Why have Liverpool never won the Premiership?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Why have Liverpool never won the Premiership?

Postby btajim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Patrick wrote:The question I dont understand is why didnt Mansour buy liverpool

the job would have been so much easier

Thank god he didnt

City were for sale. City had a 48,000 Seater Ground in place with the potential to increase the capacity.

If we finish above Liverpool this season then the job is going well.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:15 pm

Thank god he didnt

I think the whole point mate was to wake a sleeping giant. A club that has won nothing for over a generation yet has the fanbase to make it great given the financial backing.

They want to been seen as people that can build success time and time again.

I'm suprised they didn't buy newcastle TBH!
Original Dub

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:21 pm

just a quick checkpoint...the spelling in this thread is atrocious.

carry on.

cheers

EDIT: corrected a spelling error.

cheers again.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby ronk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:34 am

Original Dub wrote:

Thank god he didnt

I think the whole point mate was to wake a sleeping giant. A club that has won nothing for over a generation yet has the fanbase to make it great given the financial backing.

They want to been seen as people that can build success time and time again.

I'm suprised they didn't buy newcastle TBH!

Liverpool is a poison chalice. High price, existing owners unwilling to sell quickly, completely barking mad fans who'd be wildly hostile for no good reasons.

We actually like our owner and have welcomed him. His team can make changes and are trusted. How long would they last at Anfield before there'd be some large scale protests of some matter or other?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby dazby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 am

btajim wrote:
dazby wrote:Houllier, Rafa, Souness. Just not good enough.

Houllier regularly won Trophies and Rafa won the European Cup in his first season in the job. Ask anyone who are the biggest Clubs in English Football and Liverpool will be in the Top 3.

I think one of the best chances could've come during the Spice Boys days of Fowler, Redknapp, McManamanaman, McAteer and Collymore - but Roy Evans lost control of them.

Houllier had momentum in his time and s#ent all his money on------- Diouf. A world cu# #layer who showed a lot of #ace but didn't score a goal in the tournament. He then goes to Liver#ool and doesn't score many goals. Sur#rise Sur#rise.

That does it, I'm changing keyboards.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 am

Influence of Souness can not be highlighted enough here. He singlehandedly destroyed side that no one would've thought at the time would not win title in decades. I'm sure they are planning to make him honorary rag, that's how 'good' job he did. In fact, they were so good once that you thought whether anyone could regularily challenge them ever.

Evan's was a clown who let his players run the team and after him came managers who simply didn't understand what it takes to win Premier League. But it was Souness who put the ball the rolling.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Fish111 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 am

Liverpool have consistantly failed to build 'teams' like the scum & Arsenal have done over the years. They have bought the odd world class player to try and get the best out of the average players within the same team that were shit the previous year. Just look at todays team, without Torres & Gerrard would you really want any other player out of their squad? Maybe Mascherano at a push, but that's it really.
I really despise whiskey nose but you have to admit him & Wenger have proved they know their shit when it comes to rebuilding teams again and again. Can you also name any youngster that Liverpool have produced that has been real quality over the last 10 years? No-one springs immediately to mind. Their academy must be very poor at the moment.
They also have this thing that the manager should be aware of the 'Liverpool way', wtf? Just get the best manager for the job, i bet Wenger didn't have a clue about the 'Arsenal way' when he was working in the J League. Too much emphasis is being put on Liverpools history and the longer they keep spouting off about their history the longer in the past it will become and the memories will fade. They will soon have a generation of supporters who won't remember them winning a trophy, just like we have at the moment.
Fuck-em anyway. Move over bin dippers, it's our turn to make history.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:35 am

Fish111 wrote:Liverpool have consistantly failed to build 'teams' like the scum & Arsenal have done over the years. They have bought the odd world class player to try and get the best out of the average players within the same team that were shit the previous year. Just look at todays team, without Torres & Gerrard would you really want any other player out of their squad? Maybe Mascherano at a push, but that's it really.
I really despise whiskey nose but you have to admit him & Wenger have proved they know their shit when it comes to rebuilding teams again and again. Can you also name any youngster that Liverpool have produced that has been real quality over the last 10 years? No-one springs immediately to mind. Their academy must be very poor at the moment.
They also have this thing that the manager should be aware of the 'Liverpool way', wtf? Just get the best manager for the job, i bet Wenger didn't have a clue about the 'Arsenal way' when he was working in the J League. Too much emphasis is being put on Liverpools history and the longer they keep spouting off about their history the longer in the past it will become and the memories will fade. They will soon have a generation of supporters who won't remember them winning a trophy, just like we have at the moment.
Fuck-em anyway. Move over bin dippers, it's our turn to make history.

Agreed.

´History´ is something they are obsessed with (cling to). But as time goes on, their sustained period of success looks more and more isolated. Before that, bar the odd flash in the pan, they were mostly a second-level team, and the rate they are going financially they may go back where they came from pre-Shankly. Wolves had a sustained period of success before my time, as did Huddersfield pre-war etc.

To me Liverpool are just another club with huge delusions of grandeur.

City won the FA cup, League cup and a Euro trophy before them, and now we are coming back to win things after them!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby btajim » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 am

john@staustell wrote:To me Liverpool are just another club with huge delusions of grandeur.

Liverpool also have a huge Title haul to their name and have won Trophies in recent years. Pots and kettles if City try to compare their recent history to that of Liverpool FC.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby john@staustell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:01 am

btajim wrote:
john@staustell wrote:To me Liverpool are just another club with huge delusions of grandeur.

Liverpool also have a huge Title haul to their name and have won Trophies in recent years. Pots and kettles if City try to compare their recent history to that of Liverpool FC.

Mate - I dont give a flying fuck. As I said they had a sustained period of success and it´s gone, zappo. Before that they had fuck all. Cant you see it was just a snapshot in time, before and after, nothing?

You seem more obsessed with their ´history` than they are. Who cares?

It´s now and the future that matters.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 am

Thank god he didnt

From what I understand one of the key attractions of City lay in its location ie the surrounding area was ripe for redevelopment - Liverpool, Newcastle, Everton etc did not have this potential. Property development is very much their business so we were ideal in this respect thus proving the adage that its all about location, location and location.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:13 am

And we were cheap.
I really thought Newcastle was ripe for buying next, but hasn't happened.
I'm not sure how much appetite for the money swallowing world of Premiership football would exist for rich men right now.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 am

if you remember back to the takeover.. Frank went round saying that as he couldn't carry on he looked for suitors to take City to the next level. He stated after the takeover that the Shiek's people were good friends and associates and that is why he worked to get them to take City.
i am sure they wouldn't have bought us if they hadn't wanted to, but in some way maybe Dr Sinatra did his bit to help.. things like all the facts and figures up front as it wasn't a hostile takeover.. all the inside knowledge they could want etc etc..
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:33 pm

john@staustell wrote:Mate - I dont give a flying fuck. As I said they had a sustained period of success and it´s gone, zappo. Before that they had fuck all. Cant you see it was just a snapshot in time, before and after, nothing?

You seem more obsessed with their ´history` than they are. Who cares?

It´s now and the future that matters.

Are you showing your age? I'm 30. City have won nothing significant in my lifetime. Blackpool and Preston were once big Clubs - but do you think their older Fans still want to live on past glories? Liverpool have won everything apart from the Premier League within a reasonable period of time. I merely want to know why the Title has passed them by. Lots of investment, strong support etc. Similarities.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum