The numbers game

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The numbers game

Postby s1ty m » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 am

A few interesting possibilities, based on the 6 remaining games.

if city do ok ish and, say, take 3 wins and 3 draws, 12 points, (very possible), we finish on 71 points. Liverpool would need to win 6 out 6 to pass us. Spurs will need 13 points. assuming we draw with them, they would need 12 from 5, 3 of which are versus rags, arse and chelsea.

looks good, no?

the bookies are usually correct: current odds for 4th...

found 2:

city 10/11
liverpool 13/5
spuds 3
villa 9

or,

city 5/6
liverpool 5/2
spuds 11/4
villa 10
everton 33

wow!
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Re: The numbers game

Postby King Kev » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 am

All interesting stuff, and looks very positive for us!

Can't believe the bookies fancy Liverpool more than Spurs though!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 am

I cant believe it - in fact I dont believe it - it just wont happen - this is city afterall - it would be such a huge step forward it cant happen

What will happen though is that we will be beaten 1-0 by wet spam on the last day and either lose 4th spot or europe and we will all have broken hearts - again

Im prepared

Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby CityGer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:12 am

King Kev wrote:All interesting stuff, and looks very positive for us!

Can't believe the bookies fancy Liverpool more than Spurs though!

Liverpool have got a very straight forward run in on paper compared to Spurs and I think they are the biggest threat. Spurs' next three league games are Arsenal, Chelsea and Rags. I can see Liverpool getting 14-16 points from their remaining six games, that would give them 68-70, and mean that we need 9 - 11 from our five.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: us

Postby simon12 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:13 am

This is very interesting..We`re evens with one bookie. Sorry it doesn`t copy and paste.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... p-4-finish
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:18 am

I've thought for a while that Scouse are still the biggest threat. Their problem is, that one mistake and they are knackered. Still believe they will post a total of around 66 and that 67/68 will do it. That said that includes me not expecting them to win today.
I also think that either Villa or especially Spurs will have little to play for when they come to us and possibly a cup final that will be more pressing for them.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 am

s1ty m wrote:A few interesting possibilities, based on the 6 remaining games.

if city do ok ish and, say, take 3 wins and 3 draws, 12 points, (very possible), we finish on 71 points. Liverpool would need to win 6 out 6 to pass us. Spurs will need 13 points. assuming we draw with them, they would need 12 from 5, 3 of which are versus rags, arse and chelsea.

looks good, no?

the bookies are usually correct: current odds for 4th...

found 2:

city 10/11
liverpool 13/5
spuds 3
villa 9

or,

city 5/6
liverpool 5/2
spuds 11/4
villa 10
everton 33

wow!

It's obviously a really interesting run in and especially great to be so involved in something as important so late in the season.You use the phrase " if we do okish" and then say 3 wins and 3 draws! I would say that would be an exceptional finish to go unbeaten through our remaining games asit would be for Spurs with their tough games. Liverpool are dark horses for me but the good news is thay have Chelsea to play and i would hope they won't win that one.

I am sure we will all be cheering Joe Hart on this afternoon as Pool losing points today will be a big deal.We should be favourites but must play well in the remaining games. Having said that we also musn't get negative if we do drop some points.We can afford to drop a few and still get 4th.

The real key as it has been all along is for us to play well and positively. We are a match for anybody playing positively.The scum are worried about coming to Coms and I am sure Arsenal don't fancy us either.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:26 am

It all seems so positive, that I'm sure it can't happen.

After spending 5 minutes dissecting how bad Burnley were, MOTD finally remembered there were two teams playing and mentioned that we should be favourites, as 4 of our last 6 are at home. We've got an advantage next week as well, as spurs are in the semi final, so we have the opportunity to open the gap before the get to play again. If they beat Fulham, can they keep their players minds on a chase for 4th with a cup final looming? When we play them, a few zabba/de jong challenges early on and how many of them will turn their minds to staying fit for the final?

We play Birmingham next week, who've been a bit hit and miss lately and will be without their first choice keeper.

Arsenal - by the time we play them, they could be out of the race for the league, but with eyes firmly on a champions league final. How many of their team would be rested for that game?

We play the rags with either no Rooney or a not fully fit Rooney, yet he should be back to face Spurs.

Liverpool have a tough game mid week and if they win that, that they have the semis to deal with and a decision on what their priority is - the club will want 4th, but will some of the players want a medal before they head off?

It's all lining up for us. It's back in our own hands and we've even resolved the goal difference problem. If we don't take 4th, it'll be our own fault. If Liverpool win the next 6 games and end up taking 4th, they'll have deserved it for their late run, but even then, if we take 14 points i.e. 4 wins and 2 draws, they can't catch us.

I might go and put a bet on City 0 - 3 Birmingham for next Sunday, just to cheer me up when it happens.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby simon12 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:27 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I've thought for a while that Scouse are still the biggest threat. Their problem is, that one mistake and they are knackered. Still believe they will post a total of around 66 and that 67/68 will do it. That said that includes me not expecting them to win today.I also think that either Villa or especially Spurs will have little to play for when they come to us and possibly a cup final that will be more pressing for them.

I will be suprised if they do as well.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby btajim » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:47 am

Patrick wrote:I cant believe it - in fact I dont believe it - it just wont happen - this is city afterall - it would be such a huge step forward it cant happen

What will happen though is that we will be beaten 1-0 by wet spam on the last day and either lose 4th spot or europe and we will all have broken hearts - again

Im prepared

Mr Optimistic!

5th will be an incredible achievement. I want to finish 4th - but we've improved for the last few seasons and the only way is up up up!
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 am

btajim wrote:
Patrick wrote:I cant believe it - in fact I dont believe it - it just wont happen - this is city afterall - it would be such a huge step forward it cant happen

Im prepared

Mr Optimistic!

5th will be an incredible achievement. I want to finish 4th - but we've improved for the last few seasons and the only way is up up up!

Fifth won't be an incredible achievement from where we are now. We have wanted this chance all season and here it is. We must take it now.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby everyonehatesus » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 am

At the start of this season we all said what we would be hapy to finish up with. I put 5th with a good cup run and push on from there next season. Well we were just beat by scum in the semi's and it looks like 5th is the minimum we will get so im well pleased as progress is happening.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby s1ty m » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 am

Given where we are this morning, 5th would be a let down. 4 of the next 5 at home? Could not have hoped for that.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m

Postby john@staustell » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:39 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I've thought for a while that Scouse are still the biggest threat. Their problem is, that one mistake and they are knackered. Still believe they will post a total of around 66 and that 67/68 will do it. That said that includes me not expecting them to win today.
I also think that either Villa or especially Spurs will have little to play for when they come to us and possibly a cup final that will be more pressing for them.

Me too Piccs. These pundits are so simple-minded they see Spuds in 4th 2 points ahead last week and say they´re in pole position´, because it suits their agenda. With Arse Scum Chelski and City away to play only a maniac would see them geting more than 6 points out of that, more probably 2 or 0. Liverpool have some easy games now Torres is back. We just need to keep winning.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby dikdik » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 pm

We win
We are 4th.
Simples
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby ruralblue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Im prepared

In typical City styleee Patrick, that will happen but it will happen with an own goal coming off the back of Tevez's head with 30 seconds to play.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby King Kev » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:03 pm

It is also the first time we have scored 60+ goals in a Premier League season.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby patrickblue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:31 pm

It's been in our own hands for a long time now, all the pundits going on about spuds was rubbish, they're pretty at home, but no defence when the going gets tough. Scouse have the best chance, but I believe they will bottle it starting this afternoon. If it was everton we were chasing 4th with I would be worried
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:44 pm

patrickblue wrote:It's been in our own hands for a long time now, [highlight]all the pundits going on about spuds was rubbish, they're pretty at home, but no defence when the going gets tough.[/highlight] Scouse have the best chance, [highlight]but I believe they will bottle it starting this afternoon.[/highlight] If it was everton we were chasing 4th with I would be worried

How can you provoke fate like this? How long have you been supporting City??
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby One cap Whitey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Villa are still a threat looking at their fixtures. The O'Neill stuff could galvanise the team too. I think they've got as much chance as the scouse of getting it.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum