Shay Given's injury

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Shay Given's injury

Postby King Kev » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Blue Toy wrote:Available....

Ha ha, great minds think alike, I was just going to ask if he was still playing!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:56 pm

I'd get Lee_Kinda, great aglity and lighting reflexes.....
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby carolina-blue » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I'd get Lee_Kinda, great aglity and lighting reflexes.....

What are you doing next week ???
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:07 pm

carolina-blue wrote:

Oh i'm busy next week with my own game, I'm a bit like Ledley King can only play one game a week :-)
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:09 pm

surely they should us let us get someone in if we need/ wanted too with our 2 keepers injured. OR this should be some clause in harts contract!

On topic, i would rather have this gunnar lad in than nervous taylor.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Keegan said he's had an injury there before & reconed that's his season over.

Villa & Spurs are much better than that pale anaemic Arsenal side & will get shots/headers on target & put quality crosses in, so we could do with an experienced stopper imo, if we're allowed to bring one in.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue Toy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Forced goalkeeping situations have a habit of producing heroes.

I think one of the best double saves I've ever seen was Arnie Arason's in "that" game against spurs when we won 4-3.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Blue Toy wrote:Forced goalkeeping situations have a habit of producing heroes.

I think one of the best double saves I've ever seen was Arnie Arason's in "that" game against spurs when we won 4-3.

He was fantastic that day.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Florida Blue » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:21 pm

King Kev wrote:If, as I suspect, he has dislocated his shoulder then hopefully he will be available next week.

The way they were dealing with it, it looked more like a dislocation than a low grade separation, though it could be a high grade one. A separation is a 4-to-6 week injury with little residual impact, unless it requires surgery (high grade), which the most severe do. Separation is the shoulder from the collarbone, so if they are saying collarbone, from what I say looked like dislocation.

Dislocations are something that once they happen, it is very likely to happen again, a separation is usually a one-time trauma, and if it happened again would not be related to first incident.

That said, a shoulder dislocation usually involves ligaments stretching, I don't see anyway possible he is back next week, let alone next month.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:23 pm

I dislocated a thumb a few months ago and couldn't believe how painful it was - no way is childbirth worse than that and i didn't even get any drugs.

If it'd been somewhere bigger, say my shoulder, i think i'd have cried too.

It was also bruised for a couple of weeks and was about a month before i could move it properly. I didn't see the incident today, but i doubt we'll see him again this season
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carolina-blue » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
carolina-blue wrote:

Oh i'm busy next week with my own game, I'm a bit like Ledley King can only play one game a week :-)

bugR......... ....Well thats It then were Gunner have to cope , Come on CITY ,
carolina-blue

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Obviously very few of us have seen much of Nielsen, but I thought he looked confident, assured and did well today. He's a big lad isn't he? Must be 6,4"
Question for Doug - Doug would you say he is the next best keeper in the squad after Given? Taylor seems to have dropped down the pecking order. What about the young German lad you mentioned?
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Florida Blue » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Blue Toy wrote:Forced goalkeeping situations have a habit of producing heroes.

I said that in the match thread, exactly, it happens.

I still remember when West Ham was playing PNE for promotion at the end of 2006. The Hammers keeper, I can't recall his name came out to the edge of the box to catch a ball, as he landed blew out his knee, while falling outside the box. On the ensuing free kick, Steve Bywater, probably not even warm, made the save of his life to preserve the 1-0 win and promotion.

Gunnar is young enough to even realize the pressue, and his confidence today in the face of pressure (tested or not) looked strong and poised. I am quite content he will not be the issue!!
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:Obviously very few of us have seen much of Nielsen, but I thought he looked confident, assured and did well today. He's a big lad isn't he? Must be 6,4"
Question for Doug - Doug would you say he is the next best keeper in the squad after Given? Taylor seems to have dropped down the pecking order. What about the young German lad you mentioned?

It was refreshing to see him on the edge of his box collecting loose balls instead of being stuck on his line !!!!
On the little showing he had , Im pretty confident in him to continue in goal.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby gillie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 pm

I am almost sure that we can ask for an emergency loan of a keeper even outside of the transfer window.We have to prove we are in dire need of goalkeeping cover though.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Poor fella was crying as he was carried off, must fucking hurt! even if its a dislocation I would imagine that would cause some muscle damage and mean his season is over. I no you can pop a finger back in but a shoulder is obv different. Ive heard a hip is the worst one you can do though so lets be glad it wasnt that ha
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:54 pm

gillie wrote:I am almost sure that we can ask for an emergency loan of a keeper even outside of the transfer window.We have to prove we are in dire need of goalkeeping cover though.

Who would you go for mate?

Of the top of my head I can't think of anyone. At least gunnar/taylor has trained with the lads. I'd probably get someone in on loan as backup, and they would need to speak english. Unless theres a sorenson / kirkland type about to throw in.

Its embarssing that stuart taylor is are number 2 imo as he looked shocking in parts in the cup.
We also need to sort the left back slot out.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mrs Dub » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:56 pm

I have been speculating this site for a long time and haven't said anything, but after seeing this thread I couldn't help myself! There are alot of members of this site who have slated Given many a time when there was no need to, seriously he is the best keeper in the premier league, now that he has injured himself maybe it will make you appreciate him more. Bottom line is we're lost without him, he's passionate and a good leader to the team! Never mind getting another goalkeeper to step in, if anyone is going to take over given's place it has to be Joe Harte, he's ours NOW GIVE HIM BACK NOW!!!
Mrs Dub
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Man City of course!
My favourite player is: Bellamy.......of course

Postby gillie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Nick wrote:
gillie wrote:I am almost sure that we can ask for an emergency loan of a keeper even outside of the transfer window.We have to prove we are in dire need of goalkeeping cover though.

Who would you go for mate?

Of the top of my head I can't think of anyone. At least gunnar/taylor has trained with the lads. I'd probably get someone in on loan as backup, and they would need to speak english. Unless theres a sorenson / kirkland type about to throw in.

Its embarssing that stuart taylor is are number 2 imo as he looked shocking in parts in the cup.
We also need to sort the left back slot out.

I have just checked and if Taylor is still injured we should in theory be allowed to sign a keeper on an emergency loan basis.
I have'nt got a clue who though lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 pm

Mrs Dub wrote:I have been speculating this site for a long time and haven't said anything, but after seeing this thread I couldn't help myself! There are alot of members of this site who have slated Given many a time when there was no need to, seriously he is the best keeper in the premier league, now that he has injured himself maybe it will make you appreciate him more. Bottom line is we're lost without him, he's passionate and a good leader to the team! Never mind getting another goalkeeper to step in, if anyone is going to take over given's place it has to be Joe Harte, he's ours NOW GIVE HIM BACK NOW!!!

Hm I agree that city fans have possibly over slated him, but its bang on the money that he has been getting lax in the second part of the season. His kicking has been woeful at times.

It sticks in my head what someone said on here last week. At newcastle and here under hughes, given was used to shots being peppered at his goal. Now, he rarely has to do anything for most of the match, yet switches off and then usually lets in the one chance he has to save.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum