Portsmouth Not Allowed In Europa League... [merged]

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Portsmouth Not Allowed In Europa League... [merged]

Postby King Kev » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 am

The place will go to the team finishing 7th in The Prem (breaking news on SkySports News)

Good news for Liverpool then!
Last edited by King Kev on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Portsmouth Not Allowed In Europa League...

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:28 am

£120 Mill in Debt....regardless of who's to blame....fucking rightly so

If they can't pay all the small businesses and organisations, why the fuck should they get themselves deeper in debt by swanning around Europe?
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby OliverHardy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 am

If Liverpool won the tournament this year wouldn't that give them automatic qualification, opening it up for 8th place? Everton, at a stretch Brum
OliverHardy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Slim » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 am

Not even winning the Cup will enough...
By Zack Wilson
22 Apr 2010 12:04:00

Portsmouth will not be allowed to play in next season's Europa League despite their feats in this season's FA Cup competition, the FA have today confirmed.

Pompey failed to make an initial application for a UEFA club licence at the start of March because their paperwork was not in order due to their having entered administration.

Andrew Andronikou, the administrator, had expressed hope that a late application might be considered by the game's govering bodies.

However, the FA confirmed that no late applications for licences will be considered.

"The FA and Premier League have confirmed to the administrators of Portsmouth Football Club that they shall not consider any late application for granting of a UEFA Club Licence for the 2010-11 season," the statement read.

Portsmouth have already been relegated from the Premier League, largely as a result of the nine-point penalty they suffered as a sanction for going into administration.

The FA also confirmed that the team finishing seventh in the Premier League at the end of the season will go into the Europa League.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 am

Does that now guarantee us European football?
Original Dub

Postby ENIAM NAM » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am

King Kev wrote:The place will go to the team finishing 7th in The Prem (breaking news on SkySports News)

We could be 7th come sunday night!!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:44 am

ENIAM NAM wrote:
King Kev wrote:The place will go to the team finishing 7th in The Prem (breaking news on SkySports News)

We could be 7th come sunday night!!

And if we end up there, it would be the first time in 30+ years we'd actually qualified for Europe

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Scatman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:57 am

OliverHardy wrote:If Liverpool won the tournament this year wouldn't that give them automatic qualification, opening it up for 8th place? Everton, at a stretch Brum

Entry isn't automatic. It needs the FA to put in a request to UEFA to allow them to be entered, which UEFA then consider. If Portsmouth don't get in and it goes down to 7th, then as Liverpool will have qualified already, it won't need the FA to put in the request. It won't go down to 8th. However, if Liverpool finish below Everton in 8th place, Everton will qualify and FA will have to make a request for Liverpool to go in as the Europa Champions.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

7th Means Europe For Definite!

Postby Craig B » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Now that Pompey have been refused entry to the Europa League.

Worth noting I suppose should things really go tits up for us in the coming weeks..

LINK
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Re: 7th Means Europe For Definite!

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:04 pm

[urlnp=http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=31956&sid=fb71cb4a0abec1fc4a1206ee62accc0c]LINK[/urlnp] already pal
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Vhero » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Yep it means we are pretty much in Europe next season 1 more win and we are there Everton are on 54 points with 3 games remaining meaning max points is 63 points and we are on 62 points now and they currently lie in 7th.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Craig B » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm

craigmcfc wrote:[urlnp=http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=31956&sid=fb71cb4a0abec1fc4a1206ee62accc0c]LINK[/urlnp] already pal

Ooops... my apologies! Need to open my eyes! ;-)
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:09 pm

We need this to be cleared up for sure because from what I remember, Uefa said that should the Liverpool/Everton scenario happen again (ie one team wins the comp and another qualifies via the league), then the winner of the comp takes the place of the other.

So if Liverpool win the Uefa cup and finish 8th, or even 7th, then we might not get European football at all if we fuck up big time?

I'll fucking cry if that happens. Anyone?
Original Dub

European Football Information

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:10 pm

Afternoon chaps!

With Portsmouth's failed attempt at getting into Europe, we now need two points from our final four games to at least get into the Europa League, and we all know the scenario by now for Champions League qualification!!

Here's the Wiki links for both competitions. If we get into the CL, our qualifications games are 17/18th & 24/25 August. The Premiership starts on the 14th of August, so the games come thick and fast regardless of competition.

Europa League wise...if we finish 5th or 6th, we play in the "play off round", on 19th & 28th August. Finish 7th, and we start a round earlier on 29th July & 5th August

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80 ... ons_League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80 ... opa_League

I think I'm right in saying Wembley host the CL final, whilst Dublin and Landsdowne Road hosts the Europa

Manx Blue

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Original Dub wrote:We need this to be cleared up for sure because from what I remember, Uefa said that should the Liverpool/Everton scenario happen again (ie one team wins the comp and another qualifies via the league), then the winner of the comp takes the place of the other.

So if Liverpool win the Uefa cup and finish 8th, or even 7th, then we might not get European football at all if we fuck up big time?

We need two points from four games to qualify for the Europa league at least...the maximum Everton can finish on is 63....Brum are out of it

Manx Blue

Postby Slim » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Original Dub wrote:We need this to be cleared up for sure because from what I remember, Uefa said that should the Liverpool/Everton scenario happen again (ie one team wins the comp and another qualifies via the league), then the winner of the comp takes the place of the other.

1. Only happens with Champions League.
2. We are 1 point away from minimum 7th, If we finish 7th, Liverpool would have to finish at least 6th, therefore the 7th spot becomes Europa again.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Slim wrote:

2. We are 1 point away from minimum 7th, If we finish 7th, Liverpool would have to finish at least 6th, therefore the 7th spot becomes Europa again.

2 points slim

if we get battered in games we'd lose out on GD so give me that extra point any day of the week.

Manx Blue

Postby Slim » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Manx Blue wrote:
Slim wrote:

2 points slim

if we get battered in games we'd lose out on GD so give me that extra point any day of the week.

Fine, two points.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Slim wrote:
Manx Blue wrote:
Slim wrote:

2 points slim

Fine, two points.

Nice work fella

Manx Blue

Re: Portsmouth Not Allowed In Europa League... [merged]

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Svensational wrote:I hope Everton beat Liverpool to it!

I don't.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum