Why have Liverpool never won the Premiership?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Why have Liverpool never won the Premiership?

Postby btajim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 pm

Not a joke. I genuinely don't know.

They're a huge Club with a huge Fanbase and have incredible history that most Clubs could only dream about - yet the Premiership is nigh on 20 years old and the Bin Dippers have never lifted that Trophy. Blackburn Rovers have won it more times than they have.

What i'm trying to say is that City have loads of ambition and an Owner with deep pockets - but an ever present Premiership Club like Liverpool have still been unable to lift the one Trophy their Shellsuit wearing Fans are so desperately craving. Why?

What can we do that they can't? I think this shows what kind of level we need to strive towards.

Thoughts?
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Re: Why have Liverpool never won the Premiership?

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Scouce fans might know.. there again ;)

for me they just never seem to have enough strength in depth for all the comps they challenge in. They also seem to bring more than their fare share of duds to the Prem
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:58 pm

They haven´t been good enough (and they picked Souness as manager once!).

Youngsters only look at recent history, but if you look throughout time you will see a club that was formed after City, won the FA Cup, the League Cup AND a European trophy after City did. History? Football goes in cycles.

They then had a golden period of nearly (but not quite) 20 years, before which they were shite for most of ´history´. It came to an end.

Scum had a period of 25 years without winning the league. I wonder how many of their fans actually know that now?

Not too long ago clubs like Everton, Villa, Forest dominated. You can argue they never will again because of money - but money is the reason why both Liverpool and Scum are declining. So no reason why another mega-rich foreigner may not buy Everton, or Villa, or why QPR (EG) might not eventually put that money to use.

The big media myth that this degenerate mob will always - AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN - ´the big 4´ makes me sick.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby btajim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 pm

john@staustell wrote:They haven´t been good enough (and they picked Souness as manager once!).

They've won the Champions League and made the Final another time. They've won the FA Cup, Carling Cup and UEFA Cup. They've finished 2nd in the Premiership. Why has 1st always eluded them?

I'm just thinking what we have to do to ensure we win it.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Too many overrated players imo, which I suppose equates to rank bad management as well. Very few of their so called stars over the years have been as good as their reputations & that so far includes Torres imo as it doesn't matter what your capabilities are if you can't get on the pitch.

Benitez may have peaked there as a manager too & be going backwards as well as mental. Watched the brum game in a pub with a few scousers sat nearby. The reaction of stunned disbelief from them when he took Torres off & hilarity amongst everyone else was priceless. He's weakened a team which may have won the league by selling Alonso & buying players they didn't need rather than filling the important positions with quality. They needed to take that extra step this season but missed the chance & now need to rebuild yet again.

Can't see them winning it for a long time without big investment but perhaps that investment will come.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:18 pm

btajim wrote:
john@staustell wrote:They haven´t been good enough (and they picked Souness as manager once!).

They've won the Champions League and made the Final another time. They've won the FA Cup, Carling Cup and UEFA Cup. They've finished 2nd in the Premiership. Why has 1st always eluded them?

Great question...just a hunch, but getting the most points during the season would be a start.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby dazby » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Houllier, Rafa, Souness. Just not good enough.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby ronk » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Liverpool have been criminally bad at having their best years at the same time as someone else has a better one. They've had teams that finished 2nd who were far better than some of the teams who've won the prem.

For a lot of the early years Liverpool weren't that good. They consistently made some poor signings and lost momentum when they'd moved forward. Some of the last few years they've had far better teams, but failed to be in any way consistent over the whole season. A huge part of that has been points dropped easily when more important fixtures have been around the corner.

Some years they've been let down by their away record. They're a tactical team that's built for beating teams that try to play football against them. Teams have often been able to get something against them if they maintain their discipline against them. There are only so many penalties Gerrard can win.

Last year a run of 4 draws in January did a lot of the damage. So did 5 points dropped in fixtures very close either side to them beating Real Madrid. From there the season was out of their hands. They didn't lose the championship in the top 4 clashes (although they could have won it there).
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 pm

btajim wrote:

not sure that you can do anything to ensure it.
As far a City go to be in with a serious shout we need to resolve the midfield problem. that will take some time i imagine.. but we are only a couple of players added to the squad to be on paper good enough imo. The rest is down to the manager the ambition and fortune.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Slim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 pm

From the looks of it they have always struggled away from home and at least a couple of times from what I have seen they have struggled home and away against the top sides.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby paulmclaren » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm

They haven't won the prem because simply they have not been good enough.
To break into the top 3 clubs in this league is going to be one hell of an achievement for city.
Once this has been done we can safly say then we will be able to win the prem imo.
But getting there is another matter, money will not win us the league.
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby john@staustell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:11 pm

paulmclaren wrote:They haven't won the prem because simply they have not been good enough.
To break into the top 3 clubs in this league is going to be one hell of an achievement for city.
Once this has been done we can safly say then we will be able to win the prem imo.
But getting there is another matter, money will not win us the league.

You have a career as an TV pundit beckoning!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Vhero » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:07 pm

I always watch them with the missus and see there mistakes and there similaritys to City and think "THAT'S WHY THEY DIDN'T WIN THE LEAGUE LAST YEAR" Honestly the scouse fucks look as cursed as us on the pitch. They always look like there just about to do it and implode. Hopefully this season we are gonna see past it. However they are just getting worse and worse..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Wooders » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:19 pm

UTD and Arsenal have dominated the prem more or less since it began - then chelsea got in the mix, now we're making noise -

simple answer, they haven't been as good as UTD, Arsenal, Chelsea or Blackburn(!??) since the Prem started
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby patrickblue » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm

dazby wrote:Houllier, Rafa, Souness. Just not good enough.

I'm with you on that.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:42 pm

patrickblue wrote:

I'm with you on that.

SNAP!

Those guys had money and/or talent at their disposal and came up short. always one or two superstars in the team surrounded by players these managers thought were going to make it and ended up fucking off to some mid to upper league team in France or Spain.
Original Dub

Postby HeyMark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:10 pm

From watching the premier league years today I can offer that they regularly lose too many points when in a winning position
HeyMark

Postby btajim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Houllier regularly won Trophies and Rafa won the European Cup in his first season in the job. Ask anyone who are the biggest Clubs in English Football and Liverpool will be in the Top 3.

I think one of the best chances could've come during the Spice Boys days of Fowler, Redknapp, McManamanaman, McAteer and Collymore - but Roy Evans lost control of them.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Grob » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:07 pm

john@staustell wrote:They haven´t been good enough

add 'or consistant' between good and enough and you have the full answer.

If you had Torres in the Liverpool team of 3 years ago, they would be up there challanging. The supposting cast now isnt a patch on what it was 2 or 3 years ago.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:09 pm

The question I dont understand is why didnt Mansour buy liverpool

the job would have been so much easier

Thank god he didnt
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Next