Onuoha turns back on Fabio

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Onuoha turns back on Fabio

Postby Mase » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Couldn't see it anywhere but couldn't really be arsed looking. Remove if it's already been done.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1202957_onuoha_turns_back_on_fabio

Nedum Onuoha is ready to turn his back on England and play for Nigeria in the World Cup.

The City defender rebuffed an approach from the country of his birth in 2007, as he hoped to force his way into the England side.

But now, with Fabio Capello's squad sporting several top-class centre-halves and Onuoha finding it tough to break into City's first team, he admits he would welcome any further overtures from Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback.

But the former England Under-21 international knows he has to perform for City during the final few weeks of the season if he is to win a place in South Africa, and has firmly set his sights first on helping the Blues secure a place in the top four of the Premier League.

Onuoha made his first league start of 2010 in the 6-1 thumping of Burnley on Saturday after Micah Richards suffered a knee injury and Pablo Zabaleta was suspended.

But Richards is expected to be fit for Sunday's visit of Birmingham to Eastlands, and the Blues' defence will be further boosted by the return of Wayne Bridge.

Now Onuoha is hoping he did enough at Turf Moor to persuade manager Roberto Mancini to give him a chance against Birmingham, and enhance his hopes of playing in the World Cup.

"I'd like to play in the remaining six games for City, and if I did that maybe the chance would be there to play for Nigeria," said Onuoha.

"But if I am not playing week in, week out, I wouldn't expect to receive a call from anyone, because it wouldn't be right.

"Everyone wants to play in the World Cup, but things have to be right and you have to be selected. A lot of people are talking about it as though it is an option, but I have never been called up, so it's not something I can really talk about."

Bridge was expected back in training today, while Stevie Ireland is now over his ankle problem and should further bolster the squad for the clash with Birmingham.

Reserve keeper Stuart Taylor needs surgery on a knee injury, which means Faroe Islands international Gunnar Nielsen will keep his place as Shay Given's understudy.

Longer term, Martin Petrov (knee) may be back in contention for the Manchester derby on April 17, while Joleon Lescott (hamstring tendon) is still at least two weeks away from returning to training.

Big mistake if he did choose Nigeria imo. Don't really like England but you just have to look at how Gaz Baz has become one of the first names on the England team sheet in more recent years after hardly featuring for so many.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Onuoha turns back on Fabio

Postby 13021J » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Have to agree because there is a real shortage of quality English CB's at the moment. Upson is 3rd choice and garbage, probably Jagielka 4th. Rio has a dodgy back and Terry could be involved in another scandal at any point in the future.

Shame he isn't playing CB regularly at the moment otherwise he may be in with a shout, remeber his form towards the end of last season? However I think Lescott and Kompany have the edge over him, not sure about Kolo though?
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Mase » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:20 pm

13021J wrote:Have to agree because there is a real shortage of quality English CB's at the moment. Upson is 3rd choice and garbage, probably Jagielka 4th. Rio has a dodgy back and Terry could be involved in another scandal at any point in the future.

Shame he isn't playing CB regularly at the moment otherwise he may be in with a shout, remeber his form towards the end of last season? However I think Lescott and Kompany have the edge over him, not sure about Kolo though?

If anyone is going to cost us 4th it's definitely Toure! The guy is shite and once again at fault for the goal we conceded on Saturday.
I'd have Ned in for Toure definitely at the moment.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby 13021J » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:26 pm

MaseCTID wrote:
13021J wrote:Have to agree because there is a real shortage of quality English CB's at the moment. Upson is 3rd choice and garbage, probably Jagielka 4th. Rio has a dodgy back and Terry could be involved in another scandal at any point in the future.

If anyone is going to cost us 4th it's definitely Toure! The guy is shite and once again at fault for the goal we conceded on Saturday.
I'd have Ned in for Toure definitely at the moment.

Yeah I think you're right mate, although I still can't get the Spuds away game out of my mind when Ned was not at his best.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Onouha needs to be a regular in our team before he can even consider England.

Agree that Upson is awful though, injury prone and with the turning circle of a small frigate. Cant for the life of me see why he would get in a sqaud of 60, let alone 22.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 am

Personally I'd think twice before turning my back on Fabio.

Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:57 am

One for Cutemancs there.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Vhero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 pm

Shame he wont be playing for England but the lad don't wanna wait forever and you can't blame him. Fabio could have at least trailed him in a couple of friendlies..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I think he's getting too eager, and miss the chance to play for England. I mean, ok, he can play for Nigeria at the next WC if he gets called, but after that, he can't go back on his choice, and he is stuck with playing for Nigeria for the rest of his career, while he still has a chance of getting an England spot in the future. If i were him I'd wait.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Unbelievable...this has nothing to do with Pride of representing your country through heritage..it is all to do with getting the chance to play on the big stage for whoever will have you.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:36 pm

I think he should have been used more as a fullback & by now he would be pretty good at it & maybe have a shout at an England World cup place. He's a better defender than Wes Brown will ever be but he's not strong enough in the air to be a top CB. If he'd learned to run with the ball a little better going forward he could be much better at fullback than Micah or Zabba with a bit more experience of the position. Been wasted imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I think he should have been used more as a fullback & by now he would be pretty good at it & maybe have a shout at an England World cup place. He's a better defender than Wes Brown will ever be but he's not strong enough in the air to be a top CB. If he'd learned to run with the ball a little better going forward he could be much better at fullback than Micah or Zabba with a bit more experience of the position. Been wasted imo.

agreed....he'll be off in the summer I reckon
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Vhero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

ant london wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I think he should have been used more as a fullback & by now he would be pretty good at it & maybe have a shout at an England World cup place. He's a better defender than Wes Brown will ever be but he's not strong enough in the air to be a top CB. If he'd learned to run with the ball a little better going forward he could be much better at fullback than Micah or Zabba with a bit more experience of the position. Been wasted imo.

Not a chance mate as academy players are exactly who we need to hold onto right now well young ones anyways. The older ones can leave and/or be replaced.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 pm

ant london wrote:

Terrible shame. The biggest blue in the squad, dead intelligent, absolutely great defender on the ground, pace to burn & we can't find a spot for him.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Fish111 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Unbelievable...this has nothing to do with Pride of representing your country through heritage..it is all to do with getting the chance to play on the big stage for whoever will have you.

Agree, smacks of desperation to play on the world stage. He needs to seriously concentrate on getting in our team before even thinking of playing for anyone. Which he does acknowledge to be fair to him. He just needs to stay patient. England quality central defenders are a pretty rare commodity at the moment and his time will come, unfortunately i think his future lies away from City.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum