Wayne Bridge.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Wayne Bridge.

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm not someone who particularly dislikes him but when you look at his time with the club, his injury record & his level of performance when he is playing regularly, is it time we said 'enough's enough' & signed a replacement, or even two?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Wayne Bridge.

Postby King Kev » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:28 pm

We need a decent back-up that's for sure. Sylv is too old and for some reason Garrido just isn't fancied.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 pm

King Kev wrote:We need a decent back-up that's for sure. Sylv is too old and for some reason Garrido just isn't fancied.

I was meaning more as a 1st choice though. I recon we've not had good value out of him with injuries & 'ok' but not great performances. I think he should be backup to someone else or sold & we bring 2 new players in.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby avoidconfusion » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Wayne Bridge is a great guy I think and a decent player. But you are right, he is not good enough for a team that has Top 4 ambitions or even wants to challenge for the title.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:12 pm

i agree. make him the back up.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:03 am

i just can't believe the variety of injuries he sustains. Normally, a player out as much as him has an issue that keeps recurring or they can't ever really get over, but one thing bridge doesn't lack is creativity on the treatment table.

we need two serious fullbacks this summer as starters imho. No question.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 am

the question is who could replace him??

Also ive said this before but why does garrido never get a look in?always fucked about by us but no doubt recalled for next game before been dumped out of the 16 its madness....

ps im not mad on zabba left back...
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby s1ty m » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:58 am

I would argue that Bridge has been mildly crap for city. Replacement? Easy, try for Clichy. And what people see in Zabaleta is beyond me, he is horrible!
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby aaron bond » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 am

s1ty m wrote:I would argue that Bridge has been mildly crap for city. Replacement? Easy, try for Clichy. And what people see in Zabaleta is beyond me, he is horrible!

I don't see what's so great about Zabaleta either. He has had a few good games, but overall he runs around a lot, puts in a couple of crunching tackles and the fans go crazy for him. The reality is, he actually doesn't really add much to the side. Same with De Jong...
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby shortagain » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 am

aaron bond wrote:
s1ty m wrote:I would argue that Bridge has been mildly crap for city. Replacement? Easy, try for Clichy. And what people see in Zabaleta is beyond me, he is horrible!

I don't see what's so great about Zabaleta either. He has had a few good games, but overall he runs around a lot, puts in a couple of crunching tackles and the fans go crazy for him. The reality is, he actually doesn't really add much to the side. Same with De Jong...

Ha Ha Ha, the last comment confirms you are either joking or in need of glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby aaron bond » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:44 am

shortagain wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

Ha Ha Ha, the last comment confirms you are either joking or in need of glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not joking at all. Apart from a few crunching tackles, in my opinion, De Jong doesn't add anything to the side. He never scores and I can't remember him even setting a goal up. I know his job is 'defensive midfielder' but no Premiership footballer should be so limited in terms of what they can do.

A while back, someone posted on here our win-ratio when De Jong is and isn't in the side. It was far higher when he wasn't in the side. We are a more attacking side when De Jong doesn't play. I love his commitment to the cause, but a top side cannot afford to carry a player who can only tackle and not do anything else.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:58 am

I've been saying this about bridge since we signed him.
He's feigned a career. Why do you think he was so happy sitting on the bench at Chelsea? Its because nobody knew how crap he was, and everyone thought he was unlucky because of Cashley, and was guarenteed an place in the England squad. Well overrated.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby viking the Odd » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:12 am

We need a new left back and right back to go straight into the team, Bridge has no consisitency,he has had a poor season, but would make a good back up. Also Zabeleta is a good utility player, and Richards probally will be off, so a world class replacement at right back is essential.
viking the Odd
Robinho's Step Over

Postby irblinx » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:17 am

Bridge became a scapegoat early on but the simple truth is that he was the best player on the park in a number of pre-Mancini matches both defensively and supporting the attack. If we had a first choice back four fit, Zabba/Micah, Kompany, Lescott, Bridge we'd be solid but unfortunately that hasn't happened so far. Interestingly I still think that Zabba's best performances for us have been at LB!
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:20 am

viking the Odd wrote:We need a new left back and right back to go straight into the team, Bridge has no consisitency,he has had a poor season, but would make a good back up. Also Zabeleta is a good utility player, and Richards probally will be off, so a world class replacement at right back is essential.

I don't think Bridge is poor when he plays but I don't think he's very often what you'd call 'good' either, he's just sort of there. As you say, none the fullbacks we have are particularly good & that could be even more important if Mancini stays & wants to play a solid type of midfield. The fullbacks would then be pushed forward & become two of our most important attackers; something else Bridge has been very average at doing.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:37 am

All our defenders, Bridge included, will look better in a settled back four. We haven't had that kind of luck with injuries as yet. In Mancini's position I'd be wanting to see how they go next season without injuries all over the place before signing new people, who need time to settle in etc etc.

Just because you have got money does not mean you must spend it.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:17 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:All our defenders, Bridge included, will look better in a settled back four. We haven't had that kind of luck with injuries as yet. In Mancini's position I'd be wanting to see how they go next season without injuries all over the place before signing new people, who need time to settle in etc etc.

Mancini has to pick his targets & sign them though. He can't be hanging around & experimenting next season or he'll just find himself in the position Hughes was in; trying to bring in new players, build a team & win most games at the same time. He needs to get it done & get the new players bedded in.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:53 am

He's had a good season when he's been able to string a few matches together, I still think he is England's second best left back by quite a margin. IF he had to be replaced I wouldn't argue with Clichy or Bale, though I don't think we really need to replace him at all. Maybe invest in a promising youngster if we haven't got one to promote next season already.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Zabaleta is a monster in centre midfield. fact. Dont fancy him as a full back.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:All our defenders, Bridge included, will look better in a settled back four. We haven't had that kind of luck with injuries as yet. In Mancini's position I'd be wanting to see how they go next season without injuries all over the place before signing new people, who need time to settle in etc etc.

Mancini has to pick his targets & sign them though. He can't be hanging around & experimenting next season or he'll just find himself in the position Hughes was in; trying to bring in new players, build a team & win most games at the same time. He needs to get it done & get the new players bedded in.

Or leave things in defence as they are. Now there's an idea.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum