111 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:11 pm

He looked like he needed a rest the other day. We can't expect a player fresh from the Championship to turn it on week in, week out. It's just too much of a hike in standard.

I hate to be reasonable again, but Mancini cannot hope for a 34-year old (really? Is that all?) to come from sleepy old Serie A and hope to be effective in the far more energetic PL. Again, on far too regular a basis.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:11 pm

i think he needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool and protected ala giggs, fuck this world cup talk! The guy has come from div 1 to being one of our best players that cant be right, we need to nurture him and play him in the right games not rely on him to be a matchwinner in massive games when hes only in the door and has barely played at this level...
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby guv111 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Dubciteh wrote:i think he needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool and protected ala giggs, fuck this world cup talk! The guy has come from div 1 to being one of our best players that cant be right, we need to nurture him and play him in the right games not rely on him to be a matchwinner in massive games when hes only in the door and has barely played at this level...

That's what I meant to say ;@)
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby simon12 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:Love the guy, breath of fresh air etc etc,

BUT.........

I don't think he's ready for these big games.
Chelsea, the Derby, Arsenal he's pretty much been invisible on the pitch.
I think SWP should be back in for him against Villa and Spurs, he's got the experience, and I don't think he'll be like a rabbit in the headlights like Johnson will be.

As I said, I love the guy, and he's gonna be a star in the next 2 seasons, but for the good of the team give him a cameo last 20 to frighten the defence in the next couple of games.

On the evidence of the last couple of weeks I don`t think there`s much to add.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby sandman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm

He needs the bollocks to run at people with the hope of putting the cross in rather than bottling it cutting inside and losing the ball in a poor fashion.

Showed Evra far too much respect.. He is good enough to face him.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:08 pm

SWP for me please ! did anybody notice Superman "skulking" on the bench at Arsenal ? he looked well pissed off and based on the post we are reading I would say he would be a better bet than AJ at this moment. We have had a look at him now put him away for next season. Time for the experienced boys to play.
My wife says " You only support City because they keep going down on you"
eastlands-lostboy
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:18 pm

agree with OP and others, he seems to just slightly underperform against the top opposition. That might be as much to getting used to the vigours of the prem as much as anything though. He seems a sensible lad an i rekon he would cope psychologically whatever he was asked to do.. realising himself that he needs time.
Agree though that against the best teams perhaps give him a break now and again and let swp take the sting out of the oppo first.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Vhero » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Still young and showing it... If people remember Tranaldo was exactly the same he always went missing in the big matches early on in his career.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Vhero wrote:Still young and showing it... If people remember Tranaldo was exactly the same he always went missing in the big matches early on in his career.

what do you mean exactly by "early on"?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby btajim » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:I've got no issues with him whatsoever other than I think his nerves get the better of him in the big games.

It's all experience for him. He can be a passenger but still contribute in certain Matches - but I'd be worried if we had to rely on him for creativity against a Top 4 side.

The Lad most definitely has a big future with City and Capello likes him. That's a good sign.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Not been great in the last few games but not been allowed to play on the left for even 5 mins out of a possible 180+ either.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby gillie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Not been great in the last few games but not been allowed to play on the left for even 5 mins out of a possible 180+ either.

Ted i totally agree about him getting more time on his natural side.I dont really like this new fangled wing play idea of left on right and vice versa as it means if the winger goes on the outside of his fullback he will always be trying to cross with his weaker foot.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Florida Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:55 am

guv111 wrote:He looked like he needed a rest the other day. We can't expect a player fresh from the Championship to turn it on week in, week out. It's just too much of a hike in standard.

I hate to be reasonable again, but Mancini cannot hope for a 34-year old (really? Is that all?) to come from sleepy old Serie A and hope to be effective in the far more energetic PL. Again, on far too regular a basis.

Guv, I don't get this statement. He had 5 months of Prem experience under his belt at the time of transfer, not sure I would call that fresh.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john68 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:05 am

Spot on Bingo...Good Call mate...
I would put him on the bench and possibly consider him as an option if necessary and the game was developing in a way he could make an impact.
Definately one for next season...and we shouldn't forget Weiss for the other side of the pitch.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Geo123 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 pm

john68 wrote:Spot on Bingo...Good Call mate...
I would put him on the bench and possibly consider him as an option if necessary and the game was developing in a way he could make an impact.
Definately one for next season...and we shouldn't forget Weiss for the other side of the pitch.

Mate Weiss is a right winger also and raw as fook, needs a further loan spell if you ask me as hes been very up and down for bolton, not ready to step in yet
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Return to The Maine Football forum